Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes, it's not the SC's that make you weep for humanity...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes, it's not the SC's that make you weep for humanity...

This comes from a friend who runs a "GameStore"...

Recently, while said friend/SM was out of the store, one of the employees handled an exchange, of sorts. It was one of those situations where a customer brought in an opened, new game that had the "wrong disc" in the box. Corporate's stand on this is to just replace the "wrong" disc with a real one and send them on their way (presumably unless it's blatantly obvious how badly they're getting scammed), and just send the bad one to Shrink.

This particular day, the customer brought in a GoW title (the shooter) with a wrong disc and got a replacement disc without trouble, nice and smooth. The issue is that the "bad" disc wasn't exactly a video game disc that could easily be mistaken for something else. It was an audio CD ...Specifically, a pirated CD-R that looked like it had ben drug back and forth across a driveway a few times... And the employee, genius that he was, did the swap anyway. In said employee's...uh..."defense", my SM friend did not feel that he was the sort to do this on purpose as part of some elaborate theft attempt. Apparently, the lad really is just that stupid >_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

...Wow. I have no words.

Comment

Unfortunately, since GameStore only sells open product, it really opens them up to this sort of odd scam.

But that the kid fell for it is really rather sad.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

This is one of the reasons I like it when a game store purchase involves handing the disks over to the customer in such a way the customer, employee AND counter-viewing security camera see what's been provided.

Sure, sometimes even the 'right' disk is a dud, but at least that leaves no excuse for claiming you received a weirdly wrongly labelled disk. (unless on security camera review it's shown that both customer and employee missed that fact!)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yes, it was likely a scam by the customer doing the return, but we would sometimes get a similar DVD return. What we discovered is that a scammer buys the DVD, replaces the DVD with a junk disc, shrink wraps the case and then returns the DVD. Seems like a lot of effort to me, but we had a ring of scammers that would pull crap like that.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

in all honesty... I have seen it happen before.

I once bought Dad a WW2 movie. I finally got around to mailing it to him, only for him to send it back asking why I was sending him a copy of AOL.

thankfully the store let me return it. it prolly looked like a scam to them but seriously... who the fuck takes an old classic ww2 movie out and shoves AOL back in it? Not me... but someone did.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Yes, it was likely a scam by the customer doing the return, but we would sometimes get a similar DVD return. What we discovered is that a scammer buys the DVD, replaces the DVD with a junk disc, shrink wraps the case and then returns the DVD. Seems like a lot of effort to me, but we had a ring of scammers that would pull crap like that.
              Sure, sounds like a lot of effort; but: a new Blockbuster movie on Blu-Ray can easily run 20-25 Euro around here. TV Shows? Newest season of a hit series 40-50 Euros. For that kinda cash, the effort doesn't seem quite that much, anymore.
              You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Working...
              X