This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creeper at Dunky Doo's

When I was about 12, I used to bike ride all over the place; places my parents would have an aneurysm over if they had ever found out. Busy and dangerous streets, long distances, I didn't care. I loved bike riding. I also loved donuts, and the closest Dunkin Donuts was about 6 miles from our house.

With $2 in my pocket, I rode to this Dunkin Donuts... now, this was July, 1996, on the day after the tragic TWA Flight 800 crash, which was all over the news. After I ordered my stuff I was standing in front of one of the hanging TVs covering the crash. I heard a voice from behind.

"Terrible crash, isn't it?"

I turned around and saw a seemingly innocuous middle-aged woman standing about 4 feet away from me. I said, "Yes, it is."

She took a step forward towards me and said, "I wonder what caused it."

Not even realizing it, my reflexes backed me up a step.

Her: "Did you notice you stepped backwards just as I was stepping forwards?"
    Me: "I guess. I dunno."
    Her: "That's so funny!" *steps forward, I step backward* "This is sooo weird! You have a very good command of personal space!"
    Me: "Umm... heh, good?"
    Her: "It's very good" *continues to experiment with my boundaries* "Wow! Don't give that up!"
    Me: "Umm... okay, I won't."

I decided at this point to take my donut to go and ride back home, hoping she doesn't continue her little social experiment on the road.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Yeah, that is creepy. And rude. And did I mention creepy?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
    X