This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane idiots

So unless you've been living under a rock, you know that Irene has pretty much taken over the east coast; my mom in VA has no power, but is doing fine, so I'm checking out her power co's website, and relaying info to her.

I happened upon their FB page, and FFS, the idiocy! First of all, they've said, CALL to report outages, DO NOT post on FB. Then, the whining, bitching and moaning, and questioning as to WHEN their power will be restored. Last time I checked, Irene was still whipping her way through NC and VA so you really expect the workers to GET UP on the lines and restore your damn power? And even if they did, who says it would STAY on????? Thankfully, many sane customers have pointed out to the idiots that it just won't be possible.

Who really thinks that someone is actually going to work on powerlines during a hurricane? That's done AFTER it passes.

Comment

Thankfully, like the others, this may be the only time you'd be allowed to publicly call the customers out on being an idiot on the company's facebook page.

Comment

Ahhh, public forums. Much like the grocery store lines, sometimes, just sometimes, the idiocy is slammed. :}
        >_> stay safe, hurricane-zone folks.
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I thought I had seen all the idiocy that PA has to offer when snow is forecast, but I was wrong. I have seen near fist fights over water and prices. There really are people who think they should get their stuff either at a discount or free because of Irene.
          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Yes - even emergency crews (including emergency power and gas workers) stay under cover during the immediate crisis. They go out after the worst of the danger has passed.

And even then, a power/gas worker's priority is downed power lines or active gas leaks. A power line that's sparking or that might electrocute someone is far, far more important than getting power to a residential/industrial/commercial area.
            (A hospital, on the other hand...)

It's really sad that people don't know that, or don't think of that.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
              I have seen near fist fights over water and prices.
              Sitting here right now with my 22-month-old daughter on my lap listening to the pounding rain (which I assume is what woke her up at 1 in the morning), and wondering.

Why in the hell do people buy multiple gallons of water before a damn hurricane? If anything, there's too much water around. Stick your arm out the window with a pot, and you'll get all the water you need in about three and a half seconds...

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                Stick your arm out the window with a pot, and you'll get all the water you need in about three and a half seconds...
                Mostly because rainwater, by definition, contains salt, dust, and other aerial contaminants, and would need to be boiled before drinking it; if you don't have power to run a stove... Bottled water does not have this issue.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                  I thought I had seen all the idiocy that PA has to offer when snow is forecast, but I was wrong. I have seen near fist fights over water and prices. There really are people who think they should get their stuff either at a discount or free because of Irene.
                  They're lucky it's not marked way the heck up. Supply and Demand, you know.

We've got it too easy in this country.

It reminds me of something that happened before a snowstorm years ago.

I went across the street to the grocery store to buy bread (we were out). There was a winter storm warning in effect, but in our area the snow sticks around for a day or two at most, so I didn't pay it any mind.

I get to the bread rack, and this woman is putting the last loaf of bread in her cart.

Me: Ma'am, would you mind sharing one loaf. My husband and I are out.
                  Woman: No! I can't. There's a snowstorm coming and I have a family to feed!

Me: *thinking, we're only supposed to get a few inches, just how big is her family anyway?* Ma'am, even if the roads get slick, we'll only be snowed in for a day or so. My husband and I have no bread at all. You've got a cart full. Please, can't you just spare me one? Just how much bread do you have in there, anyway?

Woman: 17. And I SAID NO! I have a family to feed!
                  Me: *getting annoyed at this bitch, who admittedly doesn't have to give me shit* Ma'am you can't eat that much bread before it goes bad, even if you freeze some of it.

Woman: I have a family to feed!

She kept repeating that, like somehow it justified her obvious overreaction to the weather. I threw my hands in the air and gave up.

You can't fix stupid.
                  Last edited by Sapphire Silk; 08-28-2011, 02:44 PM.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working at a grocery store in the midwest during snow season, I see some very "interesting" behavior. Btw, thanks for sharing this, I'm going to go and let it rip on some idiots on these FB walls...should be a good stress release.

Comment

I've never understood that buying frenzy for milk and bread before a storm. If your power goes out, you can't keep the milk from spoiling; and I don't know about anyone else, but I sure don't want to eat nothing but bread until they get my power back on.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X