This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least she carded me - self sighting

To start I'd like to note that I'm fast approaching a milestone birthday that has me a little freaked out. I always figured that by my 3rd decade I'd be further along in my career, though I also need to point out that I thought I was going to be working for NASA or Lockheed rather than costuming primadonnas.

Anyway, I submit myself for SC hell.

Anyway, a friend and I went to Robin of Crimson for dinner to catch up and talk about her wedding plans. We both ordered margaritas and I immediately reached for my wallet to fetch my ID while making a comment that I was going to show my ID whether the waitress asked or not as I was still young enough. The waitress laughed, said she was going to ask as I looked young, then she looked down at my ID and said very enthusiastically that I didn't look anything near 39 and a half!
    All I could think to do was stare stupidly at my friend. After the waitress left I told a few other similar stories about one of the apprentices I'd been dealing with for the last show making similar age-related gaffes.
    I ended up leaving a $2.46 tip to round my total up to $20. I know I'm in California right now, and that cosmetic surgery is rampant in some parts, but it's Santa Maria for crissakes! Bah! Yeah, she was trying to be complimentary, but I just felt worse.
    Last edited by FenigDurak; 09-21-2011, 07:51 AM.

Oh, hey, another member of the very nearly that age club.

I hit the same milestone on the 3rd.

However, in my case, it's just another birthday with a zero on the end, which is an excuse to have a party and troll for gifts.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm 42.

I never planned to be sitting around on a disability pension at 42.

Life doesn't do what we want.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm 37. Sometimes I feel 27. Sometimes I feel 47. Once you get past 30 you realize, "Meh, age is just a number." Taking care of yourself helps, though. Not plastic surgery.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

LOL. third decade means you are in your 20's. So she added 20 years to your age. Says a lot about her math skills doesn't it.

Comment

She added 10 years to my age, jumping me from 29 to 39. I know age should just be a number, and I'm certain I'll feel that way in relatively short order, but for the meantime, I'm going to go have a cupcake and a quiet little "woe is me" moment.

On the plus side, I'm frequently told I come across as 23 (I take that as a compliment rather than a commentary on my perceived maturity).

Comment

I still have people tell me I look 26. At least they're taking 10 years off my real age.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

She may have said 39 1/2 not because she misread your DOB on your ID, but because that is the legal threshold in your locality or the policy threshold at the Bloody Pigeon for "if they look that old you don't have to card." I know that's been the age-appearance threshold at many of the jobs I've had, so it may have been policy on her mind, not your actual age.

And of course you don't look anywhere near it, because you aren't anywhere near it.
                "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                My MySpace
                My LiveJournal

Comment

S'all right. I used to pass bouncers without getting Carded before I was the legal age. It may have been that I was accompanied, and I didn't drink anyway.

Then I turned 18 (the then legal age) and started getting carded in the same situation. Tis weird.

I think Superdan may have something, she may have been trying to make a joke, but didn't quite leave enough in it. *shrug*.

All that matters is how old YOU think you are I'm self admittedly a big kid. Jumping in puddles is still one of the most fun things ever.
                  "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                  Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

My friends took me out to lunch (Elephant Bar is awesome!) awhile back for my birthday, milestone + 2 years.

The waiter, who I'm sure was young enough to be my son, flirted with me the whole time! That makes you feel good.

Especially considering that I was still getting over the creeping crud I had. I was pale, my nose was red and peeling, and I sounded like a 10-pack-a-day smoker! Oh, and I had just gotten fired (whole 'nother rant) the day before.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

You people are all making me feel like a baby. I'm "only" 31.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm 43. I never planned on having any other career than stay-at-home mom. I didn't know when it my life that would happen so at this point I could either have little kids or grown kids...but I had never really thought beyond that. It's very depressing to be 43 and to have lost my only biological child, with both of my stepchildren grown.

On the other hand...I do try to see the silver lining to the age cloud. I am much more confident than I used to be, and of course I have over 4 decades of "knowledge" (such as it is ) under my belt. I also plan to start a new career path...the depression makes it difficult, but I will get there.
                        "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

My opinion has always been that growing older is better than the alternative.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            My opinion has always been that growing older is better than the alternative.

^-.-^
                            One time, an older fellow told me "Don't get old, it really sucks!"

I said, "yeah, but it sure beats the alternative."

Comment

Irv - I'm turning 25 later this year. If that helps make you feel old again
                              "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                              Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Working...
                              X