This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening the door for crazy old biddy

Like most of my stories, this one comes from a long time ago, this one being around 1999, and was actually something that happened to my mother. The setting is a party supply store in a large outdoor shopping plaza in suburban Providence.

My mother had just bought her supplies and was on her way out. Ahead of her was this little tiny frail old woman who was struggling to open the door. It was apparent she tugged and pulled with all her might but just was too weak. My mother came up to her from behind and reached her arm above the tiny lady for the door, pulled it open, and let her outside to freedom.

"Thank you," the woman said with venom in her tone.

"You're welcome," was my mother's response.

Then the woman turned around and yelled loud enough for the whole store to hear. "NO! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S SUPPOSED TO SAY THANK YOU!"

My mother just stood there, dumbstruck , as the other patrons and some of the cashiers looked at the scene. The woman just continued on her way into the parking lot. My mother simply looked for words to explain her side of the story, but after a few moments just left the store, speechless.

No good deed goes unpunished, as they say.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Uh, doesn't your mother know she is supposed to thank such important people when they grace her with their all important attention for two seconds?

Comment

Maybe the old woman thought the OP's mom worked for the store? Doesn't excuse it in the slightest, but possible.
      We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Comment

What a bitch! A while back I was taking some movies back to blockbuster and I reached the door at the same time as some lady with her kids, she held the door open with her finger just enough to let her kids through then let the door close. I caught it, smiled and said thank you, she looked right at me all pissy and told me "I didn't do it for you!" Nothing like trying to be nice to somebody.
        Last edited by Zellie Crescent; 08-19-2011, 07:19 PM. Reason: To fix spelling errors.
        ......../\
        ....../__\
        ..../\...../\
        ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
          What a bitch! A while back I was taking some movies back to blockbuster and I reached the door at the same time as some lady with het kids, she held the door open with her finger just enough to let het kids through then let the door close. I caught it, smiled and said thank you, she looked right at me all pissy and told me "I didn't do it for you!" Nothing like trying to be nice to somebody.
          Wow, what a nice thing to teach her kids. Don't be nice to anyone even if it's as simple as holding a door open for them.
          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
          Fiancee: What?!
          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Some people seem to have their brains in backwards.

The other day my sister had to wave at the bus driver to get his attention so he would wait for her, as she was running up to the stop. She got on, thanked him, and he snarked at her about it. Not about waiting....about her thanking him. It was weird.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Some people seem to have their brains in backwards.

The other day my sister had to wave at the bus driver to get his attention so he would wait for her, as she was running up to the stop. She got on, thanked him, and he snarked at her about it. Not about waiting....about her thanking him. It was weird.
              Bus drivers tend to be a snarky lot.

I was once running to catch a bus. He had just stopped, the last passenger was getting on, I was all of five feet from the door, running flat out.

He closed the door and drove off. I waved at him to stop, and he merely honked at me and kept going.

The kicker? He was running ten minutes early, and was all of five stops from the loop. Guess he really wanted that extra long smoke break.
              Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Working...
              X