This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tada!! Or, Tale of the Traveling Salespeople

I'm not sure where to put this, as it happened while I was at work tonight, but these people weren't really customers. This seems right, but if it's not, then mods, feel free to move it. Anyway, so, I was working yet another night shift at the C-store, when in wanders these two late-teenage to early-twenty-something kids, a guy and a girl, carrying boxes. I recognized what they were there for right away, as we'd seen similar in years past. Sure enough, they walk over to the counter, boxes in tow. M is Male, F is Female. ME is...Me.

M: Excuse me, can I ask you a question?
    ME: *thinking maybe I was wrong and they need directions* Sure. Go ahead.
    M: My name *name I can't make out through an Asian accent* and this is *another name i can't make out* and we're trying to raise money for our church group. We are selling these beautiful-opens box-
    F: TADA!!!
    M: Wind chimes! Would you like to help us out and buy one?
    ME: *forcing self not to laugh* Oh, no, thank you
    F: We need donations, even a dollar or some change would really help us out
    ME: No, I'm sorry, I can't help you out.
    They both looked disappointed, M shut his box, and they left. I saw them wandering all over the various places around the intersection, in the dark, peddling their wares, for the rest of the night. They were at one point approaching our customers in the parking lot with it, but I sent my AM after them, and they left. I'm not sure where these people come from, but they seem to turn up in the area just about every year, and we and the other businesses chase them away just about every year, for soliciting on our property. It could be a legit thing, it could be something else. I really don't know. I just know that you can't solicit on our (or most businesses) property.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

I make it a point not to buy anything from traveling sales people. Fortunately I don't get them much anymore, but it used to happen every other weekend.

Them: Random (bullshit it's random!) question: What kiind of cologne do you use?
    Me: Uh, I don't know why?
    Them: We're selling discounted name brand colognes. Yadayadayada.
    No thanks.

After I wised up:
    Them: Random question: What kind of cologne do you use?
    Me: Not interested.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

And then someone puts out a scent called "Not Interested".
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        I would buy that. I would SO buy that.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          But would it work as a pest repellent?
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

You know, there's a cologne out called 'Pon Farr' for all us Trek Geeks; smells nice too!

Of people trying to sell stuff on your property, we had some guy set-up some racks by his truck in our parking lot and start selling Xmas wreaths one year. Geeze.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I've heard of the cologne one. Last year I think these same people were selling necklaces or something. They told one of our customers last night that one of them was from California and one was from Ohio. How the fuck did they get to Iowa??
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                You know, there's a cologne out called 'Pon Farr' for all us Trek Geeks; smells nice too!
                I need me somma that
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  Where do I find this? My Trekkie boyfriend would love it!

Comment

Working...
                  X