Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was getting automated collections messages on my answering service for a while, which was amusing yet frustrating as the dialer started its message on pickup, while my service didn't start recording until it had played its own message. Eventually their message got convoluted enough that it lasted beyond my outgoing schpeil, and I was able to get their number; I called them back, explained I had no idea who they'd been chasing for the last 6 months but perhaps they could check back with whoever entered my number on the system - oh, and their messages were including all kinds of financial information, which should surely only be disclosed to the account holder? ... Never heard from them again.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Brojekk View Post
      When you get a call for someone you never heard of and tell the collections agent that, I wonder if the agent thinks you're lying and covering for the person they're looking for.
      Thankfully in my case "Billy" didn't have any collections issues. It sounds more like his buddies calling to meet up. And they haven't called me for a few weeks. *knock on wood*

Although I did get a call from some army dude telling me about the plans for today (nice opsec buddy)
      And a call for some other dude (Not billy though) about missing a piss test... which freaked me out cos the name they asked for was my BF's first name... ok ... possible, but weird.
      Last edited by PepperElf; 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

We had some guy who was handing out our number as his, for a while. Eventually I started saying 'No, we're not him, and when you do get in touch with him, please ask him to stop handing out our number!'

Noone we said that to called us again.

And (knock on wood) he's finally stopped.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

uggg. There is a chick that has the same first middle and last name as me. She is a little older and where I have a y is my 1st name she as an I. I used to get calls for her all the time for bills due.

calls went like this

CA-can I talk to JLC
          Me-This is she
          CA-This is so and so from CA
          Me-You are looking for the other JLC that lives in my very small town.
          CA-Yes I am sure I am
          Me-I dont know her phone number or exact address but there are 2 of us
          CA-Can we make arrangments to get this debt paid off
          Me-You need to call her.
          CA-Stop messing around
          Me-please take my number off your list.

After so many calls I got my number unlisted. I got stuff in the mail all the time for her.

Now that I am married it seemed to stop.

I saw her one time and she looks like a million bucks....to bad she doesnt pay her bills.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            When people call my cell for "billy" i just tell them "I have no idea who billy is" to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak
            Billy must have lost my number, cuz' he's not anywhere, where I can find him
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              I see what you did there

I used to have a dedicated line in my home for our local chapter of my child loss group...and we got collection calls for the same person for a LOOONNNG time. I usually let the calls go to voice mail, but every once in a while I'd "patiently" explain AGAIN that the person they were looking for must have changed their phone number, hence our chapter's message before the beep...so glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. (I was chapter leader for 2 years.)
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I just saw him running down the street. Look around where the shadows end and night begins.

The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

It's sad, really...after all, they didn't know him, and they didn't understand...they never asked him why...
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

"Get out of my way!" I heard him shout, and then a blinding light.
                      All I could see was him running down the street, out of the shadows and into the night.

Comment

Rikki didn't lose my number. She don't want to call nobody else.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Rikki didn't lose my number. She don't want to call nobody else.
                          But some random guy has a friend in town who's heard her name...

Comment

"Dave's not here, man."
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Then there's poor Gloria, who knows all the men want her, but can't figure out why nobody's calling.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                                Then there's poor Gloria, who knows all the men want her, but can't figure out why nobody's calling.
                                We're all dialing 953-8464. (WLD-THNG)
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X