This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new hobby is watching people failing to enter a building

A local restaurant I frequent has two doors. If you're facing the place from the outside, the door on the right is locked and there's a sign saying something to the effect of "please use other door" with an arrow pointing to the door to the left.

I think the hinges are broken or something. For whatever reason, the right-side door has been locked for a couple of months. But the sign is clearly there indicating people use the left side door.

But we all know what's coming next, right? SC's don't read.

So my new hobby is sitting at the counter and watching how many people try to unsuccessfully enter the building through the locked door.

I spotted 2 out of about 7 customers yesterday do it. (I weep for the future) The first one absent-mindedly tried the door and then came in through the correct one.

But the second was rather funny. The woman peered in through the glass in the door to see if they were open. She tried the door, finding it locked. She actually knocked on the door, looked through the glass again, tried to open the door, and finally used the door on the left.

Had I been in a snarky mood, I probably would have told her she didn't use the "secret knock" to get in.

Oh, wow. Mytical posted a story about that once, so I really weep for humanity.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

People do not read signs. People do not even SEE signs. I had a sign on my serving hatch on Tuesday, placed so that you had to bend and twist in order to see past it & try to engage me in conversation... Did that stop people? Did it prompt them to read what the sign said? (That I was unable to do anything but advise them I couldn't do anything for them due to computer failure.) Of course not! I had people lean to the side, per over the top, look underneath, and my personal favourite stand and look straight through it as if it wasn't even there!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I often pull on the door even though is says "Push"
        http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

I'm guilty of doing this. Usually I have an excuse that I'm tired or distracted for various reasons, but I know I've waltzed up to a door that prominately said 'Use other door' and proceeded to push on the 'Pull' handle, pause, then try again before realizing how dumb I was being.

Comment

Nothing wrong with pulling on a push door. Just one of those things. Now, if you keep it up for longer than, say, forty seconds...

Comment

Ok. I took this picture last week after eating at the Chipotles across the street from work. And yes I tried to open it before I saw the sign.
              Attached Files
              Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
              Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Ben..when I worked at my last job..people who worked at the place would constantly try to pull on a door that had 'push' in big letters. Now I can see doing it if you are new..and in a hurry. After working at the place for years, however, you should know the door will only open a certain way.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

http://biodude.wikispaces.com/file/v...for-gifted.jpg

Just sayin'....
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

I've been in lots of places with double doors that have one door locked, with NO signs. This bugs the hell out of me. Why on earth have one door locked and one unlocked? I wonder if that's considered a fire code violation, 'cuz it would make it harder to clear the place out quickly in the event of a fire. Even if it's not, it's annoying as hell. At least put a damn sign on it!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I ended up catching the train early due to delays one day and ended up wandering around the town looking for a full breakfast. Ended up being really confused about a door not opening and it wasn't until I walked away to the the other door and got inside that I could see the large sign on the door that said "use other door". I have no idea how I avoided seeing it...
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                          I have no idea how I avoided seeing it...
                          Tunnelvision. You saw enough that matched what you expected to see and stopped looking.

Everybody does it.

The difference is that a decent person will recognize what they did and know that it was them that were doing it, and an SC will refuse to admit that there is even a possibility that they did anything wrong, and whatever it was they didn't see actually wasn't there before and the evil workers put it there after the fact just to make them look bad.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            I've been in lots of places with double doors that have one door locked, with NO signs. This bugs the hell out of me. Why on earth have one door locked and one unlocked? I wonder if that's considered a fire code violation, 'cuz it would make it harder to clear the place out quickly in the event of a fire. Even if it's not, it's annoying as hell. At least put a damn sign on it!
                            In my experience, when entering the building the left had door is usually locked and the right hand door is open. If the locked door is not blocked and can be opened from the inside with out a key via a panic bar, it is most likely not a code issue.

Comment

Never mind doors, I once walked slap into a glass wall... Not sure how to describe this. The exit doors are set back several feet into the building from the front wall, creating a sort of foyer in the front, which has glass walls. Now when you come out of the cash register lines, you're facing the front wall of the store. You have to turn left, walk toward (but not into) the foyer, then turn left again (toward the back of the store), then make a U-turn to get through the doors. Quick and dirty ascii grafx:

________________________.___.__________________

Of course instead of doing this, I didn't realise, and walked smack into the side of the foyer. After readjusting my glasses, I went back and asked the cashier.

"How many customers walk into this wall on their way out?"

"About half of them, sir."

Next time I went there, someone had put a small rack with a stack of circulars against that glass wall. Someone else must have clobbered himself and complained about it...

Comment

Working...
                              X