This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old people and HD TV

I was waiting in line to buy a USB stick for my computer. The guy in front of me in the line was easily 80 years old, typical old guy, with huge hearing aids, flat cap and walking stick.

C = Clerk
    OM = Old Man

OM: I want one of them HD's
    C: You mean a HD TV sir?
    OM: No, I have Sky, and I want Sky HD
    C: OK, do you have a HD television sir?
    OM: What?
    C: A HD television.
    OM: What's one of them then?
    C: Well to get the clearer picture of Sky HD, you will need a HD television and a Sky HD box to recieve the signal.
    OM: *Not understanding* No, I just want my TV to get HD
    C: Of course sir, but you will need a HD TV and a HD reciever box.
    OM: A what? No you don't understand, I just want my TV to get HD

By this time, I'm getting annoyed, all I want to do is pay for my USB stick!

OM: OK then, how much will this cost?
    C: Well, our HD ready TV's start at £500...
    OM: How much???
    C: £500 sir.
    The old man puts his wallet away
    OM: Well what about Sky HD?
    C: Well, the reciever boxes start at £199.99...
    Old man stumbles with shock
    C: And then there's the added subscription fee...
    OM: You're trying to con me aren't you?
    C: Sir?

By this time, another clerk has come to the desk, and I'm finally getting served, but both me and the clerk are fascinated by this old man.

OM: Does it make you feel good conning an old man out of his pension?
    C: I'm sorry sir but I don't set the prices...
    OM: GARGH! *Waves his stick at the clerk* How can you sleep at night?

He walks out the store, grumbly to himself, something along the lines of "No good kid trying to rip me off, he's not getting my money."

Old people and technology should be illegal.

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
    No, stupid people and technology should be illegal.
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
      No, stupid people and technology should be illegal.
      Agreed. My grandma is 85, but she can use her own computer, and knows when to ask my dad/brother for help/explanations, instead of arguing with strangers at the store.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Old people should just know what the hell they are talking about before they go accusing salespeople of being "stupid kids" and trying to "con" them out of their pensions.

Well then again, a lot of people should know what they are talking about before they go making accusations.....but a lot of senior citizens think that their age means that they know all, and don't you dare tell them otherwise. The worst part? Their baby boomer aged children act the same way, so once we get rid of this "gimme pig" generation, there's another worse one right behind it.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

So now you are sterotyping all older people?

My grandparents has a computer, and knows how to use it. My other grandmother has a TV, that she somewhat knows how to use. Also she has other electronics, that she does know how to use.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            Old people should just know what the hell they are talking about before they go accusing salespeople of being "stupid kids" and trying to "con" them out of their pensions.
            Young people should take a lesson in knowing what the hell they are talking about, too. Alot of people don't realize that was they have can be fixed--not thrown away and re-bought.

And bonus points for old people: None of them put gaint wings on a Civic, thinking that will make it go faster; or wear pants that show off a vertical smile; or try drinking a bottle of malt vinegar.
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
              Young people should take a lesson in knowing what the hell they are talking about, too. Alot of people don't realize that was they have can be fixed--not thrown away and re-bought.
              And most of them have a clue how a budget works, and can survive without a credit card.

Comment

Sure young people have their moments too. But all I ever read in the paper (I once read in the opinion section in the paper about an old man who was pissed of at Menards because of a rebate he didn't understand, and so he made it about how there is no "service" in customer service anymore) and see at the store are penny pinching old people, who make a mistake, then blame it on the closest employee they can find and accuse them of being "stupid". Everyone is supposed to feel sorry for gramps, who couldn't read a price tag or understand the concept of a rebate, but if a young person does it.........what a mean, mean snot nosed little brat!

Not fair. Old people can regress to childish behavior and we are supposed to "put up with it", and when young people just haven't grown up yet, we are frowned upon by society.
                Last edited by blas; 02-24-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Ofcourse they can talk about us younger people, like that. It is because they actually understand the meaning of "A Penny Earned, Is A Penny Saved". Ofcourse they are not going to understand something, we are all like that.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Ok this thread is going down an ugly road just keep it civil instead of making it an age war or generalization feast.
                    I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Sorry mr pillow pants

I just found sick irony in this story as we all tend to do in a lot of stories on this site.

Comment

hearhear
                        ALL UNATENDED GROCERIES SHAL BE RESTOCKED! (or incinerated, pick your poison )

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          I have problems with both young, old, and middle aged people in my job. The young people think that their insurance information will just magically appear in my computer without any input from them.
                          The middle-aged people cannot grasp the concept that copays and formularies can change from year to year.
                          Old people cannot figure out Medicare Part D.

I'm screwed every which way you look at it.

Comment

Working...
                          X