This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power company rep

Not sure if this is a Sighting or not, but...
    Got a text out of the blue from my power company saying my account was delinquent & due for disconnection
    ... Which is pretty bad, considering I'm at least $20 in credit by the time the bill gets printed every month
    So I call the company up, and... Well, I'm actually pretty annoyed. I ended up having the calm the rep down! He was really sarcastic & aggro, like when I gave him my account information & asked him why my account had suddenly gone from in credit to being "delinquent" (BTW turns out their idea of "overdue" is "14 days after the bill is sent out ) - he snarkily said "Well, you use the power, we charge you for the power." then something like "How hard is that?"
    I forced myself to laugh & say "Oh, you misunderstand, I get that part, I'm just wondering why it's..." blah blah blah.
    It was like pulling teeth to get him to check anything, he actually seemed to ooze this belief that I was some kind of terrible, terrible person. Finally I - a bit shortly - said "Look, pull up my last few accounts. Have a look at how I'm always in credit with you. NOW do you see why I'm confused that I've gone from $60 in credit to $90+ overdue??" which - when he did acquiesce - did humble him a bit.
    Long story short, I got no answers out of him although I did suggest perhaps they'd been making estimates, then done a meter reading & this was the correct amount.... But when I asked him to check if that could be the case, or what meter-reading setup they have for me (I'm in an apartment building for reference) he said "This is a callcenter, we're not meter readers you know! I'd only asked him to check what was on the records!
    I dunno. Maybe I'm overreacting but it seemed really out of line, those comments - and his attitude the whole time; hey, I'm the CUSTOMER. It's not MY job to calm YOU down!
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

As soon as a rep got snarky with me when I'm asking a legitimate question, I'd confirm that I had the asshat's name down and then ask for a supervisor.

There's no excuse for that sort of attitude over a simple question, and there's absolutely no excuse for being snotty and refusing to actually help.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The rep was being snarky all over something simple, I would've asked to speak with a supervisor to lodge a complaint . There was no excuse for the rep to act that way.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Definitely, talk to their boss!

I didn't think of that recently when I had a snotty credit card rep but plan to keep it in mind for future reference.

This sounds similar to another recent incident with me: around Labour Day I had arranged for pre-authorized payments with Ma Ding-dong. First payment was supposed to come out earlier this month, for September's bill. CSR really emphasized to me, DO NOT PAY THIS BILL OR YOU WILL PAY TWICE!! No problem, thanks!

So I get a bill this week aaaand ... it's a bill and a half. With late fees. Because it's telling me I'm late.

Call Ma Ding-dong and it turns out the problem is, I bank at a small local credit union rather than a Big Rapacious Banking Conglomerate. I'm told credit unions have "more numbers" in their transit numbers or routing numbers or whatever they're called -- and the guy who'd originally taken my info down hadn't gotten the full sequence from me.

So, I say, what happens with this bill?

"Oh, you have to pay it in full. Now."

*sigh*

The guy I spoke to wasn't rude. I was just annoyed by yet another corporate screwup that rebounds on me. Be interesting to see whether things go right when the next bill payment is supposed to come out.

Ludditism is starting to look pretty appealing, LOL.

Comment

Not your fault at all and you should straighten this rep out with his boss! Sorry you're having to deal with that crap.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Yuck

I'd have taken his name and ask for a supervisor. If he refused, I'd have hung up and then call back to speak with someone else.

Also, I find that when I have issues like that (like my current bill doesn't reflect what my last bill stated) and I start with

"I just have a question for you. On my list bill, it listed my total as '$$' and I paid '$$' on '##' but when I received this month's bill, it shows '$$'. Could you tell me why?".

I usually get better service then when I ask straight up. If I don't, I hang up and try again.

Also, "BTW turns out their idea of "overdue" is "14 days after the bill is sent out"
            ???
            yeah, no. lol

Hope you get it figured out and quickly. It was definitely not your fault.

Comment

Yeah i just got my power bill with the red edges on the envelope. Inside the bill says overdue, yet the due date is the 7th of Nov.
              GFY

Comment

See this is why I like that with my service providor I can go on and input my meter reading if it was just listed as EST. I once was given a bill for over 500 dollars and almost went into shock into reading it. Went out and checked my two meters and even took a picture of both so I could read them right.

Tried calling up the website and found it to be down for maitence, and then went oh yea...I got that email.

So I call up the company and the lady was glad to take the numbers I had. Told me my new balance which was around 200 (winter months....evil) and even gave me a extra seven days to pay my bill.

Comment

I think I give other call centres (not that I still work *in* one, but I'm right next to them on the floor still...) a LOT more leeway, for "having a bad day" etc.
                  I just don't wanna be a SC - even when it's justified
                  And yeah, wanted to bring up the point of "2 weeks after the bill is paid surely isn't grounds for DISCONNECTION?!" but figured that wasn't the time, the place... hell, OK, I just didn't wanna talk to Mr Grumpy Pants.
                  (oh & FWIW I just went home & paid it all off. Figure if it's a mistake, I'll just go into credit with them again.... )
                  Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                  What's the difference?
                  We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I DO work in a call center and I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for rude reps!
                    Sucky customers are going to happen a LOT--don't be a sucky rep. Be the person you want on the other end of YOUR call. It doesn't always work, but more times than not, it can take a sucky customer back to a reasonable semi-human.

Then there is the Kingdom of EW and the Realm of the Stupid People. Nothing can please them, short of your bloody head on a platter, no matter WHO is in the wrong.

Those--get a free pass, every time (so long as you have them on HOLD and MUTED) whilst you mutter under your breath explicit directions to Hell and a short list of attractions to visit during your (hopefully permanent) stay.

Word to the wise: NEVER, EVER under ANY circumstances--trus the Mute button alone. The ONE TIME you vent while they are only muted--it will fail and they WILL hear every single word--that will ALSO be the ONLY call of the day that was actually monitored.

Comment

Quoth foxytales View Post
                      Word to the wise: NEVER, EVER under ANY circumstances--trust the Mute button alone.
                      Murphy's Law, First Correction:
                      Murphy was a blithering optimist!
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth MiloMorai View Post
                        Yeah i just got my power bill with the red edges on the envelope. Inside the bill says overdue, yet the due date is the 7th of Nov.
                        If there's a previous unpaid amount (from a previous month), that's the part that's overdue. The Nov. 7th due date would be for the current amount (October).
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                          (oh & FWIW I just went home & paid it all off. Figure if it's a mistake, I'll just go into credit with them again.... )
                          Yes, but I'd keep an eye out to make sure they don't pull this kind of stunt again. If you know that your bill is being paid on time and that they're saying otherwise, you need to make the accountable for their mistakes. It sounds like you'd have done better to call back and ask for a supervisor to let them know about the rudeness you encountered, as well as make them aware that your bill is always ahead, and have them check up on it.
                          Random conversation:
                          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I had a snafu with my cable company a few months back (I only pay for internet, my landlord pays for cable).

I got an automated call, which was transferred to a real person. I got some southern lady who just came across as really rude and obviously hadn't a clue what kind of connection I had.

"Well yah see, yahr account is delinquent according to hour records, and eff ya don't paaay within thah next few daaays, if there's a technician in your area, he is guhhhna cut your waaahres and youh'll hafta paay $100 to reconnect."

Orly?

So in a few days, I should expect to see the Martyr Cable Police just randomly cutting nonexistent wires around my building?
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

not to mention even if they could disconnect they wouldn't cut wires. they'd just turn the signal off to your box.

Comment

Working...
                              X