This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Peter Pan Scandal

OK, OK, OK. Over the weekend, I found two jars of Peter Pan peanut butter with 2111 as the first four numbers in the serial number. I did the grocery shopping yesterday and Publix was totally cleaned out of Peter Pan, so I actually bought their peanut butter, and it tastes pretty good. Cheaper, too!

I'm just wondering now how many lawsuits people are going to file over this one.

Um.... I might be dumb for asking this but did I miss something here?

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
      Um.... I might be dumb for asking this but did I miss something here?

Over the past week, there was a recall on Peter Pan peanut butter where any jars that had the serial number of 2111 as the first four numbers......it was said they could be contaminated with salmonella being there were 300 or so cases reported in 39 states.

Comment

Ah, I had not heard that. Suits me for not staying abreast of current events :P

Comment

Not to downplay the possible seriousness of a salmonella contamination, but I caught a quick bit of the news last night; the tag line under the reporter's "serious" face was "What's causing the Peter Pan scare?" My first thought was, "um, the media, mostly..." Lucky for me I don't eat peanut butter. And in my house, it's Skippy all the way, anyway.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

same here; i found one and dumped it.

i did have some problems that would have fit the salmonella profile (minor), but to be fair, some funky virus has also been going around (and around... ), so it could have been either one.

i just sucked it up, rested and recovered.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Oh, okay, that Peter Pan scandal. For awhile there I was wondering if somebody had 'discovered' and got their panties in an enormous wad over the un-PC song "What Made the Red Man Red?" in the Disney Peter Pan movie. 'Course, that could've been taken out since its re-release for all I know.

As for peanut butter, we get Skippy or the house brand, sometimes Jif at my place. I'm not sure my local supermarket even carries Peter Pan, but we don't go looking for it, either.
              Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
              - Robert E. Howard

Comment

My dad and stepmom got sick off the storebrand peter pan. Great value, or whatever its called, same 2111 number.
                I had some weird tasting peanut butter, but it was 1122... hehe. oh well.
                my dad eats peanut butter like anyone else breathes air
                http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth ForestDragon View Post
                  Oh, okay, that Peter Pan scandal. For awhile there I was wondering if somebody had 'discovered' and got their panties in an enormous wad over the un-PC song "What Made the Red Man Red?" in the Disney Peter Pan movie. 'Course, that could've been taken out since its re-release for all I know.
                  Actually, it stayed in, at least in the Danish version.... And yes, I'm such a Peter Pan fanbrat that I bought the re-release DVD the day it arrived in the stores
                  "You're a ninja. You can't be a fan of pirate rock"

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
                    My dad and stepmom got sick off the storebrand peter pan. Great value, or whatever its called, same 2111 number.
                    Since I've been unable to catch the nightly news, I may be incorrect on this, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I do believe that Peter Pan pb and a generic brand come from the same company. Both are (or were) subject to this, but isn't the media just mentioning Peter Pan now?
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                      Since I've been unable to catch the nightly news, I may be incorrect on this, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I do believe that Peter Pan pb and a generic brand come from the same company. Both are (or were) subject to this, but isn't the media just mentioning Peter Pan now?
                      Possibly. I know the other "brand" was the Wal-Mart brand, Great Value. Maybe Wal-Mart doesn't want their name "tarnished" so they pulled some strings? Either way, Con Agra foods is the ones that made both brands. I heard some family in Missouri is already suing because the whole family got sick.
                      --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Working...
                      X