Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it kill you to wait for two seconds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it kill you to wait for two seconds?

Last night I was at the supermarket shopping with a cart full of about 30 items. I was making sushi that night for the first time and wanted to do a good job.

I start unloading my cart. I have maybe two items off of it when this heavyset lady behind me grabs one of those divider sticks, and places it right against my second item, leaving me about a foot of space on the belt as she starts to heap her own cart onto it.

I ask her politely "Oops, can you hang on? I'll be done offloading here in just a second."

She just continues to load her stuff on.

I was having a bad day at that point, and I say louder "Excuse me, can you wait a few seconds while I finish unloading my cart?"

She just turns, looks at me for about two seconds and then goes right back to what she was doing.

So, not wanting to put up with any shit from this lady, I grab the divider she put down, and forcefully shove it back about three feet, taking all her groceries with it down the belt, the order she had all her items in completely lost as they all got jumbled.

She looks at me, starts to open her mouth, and I shoot her an extremely evil look. I bend down to grab another item to put on the belt, now that I have an extra three feet of room, and by the time I do, she is looooong gone.

The cashier busted up laughing. She said she sees customers act rude all the time, not giving the people in front of them enough time to offload, but she said she had never seen anyone handle it that way.

Moment of inspiration, I guess.
    "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

It's because we dream of doing it to these SCs when we're working, and when we see it happen somewhere we don't work, and isn't the same corporate chain that we work in, we have all these ideas bopping around our heads.

Trust me. I do it in arcades that aren't the one I work for.
    Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Wow, I can't believe some people. She didn't realize you weren't even finish unloading your buggy(or cart or trolley, depending on where you live ) and decided that it was okay to start unloading hers. I wondering if she saw that most of your stuff was still in the cart and oh, I don't know wait till you finish. I think she was a very rude person and you handle it very well.
      Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
      My space
      Facebook

Comment

Gah. i had one of those at my local grocery store. i only had a hand-basket though so it wasn't as bad as Kusangi's experience.

Comment

The same thing happened to me. Now I unload my cart at the end of the belt. The belt moves my order up to the scanner as I unload.

If the folks behind me are nice, they don't even notice because they wouldn't dream of trying to use the belt until I'm done. And the jerks can't get anywhere near the belt because my cart is in the way.

Once I'm done unloading, I immediately move the cart up and place a divider behind my order so the next customer can unload.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot View Post
            Gah. i had one of those at my local grocery store. i only had a hand-basket though so it wasn't as bad as Kusangi's experience.
            If you have a handbasket, just stick the whole thing on the belt. We don't mind, usually, and that won't give any rude, impatient biddies behind you time to disrupt your unloading.

Myself, I always make sure the person in front of me is done first, and that I leave belt space for whoever's behind me. I couldn't dream of being as selfishly rude as that wench. But you know SCs, they're the only one in the world that matters, and everyone else's rights be damned.
            Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

Some people. My damn.

Kusanagi, too bad you couldn't have followed her to whatever register she ended up at and do the same thing to her.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

i just had a mental pic of the cashier "accidentally" making the belt go in the "away" mode, making things fall off...oh, and quickly doing the "oh crap, i didnt mean to do that" routine for CYA-protocol.
                You have the right to behave badly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a blog of my choice.

Comment

well done

You are sucky customer king again, how dare she, does she not know you are

THE ONE.
                  ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                  Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

If you have a handbasket, just stick the whole thing on the belt. We don't mind, usually, and that won't give any rude, impatient biddies behind you time to disrupt your unloading.
                    Very interesting, especially that no one's replied to this point yet. Until CS, I thought that was OK, but one thing that keeps coming up in threads about rude people at the checkout counter is that they set the basket on the belt instead of unloading it because (for some reason I've never quite understood) they should know it hurts the cashier to lift their things out of it.
                    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I put the basket on the belt. But then I unload myself coz I'm a big girl now! My Mommy says I am! *in a proud 2 year old voice*
                      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        I put the basket on the belt. But then I unload myself coz I'm a big girl now! My Mommy says I am! *in a proud 2 year old voice*
                        Me too Me too!!! Most of the stores I frequent have spaces under the end of the belt for the baskets, so I just unload and put it there.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I unload the basket and then use it as a divider between my stuff and the person behind me.
                          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Ok, now I've never seen this happen/heard about it happening so maybe I've just gotten lucky up until this point, but DAMN, how rude is that? Good for you sticking up for yourself and letting her know in no uncertain terms that you were not finished and that you'd be damned if she was going to ignore that fact.

On a side note, perhaps I have not encountered such SC-ness because I always unload at the end of the belt and move my cart up when I'm done?

On a totally off note:
                            Discourtesy-I love that avatar. I laughed out loud.
                            I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                            "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                              Until CS, I thought that was OK, but one thing that keeps coming up in threads about rude people at the checkout counter is that they set the basket on the belt instead of unloading it because (for some reason I've never quite understood) they should know it hurts the cashier to lift their things out of it.
                              I cashiered at the big bullseye for a while, and they actually taught us in the cashier training that people should unload their baskets onto the belt because we were rated by the amount of time checkouts take to complete. I never had much of a problem with it, and certainly was never really upset when people didnt unload, but I guess theoretically shorter checkers might have trouble reaching into the baskets easily? and a lot of people jam those things so full that things get stuck.

Comment

Working...
                              X