This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible student loan lenders

This is not an issue with a single employee that pisses me off - it's the entire goddamn company. I don't want to say their real name, but you can probably guess who I mean: Mallie Sae.

They are fucking horrible. I've got several thousand dollars in private loans with them and I've been reading some horror stories from other customers of theirs lately and it made me remember just how shitty these people are.

Like many, I was a dumb, naive college freshman who trusted the financial department to help me pay for school. Didn't read what I signed because I figured it'd all work out and I'd only have to pay $50 a month (what I was told). Well hey looky, I graduate and they want $800 a month! Yeah, no - I don't even have a job. So I called them and told them I have no real job and I made maybe $1K-$2K a year from freelancing. Oh well then, you only have to pay $380 a month then! Oh well then, I'll just go out back to my money tree and get that for ya!

Then that bill steadily went up each month, and after being in repayment for less than a year, somehow my bill reached almost $600. Apparently they will not lower it anymore. Then I was shoved into grad school and my loans are in deferment, but boy Mallie Sae is sure happy to tack on interest! Now I owe more than what I did when I graduated and all the thousands I somehow paid mean nothing.

That's just what happened to me. Other fun things Mallie Sae does are:
    • Will apply payments to one loan, meaning any other loans you have will be labeled delinquent. They will charge late fees for this and report you to credit companies.

• May not apply online payments until after the due date (even if they are made on time) so they can tack on late fees and report you for non-payment to credit companies.

• Constantly give customers the run around when they try to call and get things sorted out. Hours and hours on the phone will often accomplish nothing because people you can't even understand will just repeat everything over and over again, threaten you, accuse you of lying or simply hang up.

• If you don't pay, they will garnish your paycheck, take your house/car, drain your bank accounts, ruin your credit, sue you, and harass you and everyone you know by calling anywhere from 2 to 25 times a day. Employers often will not hire someone with shitty credit, so I fail to see how it's supposed to help someone repay their debt when the lender ruins their chances at finding work in order to PAY.

• Will absolutely not work with borrowers to figure out payment plans that are affordable. They want as much of their money as fast as possible and they give not one shit if you can't afford rent, your car, food, or any of your other bills.

• Don't allow you to put entire payments toward the loan balance itself - it either is applied entirely to interest or mostly to interest and a teeny tiny bit to the actual balance. This is why some people may see their balance increase after repaying the damn loans for years.

• Income-based repayment options do not apply to their private loans.

Basically, horrible company. This is why I will probably never have a job, a car, a house, money to live, or even be able to live on my own. These people have already ruined me financially and there is no way out unless I die or leave the country forever. They seem to be more concerned with trying to set its borrowers up for failure to keep them forever in debt rather than try to help them pay with an affordable plan so they can, you know, get repaid for money borrowed.

I cannot believe a company as corrupt as Mallie Sae is allowed to even exist. Yes, it's the borrowers' faults in part for signing with them, but I don't think making an ignorant choice should damn someone to joblessness and poverty for the rest of their lives. Why is it if you're irresponsible with credit cards, you can declare bankruptcy and get it all forgiven, but you go to school to try and make a better life for yourself, you can't get your student debts forgiven? It's not fucking right. Most people are more than willing to repay on their student debts, but Mallie Sae makes it so tremendously difficult that a lot of people feel that letting the loans go into default is better than paying them off.

Has anyone else here ever had to deal with Mallie Sae? If not, try Googling the actual name of the lender and you will find thousands upon thousands of complaints.
    Last edited by ShadowBall; 10-02-2011, 05:21 AM. Reason: Added one more thing.

You are not alone in being ruined by student loan debts.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Yeah...guess who owns MY student loan debt?

I have between 10 and 13 credit hours left to graduate (one class has variable credit hours depending on how you approach it). Mallie Sae got quite nasty with me last year because apparently I've already borrowed as much as they want to lend me. (How dare I decide to change majors and take more than 4 years to graduate!) My "$50" payments are $980, looming on the horizon. We pay less than that in rent every month. I -make- less than that every month.

