This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Administrator.

Okay, perhaps not sucky, but clearly clueless, disinterested, and/or trapped in a corporate culture of going over the top to please their customers, even if they don't actually do what was requested.

A beer festival is coming up this weekend, and part of that beer festival are a couple of beer dinners. One is for Thursday night, which I probably couldn't make because of work, and which is sold out. The other one is Sunday night.

So I sent three questions to the festival's email address. My email read as follows:

I have a couple of questions about the Brewfest.

1. Are tickets only available at the [Sponsoring Hotel]? And if so, what hours are they available for purchase?

2. Will there be beer accompaniment with the Sunday beer dinner?

3. How much is the Sunday beer dinner?

Thank you for your time.

Jester
    In short order, I got back the following reply:

Good afternoon Jester,
    I have attached the schedule of events for Key West Brewfest 2011.

Tickets are available for the tasting on Saturday, September 3rd and the Samuel Adams Beer Dinner on Sunday, September 4th and can be pre-purchased through me or can be purchased at the door. Keep in mind these events did sell out last year. The tasting tickets are $25 per person in advance and $30 per person at the door, and the dinner cost is $100.00 per person.

Tickets for the Brewfest signature tasting event on Saturday, September 3rd are inclusive of your tasting glass and samplings of over 140 micro-brew and craft beers from various national and international beers.

As for the additional events, like the Local Irish Pub Beer Dinner, the best option is to contact the establishment directly for information on ticket purchase for their event.

Thank you for your interest in Brewfest!

Flunky O'Connor

Executive Administrative Assistant & Sales Assistant
    Corporate Hotel Collection
    Sponsoring Hotel on the Strip
    Sponsor at the Beach
    Other Hotel and Some Guest House
    Sponsoring Café
    1234 Main Street
    Key West, FL 33040
    305.555.1234 ext. 6969 (ph)
    305.555.4321 (fax)

Okay, I had three measly questions. To answer those questions, this woman provided tons of addresses and phone numbers and business names I didn't need or want...but I suppose that is part of her email signature, so I'll excuse that as her having no choice.

Fine.

But let's look at what she wrote.

First, did she answer me 3 questions?

Question 1, she answered vaguely. She said that tix were available through her and at the event, but did not say if those were the only options.

Question 2, she did not answer at all. Amusingly, this was the question I was most curious about. Not once did she say whether there would be a beer accompaniment with each course of the beer dinner, or if beer would be more, or even that she did not know. She just did not address that question at all.

Question 3, she actually did answer.

She also answered questions I did not ask.

She provided the schedule to the festival. Which I clearly knew, as I was asking specific questions about specific events.

She told me all about the tasting event, which I did not ask her about, other than to ask her where I could buy tickets.

She also told me about another event I did not even ask about, that being the other beer dinner. Which, if you're paying more attention than she apparently is, you would know is something I probably can't make because of a conflict with my work schedule, and which is sold out. I know this because it said so right on the festival's own web page, which is where I got this woman's number in the first place.

Please, for the love of all things holy (especially beer), if someone asks you three simple, direct, specific questions, just answer those questions. I would much prefer a blunt and abrupt email answering my questions than a lovely, friendly, rah rah one promoting their event that, in the end, doesn't even answer my questions.

In case you're wondering, I still have no idea if the Sunday beer dinner will have a beer accompaniment. I guess I'm supposed to read minds or something.

(On the plus side, I purchased tickets for the tasting for myself and three friends today, so not only do I have tix, I know I'll be there with friends. Yay!)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

What you got, my friend, was the standard form email that is likely the first thing that goes out to anyone who sends in questions. And for about 98% of people, it probably covers everything they want.

I would suggest sending a follow-up and let her know that the information she provided wasn't entirely helpful and rephrase your remaining questions. Things that have already gone through the wringer once usually get more detailed scrutiny.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Jester, please don't take this the wrong way, but....it's described as a beer dinner. Surely that means there must be beer accompaniment? Or am I completely misinterpreting the meaning of "beer dinner" at a Brewfest?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Interesting. My interpretation of "beer accompaniment" is that beer will be available during the meal. By your follow-up comments, it seems you meant whether cost of beer was included in the meal price or if it was extra.

