This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No! Don't do it! NOOOooooo....

Visited Disney on Thursday with my sister. We had a good time, but I was exhausted since I was running on two hours of sleep. I finally left at around 5:00 pm, because I could barely keep my eyes open.

When I boarded the tram to take me back to my car, I happened to sit in front of a group of tourists (they were speaking what sounded like Russian) and the family appeared to consist of Mom, Grandma, Dad (? Could have been Grandpa), and two young boys - one infant, the other around 4 or 5 years old. The mother was sitting in the seat directly before the others (this is important later).

The older child was wearing a pirate outfit and was playing with a plastic sword. By playing I mean he was smacking it anywhere he could, including into his mother's shoulder and near his infant brother. The mother finally took it away from him, and what did he do? Immediately started to cry and HIT her! He was smacking her anywhere he could reach (she was in the seat in front of him, so he really only had access to her shoulders and head), and mumbling in that indecipherable child-speak. I was floored.

The mom put the toy sword on a stroller she had sitting next to her, and when she told the little boy off for hitting her, he actually reached over the seat and tried to take the sword off the stroller. Again, the mom said something to him and tried to pry his hand away from the toy sword. He wasn't budging though, and I could slowly see the mother starting to give in. In my head I'm screaming "NO! Don't reward his tantrum! Don't do it!" but of course, he ended up getting his sword back.

I'm always saddened when parents give in to their kids. I can understand being exhausted and not wanting to deal with it, but rewarding a child for bad behavior just makes them repeat the behavior. It's best to stick to your guns as best you can and try to cement the fact that YOU are boss, and no amount of tantrum throwing will change that.
    Last edited by Moosenogger; 10-01-2011, 07:26 AM.

Perhaps she was waiting until she was in a place with no cameras or witnesses.

Comment

Geez. I'd have put the kid in a lock. I know quite a few body locks that will prevent even an adult from injuring me. A toddler? NO problem.

Stick him in a lock. His tantrum therefore has no effect (except for being loud, unfortunately), and he achieves nothing from it.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Maybe she gave him back his toy because she didn't want him screaming and disturbing the other passengers on the bus. So she did you a favor.

She's the one who's going to have to handle his behavior at home, I'd just be glad she stopped the howling so I could have a calm bus ride!
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Could be ... my question is, did the kid resume smacking everything in sight with the sword? If so, then mom lost that round, though I agree she was between a rock and a hard place (let the kid keep whaling away with the sword or have him scream the place down). If he at least handled it better after he got it back, then no harm, no foul.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            Could be ... my question is, did the kid resume smacking everything in sight with the sword? If so, then mom lost that round, though I agree she was between a rock and a hard place (let the kid keep whaling away with the sword or have him scream the place down). If he at least handled it better after he got it back, then no harm, no foul.
            Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            Maybe she gave him back his toy because she didn't want him screaming and disturbing the other passengers on the bus. So she did you a favor.

She's the one who's going to have to handle his behavior at home, I'd just be glad she stopped the howling so I could have a calm bus ride!
            Surprisingly, he wasn't screaming his head off. He was mostly crying softly and trying to hit his mother. When the mother gave the sword back, he did smack it around a bit, but the one who did the most instigating was the infant. The mother handed the baby the plastic sword hilt, and he continuously hit his older brother with it. Why didn't the mom take the sword hilt from the infant? No idea. But the older boy did a good job of not acting out when he was getting wailed on by his little brother.

Comment

O_o

dang the whole tantrum thing never worked with mom (or my sister). All it guarantees is being in bigger trouble. and of course not getting the toy you're screaming for.

Comment

My father would take my sister and I to the restroom for an "attitude adjustment" whenever we acted out, so we knew to keep our mouths shut.

Comment

also... are those hard plastic swords or softer rubbery ones?

one of my former friends use to work for disney. he claimed he was normally tigger but switched with another actor so the other guy could get off earlier... and that some kid decided to see if tigger was real and stabbed him with a sword. according to him it went deep enough to cut the actor and that they switched to rubbery ones after that

Comment

i'd have taken the sword and broken it in front of him, if it were my kid, but, when he was little, i didn't buy him stuff like that, and usually a curt word was enough. mean? maybe but it's damned effective and sends a message: play with it right or you won't have it at all.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      also... are those hard plastic swords or softer rubbery ones?
                      This sword was a hard-plastic one. And yowch, I feel for your friend.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Geez. I'd have put the kid in a lock. I know quite a few body locks that will prevent even an adult from injuring me. A toddler? NO problem.

Stick him in a lock. His tantrum therefore has no effect (except for being loud, unfortunately), and he achieves nothing from it.
                        I agree with this wholeheartedly. My mom actually had to put one child in what she described to me as a 'basket hold', which she learned when working at a correctional facility years back when I was a kid-I actually went there with her a few times. The girl in question was one of many my mom used to babysit, and she had actually jumped out of her mother's still-moving van and ran off, actually getting a fair distance before my mom chased her down (it's a good thing the girl's mom got my mom instead of me to chase her down, because I am physically incapable of running due to an old injury that healed incorrectly, I'm now partially crippled in my left leg and have to wear a brace when walking any distance and I just plain can't run without indescribable pain), caught her, literally dragged her back to the house, and when the girl got violent (mind you she's a fairly large nine year old, capable of doing some damage-large as in tall and lanky, not fat) my mom pinned her down to the floor.

The girl's mom was dithering about whether or not she should really go take her son to the thing he was supposed to be at instead of attending to the girl's wants-the girl is clearly her favorite and has been spoiled to the point of sheer stupidity, and all the other children they have (they've adopted several, one of the eldest of whom was in jail last time I heard about him) know this. My mom told her no, we could handle it, the little boy didn't deserve to have something he NEEDED, not wanted, NEEDED, to have done (something medical or for school I believe) put off just because his sister was misbehaving. She stopped at the doorway and started dithering again. I walked up to her, looked her in the eye, gave her one of my darkest looks (the females in my family are capable of looks that would have a longhorn bull wetting itself in fear) and flat out stated. "GO."

She left.

My mom had to keep the girl pinned for quite a while, during which time she ignored the girl's screams and threats and shrieks and calmly informed me what technique she was using, and showed me how it kept any hits or kicks the girl was trying to hit her with from hitting her, causing the girl to hurt herself instead until she finally gave up. After a while she finally calmed down, and realizing she was NOT getting her way, actually became manageable. Of course as soon as mommy showed up it was "WAAAAAAAHHH WHY DID YOU ABANDON ME THEY WERE SO MEAN TO ME YOU LEFT ME YOU DON'T LOVE ME IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME THEN BUY ME THIS RIGHT NOW BAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW." I wanted to smack her so bad.

I'm just glad my mom doesn't watch that little snot anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X