Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you just want us out of the store or what?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you just want us out of the store or what?

Bad customer service is on the rise, and I really don't know why O.o

I was saying in my previous topic about the douchebag couriers, bad customer service and hunting for new glasses, I've not really had any bad customer service up until now, but over the last few months, I've noticed a lot of instances of CS suckiness. As someone who works in retail myself, I'm generally quite forgiving, don't have ridiculously high standards and certainly try my best not to act like a sucky customer, so I don't know why this is on the rise. But it seems to be.

The subject of this topic is our local Tesco. My mum generally prefers our local Asda (part of the Walmart group, for you Americans), but as prices rise, although Asda remains cheaper most of the time, its worth to check out competitors. While Tesco is generally the more expensive, they do some good deals, some of their products are cheaper, and of course, it sometimes pays to have a Clubcard (like we do- and being as I just spent a lot of money in their opticians recently, I'm sure I've racked up a good amount of points recently).

(I want to reiterate that the service I've recieved in the opticians has been pretty good; we're talking about the checkouts).

You don't tend to get baggers in the UK. You do it yourself with a little help from the cashier. My mum has been complaining about the poor service for a while, but the other day she told me how several times recently, she's done a full weekly shop...and the cashier has sped everything through as though he/she has somewhere to be, and never helps with the bagging. Now, when you consider that the customer is trying to pack things so the heavy stuff is at the bottom, light, fragile items on top etc and trying to fit as much into a bag without it bursting, having a rapid torrent of items being shoved at you continuously is very unhelpful. And not going to make you pack faster.

But a lot of them seem to be doing it. A lot of them are youngsters, possibly not long out of college or school, but even the adults are doing it.

Mum deliberately packed at the slowest rate she could manage last week, just to annoy the cashier

I myself, have recieved somewhat lackidaisical assistance myself. I recently bought Sucker Punch on DVD there because it was only £9.99 and I LOVE that movie. When swishing it lazily through a device to remove a non-existant security thingy, the cashier actually RIPPED the plastic on the case that keeps the sleeve in place. I know its a bit picky, but she essentially damaged the casing, and in my crazy eyes, the product. I am going to rectify this by swapping it with a case of a DVD I don't like but I couldn't help but think that it was very careless!

And today, I was also met with "shoving your items at you as fast as you can with no consideration for how fast you can physically pack". I did as my mum did, and the cashier just stared at me awkwardly, as though wondering why my stuff hadn't magically walked into my shopping bag without my touching it.

I just think this is plain rude. I know conveyor belts ARE in use, but customers don't want to be treated as though they are ON them!

Also, I NEVER try to rush a customer out of my queue if they are still packing and putting their purse away. I would feel much better if the old lady at my till takes an extra moment or two to make sure her things are packed away neatly and her purse is secure and safe in her handbag BEFORE she left my shop.

Part of it is they are being forced to have a ring tender of a certain amount to keep their job. (at least here in the states). So they are supposed to ring things through extremely fast.

Comment

Little Rabbit, I don't know what part of the UK you are from, but I usually use Tesco and at the one I go to, I'm always asked if I want any help in packing (if I'm still unloading the cart at the time, I say yes then take over when everything's on the belt). The cashiers can vary a bit in cheerfulness, but they all ask if I want them to start packing, and I'm not a little old lady (not yet)
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Some places do have a ring timer set so that the cashiers HAVE to be on or near that set time, so that they don't get in trouble with the bosses. 'Cause if the bosses have to explain to THEIR bosses why Cashier X doesn't have a low ring time over Cashier W, then the bosses have to come down on someone.

I don't like ring times myself, but I AM fast on the checkouts for other reasons.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          Part of it is they are being forced to have a ring tender of a certain amount to keep their job. (at least here in the states). So they are supposed to ring things through extremely fast.
          It also depends on the place.

Places like ALDI, you bag everything yourself, so the scan rate is ridiculously fast.

My company is set at 16IPM, although my average is around 14-15.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post

Places like ALDI, you bag everything yourself, so the scan rate is ridiculously fast.

16 items per minute? Wow. They treat you guys nice. When I worked as a cashier it was 30 IPM here in the states. Any lower than that in a month was a write up. Three write ups in a year and you're fired.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post

Here at least, at my local Aldi, there are no scanners, the people on the tills type in the codes for the items all by hand, at least, they did last time i went and boy, are they fast.
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
                Little Rabbit, I don't know what part of the UK you are from, but I usually use Tesco and at the one I go to, I'm always asked if I want any help in packing (if I'm still unloading the cart at the time, I say yes then take over when everything's on the belt). The cashiers can vary a bit in cheerfulness, but they all ask if I want them to start packing, and I'm not a little old lady (not yet)
                Well, funny you say that, Marmalady, I had to pop into the Tesco Metro in the precinct where I work (not the big one that was the subject of my bitching) today. I bought some milk, a pack of wipes and a Fudge bar. It was reasonably busy, not mad, but good and steady, and the cashier packed my bag for me and popped the reciept in. I didn't ask him to pack and being as I had so little, intended to do so myself, but he just seemed to feel that it was polite to do so, so I thanked him Funnily enough, this little Tesco Metro has pretty good service, as I think many of the shops in this precinct do. Its actually well known for being in an "impoverished" part of town, and was recently on the BBC news for having 37% of its units vacant, although new stores have just opened; but everyone knows each other here, and its got a sort of community spirit.