So while I agree she completely avoided the 2nd question, I also misunderstood what you were asking. *shrugs*
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I am guessing that the "beer dinner" consists of meals/dishes cooked/served/prepared involving beer. Jester's "beer accompaniment" probably refers to, "will there be a glass of beer next to my plate, and if so, will it cost extra?"
          If I'm correct, this question was totally not answered...
          "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Beer: It's not just for breakfast any more.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The director of the program I'm majoring in does this. I'll email her a very specific question, and 4/5 times she replies with the PDF stating the coursework requirements for the program. I'm IN the program! I've taken half the classes already! That's not my question!

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                I would suggest sending a follow-up and let her know that the information she provided wasn't entirely helpful and rephrase your remaining questions.
                Here's the followup:

Yesterday I tried calling her. About three times. Got her voicemail every time. Called the hotel directly, got the information about the tickets, went down there, purchased them for myself and three friends, and left.

I will not be pursuing further information about the beer dinner as I will not be attending, as it is $100, and I have decided that that money could be better spent on my upcoming vacation, and that I have far more pragmantic things I need to take care of on Sunday, especially considering the boozing I WILL be doing on Saturday.

So I see no need to send any followup questions to that woman.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Jester, please don't take this the wrong way, but....it's described as a beer dinner. Surely that means there must be beer accompaniment? Or am I completely misinterpreting the meaning of "beer dinner" at a Brewfest?
                Beer dinner can mean many things.

It can, for example, feature food cooked with beer.

It can feature food accompanied by beer that has been paired with that food for that course.

Or it can be both.

I KNOW that the Sunday dinner is at the very least the first, as I have read the menu. The reason I questioned whether or no there would be beer accompaniment, i.e., a different beer paired with and served with each course, is because no beers are listed as being paired with each course on the menu, and also because last year's beer dinner (there was only one last year that I'm aware of) and the Thursday night beer dinner this year both had beers pairings listed for each course.

Does that make more sense?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Here's the followup:

Yesterday I tried calling her. About three times. Got her voicemail every time. Called the hotel directly, got the information about the tickets, went down there, purchased them for myself and three friends, and left.

I will not be pursuing further information about the beer dinner as I will not be attending, as it is $100, and I have decided that that money could be better spent on my upcoming vacation, and that I have far more pragmantic things I need to take care of on Sunday, especially considering the boozing I WILL be doing on Saturday.

So I see no need to send any followup questions to that woman.

Beer dinner can mean many things.

It can, for example, feature food cooked with beer.

It can feature food accompanied by beer that has been paired with that food for that course.

Or it can be both.

I KNOW that the Sunday dinner is at the very least the first, as I have read the menu. The reason I questioned whether or no there would be beer accompaniment, i.e., a different beer paired with and served with each course, is because no beers are listed as being paired with each course on the menu, and also because last year's beer dinner (there was only one last year that I'm aware of) and the Thursday night beer dinner this year both had beers pairings listed for each course.

Does that make more sense?
                  Yeah, it does. I've never attended one of these things so I have no idea what goes on or what the refreshment is like - *shrugs*

They had a brewfest here in early August but I didn't go. Not much of a beer drinker. I like wine much better.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                    The director of the program I'm majoring in does this. I'll email her a very specific question, and 4/5 times she replies with the PDF stating the coursework requirements for the program. I'm IN the program! I've taken half the classes already! That's not my question!
                    Ugh. I tend to get this when I try to use e-mail support for just about anything. I'll send an e-mail with my question/problem/concern, and 9 times out of 10 I'll get a canned response back that looked for maybe one or two keywords and then spat out a response based on those rather than reading the issue. Once I even got similar after sending the reworded follow-up with semi-accusatory "you didn't read my first e-mail." I'd understand if it was an auto-response system, except that both e-mails were signed with the same name, and a note to direct further questions to that person, so I assumed it was an actual tech answering my questions. If not, then companies need to stop having their auto-response system sign e-mails with a real name.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                    X