This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subway and cell phones

I went to the local mall yesterday on my lunch hour, decided to on the way out, stop off at Subway in their food court. Little did I know that I would be there much longer than I normally am when I stop at other Subways.

I already knew what I wanted, which is the buffalo chicken sandwich. It's now my absolute favorite, complete with extra hot sauce. Yum!

But, moving on, it took forever due to this lady, looked to be in her early twenties, yapping on her cell phone, with her friend next to her texting on hers. Her exchange went something like this:

SC: I'd like a footlong, oh hold on. Yeah, we need that money moved to the new account. Yeah, make sure the PIN is not one Jason can access.

SSM (Subway Sandwich Maker): Maam, what kind of footlong would you like?

SC: Hold on. What? (with some annoyance)

SSM: What sandwich would you like?

SC: Oh, the BMT. Yeah, that's a great idea for us to do that. Well, Linda said.....

SSM: What kind of bread would you like?

SC: Hold on. What?

SSM: What kind of bread do you want for your sandwich?

SC: Italian is fine. Now, Linda was saying that she needs that account......

SSM: Cheese?

SSM: Cheese?

SC: Yes. So Linda needs that account.....

SSM: What kind of cheese?

SC: Hold on. What? (This was getting old!)

SSM: What cheese do you want on it?

SC: American. OK, I'm back. Linda needs to that account so Jason.....no, he doesn't need to get the PIN for it, only needs to know......

SSM: Would you like anything on the sandwich?

SC: Ugh! Hold on. What?

SSM: Do you want anything on it?

SC: Yes, pickles, peppers, cucumber, and mayonaise. Yeah, Jason doesn't need.....Oh, wait! Don't put mayonaise on that. I meant I wanted mustard. (Thank God she was paying enough attention to see this). Now, for that account, we need to......

SSM: All right, your total is........

The friend she was with was texting, but thankfully, she had the politeness to put the phone away and give the other sandwich guy her full attention. This other lady.....I think we all wanted to strangle her. Not once did she put that phone down, nor tell her party she would call back.

Ironically, the Subway closer to my house actually had a sign on the glass that says "Please end all cell phone conversations before ordering". I'm sure most ignore this, however.

I hate people like that. You doing your job is an annoyance to their phone conversation. FFS, hang up the phone and behave yourself.
    There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

My take on that is the sandwich maker/clerk/whatever should be able to move on to the next person until Ms. EntitledSCCellPhoneBitch is done with her conversation. I loathe people talking on their phones while I'm ringing them up, and I'm just a C-store clerk. I can't imagine how much worse it is for sandwich makers like that! Gah!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
        My take on that is the sandwich maker/clerk/whatever should be able to move on to the next person until Ms. EntitledSCCellPhoneBitch is done with her conversation. I loathe people talking on their phones while I'm ringing them up, and I'm just a C-store clerk. I can't imagine how much worse it is for sandwich makers like that! Gah!
        But, if he did that, all she needed to do was call Subway's corporate office and complain, using her ultimate weapon: Her cell phone!

With my line of work, I hate phones on my own time. I have to use them, but try to do so as little as possible.

Comment

The clerk should have gone on to the next customer. That is what I did whan I worked at Kinkos, if I was working the counter. I would not even engage someone on a phone, unless I actually heard them going, "Okay, I'll call you back." or some variation thereof.

I'll let them talk on the phone while I was ringing them up, but if I needed to interrupt, I'd do it without any preamble or apology. I'll cut them some slack there because, after all, people use Kinko's as an office sometimes, and that's fine. That's why it's there. But we're the ones running said office, and there's no way in hell some idiot is going to be allowed to hold up a line full of slam busy people on either side of the counter. That place is not going to be ground to a halt because some moron can't hang up his phone.

Comment

Rude much. I mean really, it's not that hard to hang up the phone and pay attention to the person in front of you taking your order, dumbass!
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Ugh. I saw something like this in my own Subway not too long ago.

Asshat was on the phone getting instructions on sandwiches from someone on the other end. He was getting FIVE sandwiches and kept having to ask the person repeat themselves.

Next time bring a list!
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I can sort of see doing this if you are getting the info to buy the sandwiches, however if you are on a totally off topic conversation, I would be tempted if I was the customer behind you to start singing...loudly

Comment

Quoth roguesqd View Post
                  ... start singing...loudly
                  You're the dead corsage that's in my frigidaire
                  You're the flaky specks of dandruff in my hair
                  You're the tickle in my throat that makes me cough
                  You're the hangnail in my life... and I can't bite you off

You're the soapsuds and pollution in my stream
                  When I'm sleeping you're the nightmare in my dream
                  You're the fattenin' food that sometimes gives me gout
                  You're just like my ingrown toenail... 'cause I can't cut you out
                  You're the sun that gives me sunburn
                  You're the cinder in my eye
                  You're voice can make my stomach turn
                  You're the raincloud in my sky
                  You're the dirty ring around my clean bathtub
                  You're the razor blade that always leaves the nubs
                  You're the broken handle on my coffe cup
                  You're a tire that just went flat... and I can't pump you up
                  You're the sun that gives me sunburn
                  You're the cinder in my eye
                  You're voice can make my stomach turn
                  You're the raincloud in my sky
                  You're the cycle seat that made me saddle-sore
                  You're the piece of chalk that scrapes across the board
                  You're the tickle in my throat that makes me cough
                  You're the hangnail in my life... and I can't bite you off

"You're The Hangnail In My Life" from "Snowblind Friend" performed by Hoyt Axton 1977

There's a very good reason I'm single.
                  Last edited by dalesys; 11-11-2011, 10:18 PM.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    The clerk should have gone on to the next customer. That is what I did whan I worked at Kinkos, if I was working the counter.
                    I completely agree with this, but would be willing to bet he probably has a spineless boss who won't allow them to serve the next customer when these asshats appear.
                    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

is Buffalo chicken? Is it buffalo meat and chicken meat?
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

There are (smaller) places here that will actively ignore SC's who refuse to hang up the cell when they get up to the counter to order. In other words, they will either say something like "Please hang up and I'll be glad to serve you, Ma'am" or they'll simply ask the next customer to come and take the SC's place.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          There are (smaller) places here that will actively ignore SC's who refuse to hang up the cell when they get up to the counter to order. In other words, they will either say something like "Please hang up and I'll be glad to serve you, Ma'am" or they'll simply ask the next customer to come and take the SC's place.
                          That's one of my favorite things about most privately owned places that I frequent. Same as what you stated above, they won't take that kind of crap because there's no 'corporate' for the SC to go whining to about it.

I seriously want to smack the phone out of the hands of these people. It infuriates me to be behind someone like that...hell, I don't even have to be involved - just reading it gets my blood pressure up. Total EWs!
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            is Buffalo chicken? Is it buffalo meat and chicken meat?
                            It's chicken that is covered in what's known as "buffalo sauce" which is essentially the sauce used for buffalo wings. No actual buffalo were harmed in the making of that sammich...
                            Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

More about buffalo chicken/sauce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_sauce
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X