If I start having to repay my student loans, I will never save enough money to finish my degree. But just working through school isn't earning me enough to keep going. It's a horrible cycle that I managed to fend off until this semester, when I finally couldn't afford school anymore. I have to earn enough to get back in in the spring or I'm screwed.
      It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

HOLY MOLY

I'm so happy I only got public government student loans thru the DOE.....

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
          Why is it if you're irresponsible with credit cards, you can declare bankruptcy and get it all forgiven, but you go to school to try and make a better life for yourself, you can't get your student debts forgiven?
          Firstly: yes, you can declare bankruptcy and get them forgiven.
          Secondly: there are loan assistance companies which will help you renegotiate loans.
          Thirdly: you can take out a loan with a better company with more reasonable repayment schemes (use a reputable loan assistance company to help you find one), and use that loan to pay out the bad one.

Despite what the crap company tells you, they don't have power over you for life. You will probably need the help of some charity like the one Victoria (?) on here works for - the sort that makes a point of making it possible for you to rebuild your life - but they exist, and they will help. And someone who is willing to do the work on their part is exactly who they're here TO help.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

As soon as my brother got accepted into college we started getting letters saying that they were a great student loan company, then when it came to payments they were always on his ass so my mom and dad helped him out.
            ......../\
            ....../__\
            ..../\...../\
            ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Umm....no. Student loans are one of the few things that are NOT forgiven by bankruptcy. Just ask my ex.

Comment

http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/ is the first of several Google results on 'us bankruptcy student loan', and covers several ways to resolve a student loan.

Among others are income based repayment plans, consolidation into a federal loan program, and forbearance.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Quoth dendawg View Post
                  Umm....no. Student loans are one of the few things that are NOT forgiven by bankruptcy. Just ask my ex.
                  Student loans can be forgiven thru bankruptcy, but it's rare. I work in the industry myself, and my company is a competitor to the above-mentioned company. I've heard quite a few things about that company that were pretty bad, so when the news came out that they were trying to take over our company, quite a few people were nervous as hell. Thankfully, it never happened.

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                  I have between 10 and 13 credit hours left to graduate (one class has variable credit hours depending on how you approach it). Mallie Sae got quite nasty with me last year because apparently I've already borrowed as much as they want to lend me. (How dare I decide to change majors and take more than 4 years to graduate!) My "$50" payments are $980, looming on the horizon. We pay less than that in rent every month. I -make- less than that every month.
                  If they won't loan you any more money, you might be able to get a loan with a different company. Either way, with most loans, you don't start repayment until you're out of school. And a lot of student loans have a grace period, typically six months, between the time you finish school and your first repayment date.

If you go into repayment because you've quit for finished school, and then go back to school, in many cases, you can get an "in school" deferment, and you won't have to make any payments until you're out of school again.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've also heard that the odds of getting student loans forgiven via bankruptcy are very, very low. You have to really convince people that paying off the loans will cause a genuine undue economic hardship. Also, consolidation and income-based repayment plans don't apply to private loans. According to the site Seshat linked to regarding bankruptcy, once in a while, you can convince people to forgive your loans if you got a shitty education. Personally, I will need to look further into that because the school I attended is what I would consider a diploma mill (basically do easy peasy work and buy good grades, which is why it cost six figures for a bachelor's degree) and was unaccredited until after I graduated.

Honestly, if I could give back my degree to get my private loans forgiven, I totally would.

Comment

Yeah. But "Very low" is a whole hell of a lot higher than "not at all" which is what you get if you give up before you even try.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I didn't read closely to what I signed and now I am making payment through them. The amount goes up every six months till it reaches 125 dollars. I am still in school so this is frustrating. I was under the impression it would be 35 a month and then the big ones kick in.

One thing that was frustrating was how that company's phone department lied to me. Outright lied. First time through, I applied a little late so my loan wasn't approved in time. It didn't help that supposedly my school didn't approve the loan. Every time I called, SM blamed the school till I called the school. The school called SM, made them fax the papers over, and my stuff was approved. Not sure who was at fault really at that point.

