Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The pool is closed - so give me a free room!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pool is closed - so give me a free room!

I just recalled this from a vacation I took a year ago. I was on my way back from the Smoky Mountains and stopped off in Jacksonville, FL at the Rodeway Inn. The cost was pretty cheap, but you gets whats yous pays for, so don't pick a cheap hotel in the future.

In any case, when I got there, I saw a sign at the front desk that said "Pool will be closed from DATE to DATE". These dates were at least from the day before we arrived up until the next week, so at least one week. The lady at the desk explained to me it was due to problems they had and it needed major refurbishing. It was no problem to us since I was visiting the rents, and they have a pool.

The next morning, I was getting ready to check out when I encountered a scene at the front desk. This woman was there with her two kids, both wearing nothing but swim suits and each with a towel. The altercation went like this:

HC (hotel clerk): I'm sorry, maam, but the pool won't be open until next week.

SC: What do you mean? We came here last night and expected our kids to be able to swim after they ate their breakfast.

HC: I'm sorry, but that sign was here last night when you checked in. The pool is closed as it is unsafe for swimming. We have to have it refurbished.

SC: Well, that's horrible for my children. They were expecting to swim this morning, and now their day is ruined.

HC: I understand, but we can't let anyone into the pool.

SC: So, what kind of compensation do I get for this? I should have my stay refunded.

At this point, I had paid my bill and walked out, although I did want to stay and see whether or not the hotel actually caved to this lady. After all, I checked in on the same night as her and I saw the sign, plus the clerk explained to me upon checking in that the pool was out of service. It's possible her clerk didn't explain this, but that sign was hard to miss.

Maybe I should pull this ploy on my next hotel stay whenever my kids are unable to have the fun they expected to have, not to mention after the hotel ruins their day, as that lady stated?
    Last edited by greensinestro; 09-18-2011, 01:00 PM.

or suggest that she obviously saw the sign the night before
    and must have planned to use it as a means to get out of paying her bill

kinda like "man some people will come up with ANYTHING to avoid paying the bill!"

Comment

Sounds like a good lesson for the kids. "See, sometimes things don't work out the way you wanted. Sorry you can't swim today. Let's go do something else fun."

But I guess that would take too much imagination and initiative on mom's part.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have NEVER in my life asked for compensation for shit like that! So RUDE AND EWhorey! Boohoo, the pool is closed. The mom probably didn't wanna take the time to entertain and watch her own kids. Bah!

Comment

Customer reading a sign? No never!

Comment

My last night in Atlanta last month there were tornado warnings, so the hotel close the class enclosed pool.
            Sucks? Yes. Safer to NOT have your guests impaled by shards of glass in the case of high winds? HELL yes.
            So of course people were throwing a fit, to which I say"Meh."
            That is all

Comment

Re: title: The pool is closed - so give me a free room!

Oh oh, can she get the free room in the unsafe swimming pool? Hope her stuff is waterproof
              Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I know I booked our honeymoon at a specific hotel because it had a hot tub, and then I was pretty pissed when we got there and it was closed. But we got over it, had fun in the pool (which was open), and enjoyed ourselves nonetheless. No reason to get pissed at the employees who didn't cause the problem.

Comment

Working...
                X