I'm thinking perhaps that at this big Tesco branch on the other side of town, perhaps the training has been a bit...lax <.< What you described is what I normally experience in the local Asda.

Its strange how in chain stores, the service can vary between one branch and another, but I guess its down to different management.

Comment

At least where I am in the states, baggers are similarly being more and more sparse. I'll see them at peak times, but even then it's often just for one lucky checkout line. The whole bagger position seems to be on its way out, although it's been this way for a long time.

Sometimes I don't mind, but only when I'm in the express checkout where I have only a handful of items. It's frustrating when the cashier, as you say, is scanning at a rapid rate, and isn't even keeping in mind the order products should be scanned in in order to efficiently bag them so heavier items are on the bottom.

That being said, my girlfriend has a system in place where she simply pre-organizes the products on the belt before they're even scanned. Some cashiers even express their appreciation for that kind of thoughtfulness, and it definitely helps the whole flow of bagging on the other end.

I do wish supermarkets get more baggers, though. If anything, it helps increase high-school jobs although I understand it increases the operating costs at the supermarket.
                  Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                  Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                  Fiancee: What?!
                  Me: Nevermind.

Comment

A note on scanning order: For the most part, the checker will scan things in the general order they're placed on the belt.

If you want certain things scanned first, then it's in everybody's best interests to put those things out before the stuff you want bagged last. I've been doing it that way for the last four years, at least.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      A note on scanning order: For the most part, the checker will scan things in the general order they're placed on the belt.

If you want certain things scanned first, then it's in everybody's best interests to put those things out before the stuff you want bagged last. I've been doing it that way for the last four years, at least.
                      I'll second this. This is my method as well, mostly to make it easier on the casheirs since I shop at stores that make the cashiers do the bagging, but also because I don't like it when cashiers shove random whatever together in the same bag without realizing that yes, those cans of beans are going to damage the eggs, alright? I do still have to let more than half the cashiers know that it's okay to put my bread or potato chips on top of the eggs, but at least with the order I put everything on the belt, my cans and big drink jugs aren't anywhere near the fragile stuff.

I know when I was cashiering (and had to do the bagging), I'd be eyeing the product on the belt to see what else should go in the same bag as I rang up whatever I'd just grabbed, and I usually had pretty pleasant customers who were grateful for me taking the time to make sure stuff wasn't going to be ruined. It still would've helped more if more customers would just put things on the belt in the order they want them bagged rather than upending their shopping basket or throwing the contents of their cart on the belt haphazardly, and then wondering why all their fragile stuff got bagged first. (um, because that's all I could reach? You kept the heavy items for last!)
                      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

While the above annoys me, I still always cherry-pick what I'm ringing. Large items will get rung and bagged first, usually. If I choose to ring smaller items first, I set them aside to bag later. But then, I'm very good at what I do. If I can see everything in your cart, I almost always will have a bagging plan before I start. I think I should go to the UK and get a cashier job. I'd be considered polite 'cause I'd just bag evryone's stuff and still ring 30 IPM.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ok..I was considered one of the fastest cashiers when I was working at Wally World..in fact a 5 star cashier award required less IPH then I had..and I was around 650 (ish) IPH..now as it is 60 min per hour..and I was able to bag etc while doing it. (No such thing as somebody to bag, at least not on third shift). So 30ipm is wow.

The fastest I ever remember hearing about was 727iph..and people were in amazement at the person who did that. My mind, she is blown.

Edit : It was a long time ago, so I guess I may not remember correctly. All I know is that I was constantly asked how I was so fast...*shrugs*
                          Last edited by Mytical; 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                            Here at least, at my local Aldi, there are no scanners, the people on the tills type in the codes for the items all by hand, at least, they did last time i went and boy, are they fast.
                            From Wiki, I believe ALDI didn't introduce scanners until recently, but I guess in some parts they still don't do that. We don't have an ALDI in our state, but I believe that there are two subgroups of ALDI stores: ALDI Nord and ALDI Sud.
                            ALDI Nord would type in the three digit code, while ALDI Sud typed in the actual PRICE. In some cases, they still do it for vegetables.

Apparaently ALDI Nord trade as Trader Joes in the US, but then again, its Wiki, I don't know how reliable that is.

They don't pack bags either IIRC, its up to the customer. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                            QFT.

That's why I nearly always set up the reusable bags so that the freezer bags are first. Why? Because most of the time, that is what people will put down first. It allows me to work a lot faster.

Also 16 IPM is simply based upon the fact that we scan AND bag, its not just that we scan and pass to someone else.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Stepping in as a Tesco worker here, recently there has been an timer introduced to some stores. Telling us to scan/put the payment through faster or slower.

Decent cashiers will ignore it and go as fast or slow as the customers need (I include myself in this group) but some panic and throw the shopping through. So, sorry about that. It should stop when everyone calms down in a few weeks.
                              "Honestly officer, he asked for a shot and I gave him one. Why do you need the handcuffs?" - MannersMakethMan

Comment

Working...
                              X