Next instance was when my 2nd part of the loan wasn't sent out by SM. They initially told me my loan was in hardship deferment due to non-payment. The lady insisted on it and I about it and I started crying since I made every payment and a little extra. The deferment department had no clue, reassured me I wasn't in whatever it was called, and sent me back to the initial department.

Then they decided it was my school's fault because they didn't confirm I was attending. I told them that I was looking at the one database almost all of colleges use (forgot what it is called) and that it clearly states my school confirmed my enrollment this semester. The girl transfers me to the supervisor.

I talk to the supervisor and she still blames my college. Then she realizes I have some idea and writes up some little incident for some other billing department. So I hang up and call the college. The college listens to my confusing story and calls up SM. They get it sorted out.

So I have a low opinion of them. Especially when they freaked me out with telling me my loans were in hardship thing with non-payments.

Comment

What I had to love was when they sent me to a company saying I had never paid them off. In July last year I had this lady call me who was all sweet until she could hear work sounds behind me.

"So are you trying to leave the country to not have to finish paying your loans?"
                          Me "...What?"
                          Lady "It sounds like your at a airport."
                          Me "No..."
                          Lady "WHY have you not paid on your loans?"
                          Me "Cause I paid them off in December?"
                          Lady "Well I don't show that on my screen. Let me refresh your file. *mutters something under her breath...pretty sure I heard the word liar in there*
                          Me trying to not get hit by other carriers for being in the way while I wait.
                          Lady "Have a WONDERFUL day Mam." *click* and her voice had the most malicious sound in it

Comment

Quoth emt_cookies View Post
                            I didn't read closely to what I signed and now I am making payment through them. The amount goes up every six months till it reaches 125 dollars. I am still in school so this is frustrating. I was under the impression it would be 35 a month and then the big ones kick in.
                            Ah yes, "Graduated Payments." It wasn't that long ago that payments were almost always one flat amount, with maybe the final payment being smaller because things didn't quite come out even. Now I'm seeing payment schedules consisting of three levels or more.

I don't know that much about how student loans work, other than the basics. I'm just a programmer, and while I have access, I don't regularly review accounts, and I don't deal with customers (yay!) Basically, I go in, put on my headphones, work on my assignments, and leave. I might hear from my supervisor when she gives me a new assignment or wants to check on the status of my current ones, or I might have to talk to a user or someone higher up if I have any questions or problems with what I'm working on. But sometimes, I can go for days without having to speak to anyone.

I do know there are different types of loans, where some of them don't go into repayment until six months after you finish school, and there are other ones where you go into repayment right away. Some of these are loans that a student's parents take out so their kids can go to school. While I don't know a lot of the complicated details, I do work with the data, and I was testing something just last week that had some long repayment periods. When I started there, most loans had a 10-year repayment period. Now I'm seeing some that have a 30-year period, just like a mortgage. One of the things the program I was testing was doing was calculating payoff dates, and some of these people won't be paid off until 2040!

Quoth emt_cookies View Post
                            They initially told me my loan was in hardship deferment due to non-payment. The lady insisted on it and I about it and I started crying since I made every payment and a little extra. The deferment department had no clue, reassured me I wasn't in whatever it was called, and sent me back to the initial department.
                            I'm actually surprised they put you on a deferment automatically like that, rather than a forbearance. For anyone who doesn't know, both of these will let you stop making payments for a period of time. The difference is the interest. If you're in a deferment, you don't get charged interest while you're in it. With a forbearance, you have to either pay the interest each month, or have it rolled into the principal, and then you end up paying interest on the interest as well as the principal.

Back in the winter of '96, we had a huge amount of snow dumped on us, followed by a sudden warm spell, which caused flooding in the Harrisburg area. The company I had my student loan with (not the company I work for) applied a forbearance to my loan. The funny thing was, they didn't notify me of it until the forbearance was almost expired. I hadn't suffered any damages or loss of income, so I had been making my regular payments. I ended up calling them and telling them I didn't need it, so they took it off. Not sure if it would have made a difference either way, since I had been making payments, but I figured better safe than sorry.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I guess I was lucky. I had them for my student loans. I paid them off early ( 6 years ago), and never had a problem with them.

I'm sorry they're making your life such hell, Shadowball.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                              X