This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You were disappointed by WHAT?!

Alright... Not a customer sighting, but this really made my hair stand on end.

I wish I could find a clip or article to go along with this, but a coworker was talking about a radio show she listens to in the morning. The host had a caller who declared they were disappointed by the storms the hurricane brought to our area.

Now, here in southern Maine, and I'll assume Maine in general, we weren't hit badly. Some power was lost, but there was no real flooding that I could see come yesterday morning, no trees in the road blocking my way to work, and really nothing more than just a bunch of leaves that were blown off the trees.

We were lucky.

I just can't for the life of me fathom why someone would say they're disappointed that a storm wasn't worse. Really, who says something like that when people have died, lost their homes, or now have to walk behind the hurricane and pick up whatever it decided to leave them?! Where would they get the idea that this is an okay thing to say?
    I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

I was hearing that here in CT on FB. A few people tore into those people for saying that. They should be happy they were so lucky and it wasn't bad for them. Anyone who complains should have to house someone who lost power, or lost their home or had their home damaged.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I am speechless. What planet do these people live on?

Ok, I do get that you can prepare for days for a major hurricane, get totally braced for it to hit, are waiting and ready - then it it veers off last minute leaving only a mild rainstorm, you may have a moment of adjustment where your inner self (the one with no filter or sense of reality) says "Is that all there is??". But in most of us that tiny voice is quashed within nano-seconds by the feeling of relief and realization of how lucky we are.

But to actually voice (on the radio, no less) your dissapointment that a major storm wasn't even worse than it was???? A storm that caused deaths, injuries and tons of property damages? Someone needs Karma to whack them upside the head - that's the person you want to see in the news as "the only house owner with any substantial damage in the latest weather", lol.

And speaking of which, we had a hurricane when I lived in the southeast, and there was actually only one house in town with any real damage - had a tree go literally into the bedroom. The owner of the house was my (two or three levels up) boss. He was a fairly good boss, though, so it didn't create the feeling of karmic satisfaction it might have, lol.
      Last edited by Merriweather; 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM. Reason: lack of coffee before posting

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I heard about that caller but I tuned in after they were on. Wish I had caught it.

Comment

Many years ago (in the 70s?) a hurricane was headed up the Gulf of Mexico towards Panama City, Florida. The US Weather Bureau made dire predictions about the potential damage, and many tourists stayed away. When it arrived, the hurricane had calmed a lot and caused very little damage. The local beach front motel owners were very upset with the US Weather Bureau's dire predictions which caused them to lose tourists dollars to the point they wanted to sue the govenment for their loss. However, Karma was listening. A year or two later a hurricane came through the area that destroyed many of the beach front motels. Moral: Don't complain about good luck.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

One of my friends was complaining on Facebook that she didn't feel the earthquake and that she really wanted to feel and live through an earthquake. Then another friend of hers complained because she's never experienced a natural disaster and she wants to live through one.

Comment

Idiots. They complain if they don't get a warning; complain when they DO get one; then complain that it wasn't as big as it was "hyped" to be. No doubt, if the damage had been even worse, they would have complained about that, too.

Some people just live to bitch.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth boringscreenname View Post
                One of my friends was complaining on Facebook that she didn't feel the earthquake and that she really wanted to feel and live through an earthquake. Then another friend of hers complained because she's never experienced a natural disaster and she wants to live through one.
                Tell the second one to come to Australia, live in a woodland area, and ignore the Country Fire Association's advice on how to choose and prepare their house.

Oh, hang on. She said 'live through one'. Never mind, then.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Some people will complain if they are hanged with a new rope.

Comment

I sincerely doubt the guy honestly wanted the storm to be worse, for everyone, he just wanted to see a tree come down or something, and forgot to, y'know, think before he opened his mouth.

Someone on here, I can't remember who, has the sig "If I removed anyone who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn't even be able to masturbate." If feel like that applies here, guy just didn't think through the full ramifications of what he was saying.
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I'd really have to hear the context in which the caller used the term "disappointed" to really be able to judge it. I doubt anybody legitimately wanted the storm to be worse. It sounds more like hyperbole than anything else.

The storm was originally supposed to blanket Orlando on Friday before moving up the coast. Orlando rarely gets badly damaged by hurricanes as we were enough inland that by the time the storm actually touches Orlando it has lost a lot of force. I was actually looking forward to the 3 day weekend. When the manager of my office said the storm was changing course and going up the coast and we'd be open last Friday I said "CRAP!" in the meeting. Of course I wasn't actually hoping for a massive storm to destroy my city and put people out of a home, or worse, life. I just wanted an extra day off of work.

Comment

I love my brother to bits, but he is kinda like this about storms too. When we were growing up in New Jersey, the threat of a hurricane tended to be kind of exciting...we knew it probably wouldn't be bad, and in 1979, Hurricane David actually postponed the start of our school year for a couple of days.

Since growing up, though, he has moved to Washington State, west of the Cascades so mostly he just gets 8-9 months a year of gray skies and misty rain...not much in the way of thunderstorms, even. So he often says he misses them. I, however, am in Florida, along the coast, and I've been really leery of hurricanes since Hurricane Andrew threatened us in 1992 - I'd only been here about 2 years and right until the day before it hit, we didn't know if it would come farther up the coast or stay in the Miami area. Then we got an almost direct hit by a Category 1 hurricane in 1995 (Erin) which caused some wind damage and some local flooding. Still not too bad. Hurricane Floyd in 1999 scared us badly enough to evacuate our brand new home for a couple of days...once again, we dodged a bullet. Finally came the summer of 2004 and all the hurricanes that hit Florida. It was a bad time in our lives personally, and then we had to worry about storm after storm. Frances and Jeanne did a LOT of damage to our local beachfront; some establishments never reopened or took years to get back on the ground. The next year we watched storms like Katrina, Rita and Wilma very nervously but fortunately they missed us (of course, I feel terrible for the people that they affected). Just waiting for the next one to come along. We even had a really bad Tropical Storm (Fay) in 2008 that dumped tons of rain on us, flooding some local homes.

We get severe thunderstorms all summer long, and they can be dangerous too...I don't mind them too much but I hate it if I have to go out in them. Yeah, storms can be exciting, but I think I'd rather watch them on TV, and not worry about anyone getting hurt.
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X