This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Guys, I Think It's Time...

Remember not so long ago when my PC was fixed by the incompetent nerdy tech who tried to run a diagnostics test on it and it was a hardware issue? This was after I was verbally abused and pushed around by techs for 3 years. Well he took all the stickers off the bottom of it so now my PC no longer has a service tag which makes my life a whole hell of a lot harder since now they have to look up my computer model and warranty by my name alone. Yay, wonderful, awesome.

No.

I opened it up this morning to find a blue screen and a message that just very briefly noted: "There is a hardware malfunction, please contact your hardware vendor."

So guys, I think it's time to executive carpet bomb Dell (I forget who among you made that suggestion but I'm about to do it...).

What should I demand? A new PC or an unlimited lifetime warranty for this one?

I think you should demand they stop selling you Dells.

Get a Toshiba.

Comment

Maybe build your own except if it is a laptop? I can't stand the big companies becasue they load on crap you don't need and sometimes you can't even upgrade them.

At least if you build your own you know what you put in to it.
      "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Quoth CaptainJaneway View Post
        Maybe build your own except if it is a laptop? I can't stand the big companies becasue they load on crap you don't need and sometimes you can't even upgrade them.

At least if you build your own you know what you put in to it.
        I agree, although when I bought my laptop, all I did was basically reformat the drive and reinstall Windows on it. That ensured I had a fresh start and if there was any program that I might have wanted, I could cherry pick it from the "system restore" disk that comes with it.
        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
        Fiancee: What?!
        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

It's amazing the sorts of things you learn about how computers work by doing at least the legwork on building your own.

As for the OP, I wouldn't make any demands in the initial letter. I would outline the problems that have happened, in excruciating detail, and then ask them what they want to do about it. If you're lucky, they'll give you more than you want to make you go away. If not, you can still demand that they actually restore you to whole.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            As for the OP, I wouldn't make any demands in the initial letter. I would outline the problems that have happened, in excruciating detail, and then ask them what they want to do about it. If you're lucky, they'll give you more than you want to make you go away. If not, you can still demand that they actually restore you to whole.

^-.-^
            I worked for a number of months sorting complaints. Try not to end up on the 'nutter' pile on someone's desk. We had some of the complaint letters copied (with identities removed) on our office walls.

Make it typed with name and contact details on top. Paragraphs are your friend, brief bullet points are your BFF. One I saw had the dates of problems/contact with company instead of a bullet point. You want to make it as easy to read as possible.

Don't address it to the CEO of the company, it will only make an underling laugh.

I am sometimes that underling. CEO had someone write to say they hated our corporate colours and they should be changed. So sorry that our colour scheme doesn't make you happy. Trying wearing them.
            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
              ...they hated our corporate colours and they should be changed. So sorry that our colour scheme doesn't make you happy. Trying wearing them.
              Cheryl Wheeler does a song about "Cow-Pattern Clothes"...

... cow-patterned jockstraps ...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                I worked for a number of months sorting complaints. Try not to end up on the 'nutter' pile on someone's desk. We had some of the complaint letters copied (with identities removed) on our office walls.

Make it typed with name and contact details on top. Paragraphs are your friend, brief bullet points are your BFF. One I saw had the dates of problems/contact with company instead of a bullet point. You want to make it as easy to read as possible.

Don't address it to the CEO of the company, it will only make an underling laugh.
                Well if and when I get to my complaint letter drafting I'll post it here so you guys can critique it. I usually write them out in "block" format like we learned in school for business letters and I try to make them as professional sounding as possible. Usually I write out a really nasty one with all the nutty things first just to get it out of my system. Then I write a "real" one. That was advice from my mom, she does the exact same thing.

Comment

Or, you could just buy a Mac
                  Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

A real PC would be best and most affordable. Stay away from Dell in general (though once decent quality, they've long since dropped to the bottom of the pile).

It's been a long time since I've heard someone say anything good about Dell. Kinda sad, really.

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                      It's been a long time since I've heard someone say anything good about Dell. Kinda sad, really.
                      They are the cheapest BRAND here...... (Still sucks btw)

Comment

Working...
                      X