Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I go to the zoo for the benches and paintings, you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just recalled that the state I used to live in has a lot of cow farms. The smaller breeds used for specialty cheeses were Swiss Browns and Jerseys. Jerseys, BTW, have very similar markings to deer, if deer grew to 800lbs. Stupid hunters would sometimes shoot farmers' cows mistaking them for monster deer. In one instance, a vehicle was spotted with a Holstein (http://wwwid.tripod.com/elmartinfarm/id24.html)strapped to it!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Actually worked at the zoo here in town briefly.

The stupidity...it burns.

Had one woman argue with a friend of mine who also worked there...that the arctic foxes were baby polar bears. Would not hear that they were foxes and not bears. This is the guy that put the animal chow together, I would think he'd know.

Geeze, I could go on all night about the stupidity I witnessed there.

Teenager not knowing what a rhino is. How the heck do you hit high school without knowing what a rhino is? And then when she read the sign on the enclosure, she freaking said it wrong.

At least she could read, sort of. Kind of.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        I just recalled that the state I used to live in has a lot of cow farms. The smaller breeds used for specialty cheeses were Swiss Browns and Jerseys. Jerseys, BTW, have very similar markings to deer, if deer grew to 800lbs. Stupid hunters would sometimes shoot farmers' cows mistaking them for monster deer. In one instance, a vehicle was spotted with a Holstein (http://wwwid.tripod.com/elmartinfarm/id24.html)strapped to it!
        If this were in Wisconsin, it would be blamed on beer.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My friend's 3-year-old daughter not only identifies several animals, but knows the ASL signs for them. If she can do it....
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Teenager not knowing what a rhino is. How the heck do you hit high school without knowing what a rhino is? And then when she read the sign on the enclosure, she freaking said it wrong.

At least she could read, sort of. Kind of.
            ...she read a Just So story by Kipling?

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            My friend's 3-year-old daughter not only identifies several animals, but knows the ASL signs for them. If she can do it....
            Teach me, o Wondrous Three Year Old.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I'm an animal nut, so we hang out at the zoo a lot. My kids actually know the difference between monkeys and apes.

They opened up a new "history of the zoo" exhibit so we went to go check it out. Now besides the tram, swan boats and endangered species carousel, they have all kinds of other rides and stuff for kids.

I mean really? You're already mostly outside, so it's okay to be loud. But do you need to stop and do the rock wall instead of checking out the awesome animals?

Heck I used to go to the zoo back when they didn't have any food services, so you had to pack your own picnic.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Oh, the zoo I was at had a separated amusement park area, with different ticket options for just the zoo, just the rides, and rides/zoo. We were there for the zoo, but we walked through the rides area when we were done, and good lord, those were the most terrifying rides I've ever seen. They were all kiddie sized, but every single one of them looked ready to fall into pieces.

I just don't see the attraction of rides at a zoo, especially ones that look like they could crumble in a soft breeze.
                It makes sense.

Comment

My zoo does camel rides and a pet-the-sea-animal tank! I got to pet a baby nurse shark, and she decided she would only let me pet her for a while (I'm guessing I was tasty). :P The biggest downside to my zoo besides the prices are the lack of adequate bathrooms. It's been years since I've gone, hopefully they got enough money to remodel and replace the cougar (RIP sasha, you were awesome).
                  A few years ago they sold paintings that were made by the animals, like the apes and the elephant. They were pretty cool, but super expensive.
                  Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                  http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    In one instance, a vehicle was spotted with a Holstein (http://wwwid.tripod.com/elmartinfarm/id24.html)strapped to it!
                    That's a special level of stupid right there.

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    My kids actually know the difference between monkeys and apes.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--szrOHtR6U
                    My oldest (age 4) has actually corrected people before. She'll show them her orangutan plush, and when they say, "Oh, cute monkey!" she deadpans, "It's an ape." Quite funny, actually.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                      Teach me, o Wondrous Three Year Old.
                      I can see it now, a tiny table with the three year old and our beloved pony boy sitting at it. A tea set, bacon, and molasses cookies are set out while RWH is looking very intense as he learns ASL.
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        My oldest (age 4) has actually corrected people before. She'll show them her orangutan plush, and when they say, "Oh, cute monkey!" she deadpans, "It's an ape." Quite funny, actually.
                        Going to be a Librarian, is she?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Only if I can convince her. She actually told her preschool teacher that she was going to be "a mommy and a business woman" (her exact words).
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Yay another Terry Pratchett fan. I was imaging The Librarian when I read that too.
                            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                              Only if I can convince her. She actually told her preschool teacher that she was going to be "a mommy and a business woman" (her exact words).
                              Your daughter rocks, & so do you for raising her to be like that
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                                Your daughter rocks, & so do you for raising her to be like that
                                Well thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X