This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That takes some balls....

My local favourite game store has, like every other company these days, a Facebook page. They're usually very friendly and passionate with their responses to various questions from "How much will I get for <this trade item>" to "Are you hiring?"

One bright spark decided to push the limit. This is his question paraphrased:

"Hi I have a PS2 console and a chip. Do you know any places that chip consoles?"

Who the hell admits that they're trying to chip a console on FACEBOOK?!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

All balls, no brains.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Why wouldn't you say it? It's not illegal, it's just not supported by the manfacturer, and I'd be willing to assume a PS2 would be out of warranty by now anyway...
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        Why wouldn't you say it? It's not illegal, it's just not supported by the manfacturer, and I'd be willing to assume a PS2 would be out of warranty by now anyway...
        It's illegal in Australia.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          It's illegal in Australia.
          Nope, it's legal.

The High Court says it's ok.
          Last edited by draco664; 11-04-2011, 10:21 AM. Reason: double negative

Comment

Quoth draco664 View Post
            Despite that, no company in Australia will touch that particular law with a ten-foot pole. It may be legal, but I think they said it was illegal as a CYA measure. The company in question has stated before that they don't and never have chipped consoles.

(draco, the company in question is the only Aussie-based one. Hint: the other two major retailers are UK and US based )

Comment

Why chip it at all? Get a slide card and a boot disc. I did that when I moved to Oz and took my PS2 with me.

Comment

When I used to work at Game Store, I would get that question from grandmas a lot. Grandma also wants to know how to copy discs and make them work. Because Grandma loves her grand-kids and doesn't comprehend why someone whose job is selling games may not want to tell people how to get them for free. Grandma means well, she just is not familiar with these kinds of things.
                Last edited by Raveni; 11-04-2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Ahem *points to latest Site News Post*

Keep it clean guys.
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

My understanding of the chip issue (source: Acts of Gord) is that there are 2 kinds of chips: those that let you play out-of-region games (Gord sold and installed that kind because some of his customers liked Japan-only releases), and those that will also let you play copied games (which, naturally, Gord wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole - a Louisville Slugger, on the other hand...).

It may be that the court ruling was on the first kind of chip, while the second was (rightfully) still illegal.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      My understanding of the chip issue (source: Acts of Gord) is that there are 2 kinds of chips: those that let you play out-of-region games (Gord sold and installed that kind because some of his customers liked Japan-only releases), and those that will also let you play copied games (which, naturally, Gord wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole - a Louisville Slugger, on the other hand...).

It may be that the court ruling was on the first kind of chip, while the second was (rightfully) still illegal.
                      The court ruling was based on the idea that the chips don't turn the PS2 into a disc-making factory. This guy wanted to play out-of-region games.

If the guy was trying to import games that were RC in Australia though, he's definitely boned. (RC=Refused Classification)

Comment

We're going through something similar at work but... even stricter than that.

They're getting VERY strict about what software we use for working on customer computers. If it's not on the list of approved software we cannot use it period.

So... if those gamers tried coming to my <company> it would be a straight out "no" just based on company policy alone.

Plus... even if we didn't have that policy, the game manufacturers we buy from would probably have something to say about it.... which is probably why many places won't do mods if they sell games.

Comment

Working...
                        X