Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching the Detectives (Very Long - sorry)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching the Detectives (Very Long - sorry)

As I have mentioned before I work as a tv news shooter so I readily admit my categories of 'client' and 'customer' don't exactly fit, but I figured I would toss in this story here to add to the general merriment. All apologies if I have chosen the wrong part of the board.

Back in May I had a ladder collapse under me and I shattered my left heel bone. I had surgery and was out of work six weeks. Since I have returned they have had me working in the building editing.

Mind you I appreciate the work, it needs to be done, but my usual thing is to work out in the public, running around, shooting news, so to be stuck inside for months has been a bit hard.

Recently, with the gracious assistance of my dad I was able to resurrect an 2004 Ford Explorer that had been my work truck until it blew the engine 2.5 years ago and I bought it from the company for $200 hoping to one day fix it. I have been without a vehicle since I returned to work (insert long story about divorce, lawyers & child support here) so to get wheels was a joy.

Once I got it running I found an old scanner, tossed my camera & gear in the back and I am ready to catch anything cool I find during my off time. It is important to realize that as a field guy I generally make a tidy overtime shooting random spot news I stumble on, something I haven't done since May. I am just coming off crutches, so my abilities are limited, but I can still hold a camera and zoom in.

Last Friday as I started to make my way to work my scanner locks in on some chatter about a guy on a roof of a Italian chain restaurant nearby. Now i don't know why they are all worked up but this is the area that endured snipers, terrorism and all that, so I get interested quick. I call it into the station and start that way to see what we have.

Once I get close I stop behind another store (the area is a vast shopping district in Virginia - something like a two mile long shopping center) and prep my gear, moving my camera into the back seat so it is easier to get to. Then I get back into my truck, drive casually through the parking lot once to get my bearings, then exit the area and drive two blocks away to wait. When I park at that scene I see I can view the man on the roof and his ladder to I get my camera on my shoulder (while still in my tinted out truck) and fire off a few shots without being seen.

Then the call goes for the takedown. I go ahead and make my way over and arrive a good minute after the arrest. I hop out and get my video of the suspect in cuffs, and other activity. All is good.

Where is the suck you ask? Well the detectives came at me like I just wizzed in their Wheaties. Who are you? ID? How did you hear about this? You are interfering with an investigation! Who is your supervisor? We're going to call and complain!

Honestly I was shocked by the reaction. Of course I gave them my supervisor's info, because I have been doing this 22 years and I had no doubt I played it well.

In the end I think it was all a result of the fact I live really far away from DC and nobody here is used to aggressive newsgatherers. They said my truck looked too much like a cop car and that any accomplices would have been spooked when I drove by. Argh.

Still don't know what it was about, I heard it was part of a larger story that will probably get a press release today. I'm on vacation and the station has my raw tape, hope it's a good story! Anyway, that's my tale.
    "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

I think you stumbled into a touchy issue with the police - whether or not people are allowed to record them while they're doing their jobs. This seems to vary by state and isn't generally well known, so if you weren't readily identifiable as part of a news organization, they're likely to get unhappy with you.

Comment

So, wait: you were in YourTown, rather than YourCity (which is where you typically work)? And YourTown is smaller, and not used to folks with cameras such as yourself? Yeah... they were probably startled and unsure of what to expect, thus, the bitchy.
      But sweet getting the footage! Larger story... cool...
      Hope your foot continues to heal (heh) well!
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

...but you can bet your ass these "fine policemen" would be all over the "Cops" TV guys like a bad smell over rotting fish.

Comment

I sympathize greatly with your injury. About 10 years ago (my last emergency surgery was on 9/11/2001 at 9am *shudder*) I shattered both my heels and my left arm in a fall. I was in the Hospital for 3 weeks and in a wheelchair for 4 months. I also had a maintenance surgery about 5 years ago.

Also, why does everyone apologize about long stories? THEY ARE MY LIFEBLOOD!
          There Can Be Only One

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
            Last Friday as I started to make my way to work my scanner locks in on some chatter about a guy on a roof of a Italian chain restaurant nearby.
            Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
            Well the detectives came at me like I just wizzed in their Wheaties. Who are you? ID? How did you hear about this? You are interfering with an investigation! Who is your supervisor? We're going to call and complain!
            Dear small town cops:

The bad guys have police scanners too. Especially the ones who are planning really bad stuff. You can even get free apps on that for your phone. Might want to brush up on radio protocols if you are in an area (read, most of the USA) with police radios on public frequencies.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
              Dear small town cops: ... Might want to brush up on radio protocols ...
              But that would cut into their time for evaluating different brands of plaster-of-paris dog-sniffing print kits!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
                Well the detectives came at me like I just wizzed in their Wheaties. Who are you? ID? How did you hear about this? You are interfering with an investigation!
                The cops have been getting a little spooked about the quick-draw-camera-people here lately. Something went down but I was underground at the time and didn't catch what it was (probably a YouTube thing).

Sorry about your heel, hope it feels better.
                Congrats on fixing the truck (Ford ain't my favourite, will never own another Ford again, but some people swear by them so I figure more for them).
                We love long posts. <3 Keeeeeep 'em coming!

*Offers a bacon-cookie because Gig's heel is all owchie*
                Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 08-23-2011, 05:07 AM. Reason: my brain is faster than my typing
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

there are aq couple of threads about video taping the cops by "citizens" over on the Fratching site in the Social Woes section. laws vary by state and city as to the "legality" of said activity. it also depends on the "mood" the the law enforcement officer as to if they will get "nasty" and try and arrest you or at the very least try and confiscate your equipment under the premise of "interfering with a police officer"
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                  X