• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first week back to school

Freshman are so cute
    Yes, from the mouths of babes
    "It's so crowded here"
    welcome to college, hell, welcome to adulthood and living in a city rather than whatever small town you came from... btw, this is nothing compared to say The Strip or Times Square or The Embarcadaro.
    "why is traffic so bad here"
    See above
    "man, the bookstore is so expensive"
    and I thank you for being naive enough to shop there for all your books rather than just the ones you absolutely have to get there, you are subsidizing my education while I go to amazon and half.com to get books at lower cost with less stress.
    and, my personal favorite overheard line of the week
    "I'm so glad all the bullshit of high school is behind us"
    umm, hate to break it to you, but there will be bullshit your whole life, just instead of being fellow students and teachers it becomes coworkers and bosses. Really, college students, hate to break it to you high schoolers, are nothing but you a few years older and now paying bills.
    If you were the unpopular outcast who got pantsed a lot in highschool, don't expect a magic change in college, because guess who is sitting in the classroom next to you. Yes, you have a great opportunity to change, but you've had that all along.

they really need to improve admission standards
    Okay, the cafeteria's new employee and I are already off to a great start, and by great start, I mean I refuse to ever go through her line again, if I see she is the only one working I'll go downstairs to one of the independent vendors and pay more just to avoid her.
    So, I go in and order a country breakfast burrito, they are out of heated tortillas, so I put in a special order and wander off to wait for my name to be called when they have more heated up and have my order ready. The cook rings the bell to let her know that the tortilla is ready, she calls me up and asks "what is this for"
    ...umm, how did you get in the school without being able to read, the slip very plainly has my name and my order on it.
    Okay, well, she's knew, so I'm not too irritated yet, I tell her that I had special ordered it since they didn't have it ready to make when I showed up. Her response, oh well this gentleman here was here first (he had just walked up barely before the cook rang the bell for my order), so I've got to give this to him for his order, it will be a few minutes for yours.
    Um, how bout fuck you bitch. I've been waiting five minutes for the cook to get more tortillas ready out of the fridge, and now because you are too stupid to understand the simple concept of a special order, you expect me to wait another two or three minutes for the cook to toast up another tortilla.
    Then when she finally does make my order, she doesn't even bother rolling the burrito, she just threw stuff on top of the tortilla and handed it to me.
    Managers response to my complaint, "she's new, she'll learn"
    I'm sorry, but you can't fix stupid, and not understanding that someone who has been waiting for a special order was there before someone who had just walked up is, to be blunt, stupid.

die in a fire
    Our tech department needs to all die in a fire.
    We have had absolutely no problems with our blackboard system for several years now. People like blackboard, they are familiar with it, it works.
    The tech department decided, fuck y'alls, blackboard is old, we want to use something newer, we're going to introduce canvus without testing it... yeah, a week later and I still can't access all my classes because they have fucked up the migration from blackboard to canvus so bad.

UTA sightings
    Oh, you know I can't go without having UTA sightings.
    So, UTA recently opened up two new TRAX lines and purchased an assload (77 to be precise) Siemens S70 LRVs... twice now the system has shut down because of software problems in the new vehicles... I notice the local VW dealers aren't boasting about their German engineering anymore... I wonder why that may be...
    Oh, and still no one can comprehend the buttons that say "push here to open" even on the newer trains where the buttons and signs are much, much larger.

But the truly biggest sighting from the week, words don't do it justice.

The bus I transfer to stops just off frame to the left, so I always use the last car of the train so I can have an easier walk to the bus stop, rather than having to walk the length of the train... so imagine my surprise when the train came to a complete stop and doors activated when we were no where near the platform.
    Yeah, driver is moron.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Didn't you know that you're supposed to just do a rolling dive out of the train? DUH.

Oh, yes. The buying books madness. I rented mine from Chegg.com a lot, at least the ones that were actually cheaper. And last year [of course the year I graduated -sighs-], our college bookstore instituted book rental as well, which was a big help. Still always hated buying books. It's a MADHOUSE in that place the first week.

To be fair, college is different in a lot of ways than high school. Also, it's harder. I wonder how many of the those poor freshmen are going to end up flunking out because they don't realize you have to put in a modicum of effort now.

The cafeteria woman sounds like an idiot. She might get better, though. Maybe.

I remember when our university went from web CT to Moodle. To be fair, Moodle worked easier. But gawd did it suck when they were working out all the kinks.
    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

So did you let the cafeteria girl give away your food? You said she had to make yours, so that's what it sounds like...

I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation since I tend to hold in my rage, but if she was rude enough and I'd had a bad enough day, I'd probably flat out tell her she's acting like a moron.

Comment

Ah, yes, freshman year where you think you have to buy all the books and you buy them at bookstores.

Senior year - The year where you only buy a couple books and pay about 10-20% of what you would have at the book store.
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I was quite dismayed when I moved into my freshman college dorm and found out just how much like high school it was...minus the parents.
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
            "I'm so glad all the bullshit of high school is behind us"
            umm, hate to break it to you, but there will be bullshit your whole life, just instead of being fellow students and teachers it becomes coworkers and bosses.
            Granted that it's new and different bullshit, but it's still bullshit.

One of the best ones I heard was during my freshman orientation when we were going through the class catalog and figuring out our schedules. I overheard this, "When is lunch?"

Quoth Greenday View Post
            Ah, yes, freshman year where you think you have to buy all the books and you buy them at bookstores.

Senior year - The year where you only buy a couple books and pay about 10-20% of what you would have at the book store.
            See, I never had this option when I was at NMSU. The internet didn't even exist when I started. About a year before I graduated, an off campus bookstore opened and was running competition to the university bookstore, but they weren't much better on their prices.

Of course, I started college in 1987 and graduated in 1994 (An inter-college double major can be a little hairy to manage!).

Now when I went to CNM a couple of years ago to get my Pharmacy Tech certification, you better believe I went online!
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
            X