This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's all about the ending

This is a story repeated from my mom, she told it to me yesterday, it happened a while ago, so the details may be fuzzy, but I still find the resolution amusing, so I thought I'd share.

A couple years back, while I was still in college, my parents went out to dinner with the neighbors (4 people total) to a Damon's restaurant in the area, which, coincidentally, is no longer there. They got there, got seated, it was a weeknight, and the restaurant was not that busy. Once they got seated, it apparently took near 30 minutes to get their drinks. The waiter who took the drink orders and brought them out then disappeared. A new waiter came out, and took their entree orders. They requested a basket of dinner rolls (which is usually complimentary and brought out without asking, in my experience), but by the time their entrees showed up (another 30+ minutes later), they still hadn't gotten the rolls. They went ahead and flagged down a waitress after the waiter who brought the entrees out disappeared, and she finally brought rolls. They then had to wait at least 20 minutes and ask several times for the check once they finished eating.

During the time they were waiting for their entrees, a manager stopped by the table and asked how things were. My parents were truthful, and he stated that he would see what he could do to make sure the rest of the visit went more smoothly. It didn't, and while they were waiting, my mom noticed the manager was at another table, down on his knees, talking to the guests and giving them gift certificates. Not one to make a gimme grab, she still thought maybe he'd at least comp part of the bill. No such luck, and the manager just swung by, said "Have a nice evening" and ran off before any questions could be asked or comments be heard.

After waiting til the next day to calm down a bit, she wrote an email to the restaurant, an email that was proofread and approved by two additional family members, to make sure it wasn't nasty. She hit send, and thought nothing of it.

A few days later, the doorbell rang. My mom went to the front door, only to find that same manager that gave them the brush-off standing on her doorstep with a handful (~$200) worth of gift certificates to the restaurant and a personal apology.

To this day, my mom is still shocked that they went so far, and honestly felt a little bad for the manager, but it still was, by far, the best response we've ever gotten for a legit complaint.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

That's a happy ending, and what a reward for not being sucky!

Are you by any chance talking about the Damon's that was in B.R., LA? I know that one closed down a while back. The owner died. I used to like going there, they had great steak. The games were fun too.
    I HATE stupid people!

Comment

Nope, this was near Chicago, actually. But it was great that they were so awesome about it, since I love the restaurants, when I can find em. The rolls are SO good.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Wow.

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the happy ending.

Happy endings rock.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

That's pretty impressive for him to come to your house. They could have just mailed them a note.

There's a local restuarant near me and the owner is really cheap. They only take cash (probably because he doesn't want to pay the fees to accept credit cards), and only a year or 2 ago put in an ATM in their vestibule (of which I'm sure he gets a cut of the fee). The food's good but kinda pricey for what you get. We were there once and everyone got their food except my dad. We were finished eating before his food came out. The manager came over, apologized all friendly and everything, and offered him 1/2 off a drink from the bar. ??! My dad declined and just asked them to wrap up his food and bring the check and he ate his dinner at home.

My brother was at a Friendly's with his friends once and it took them 45 minutes before they even took their order (they didn't even have drinks yet); I'm not sure they even had menus at that point. It got to the point that they only stayed to see how long it would take cuz they had nothing better to do. I haven't been there in years; their service really went downhill from when I was younger. My mom and I once waited half an hour for 2 banana splits.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            (of which I'm sure he gets a cut of the fee).
            I suspect not, actually. I rather think that the company installing it was telling him that it will bring trade in, and therefore they're doing him a favour by putting it in there.

I'm no expert, but I do know that businesses like to get good deals.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
              I suspect not, actually. I rather think that the company installing it was telling him that it will bring trade in, and therefore they're doing him a favour by putting it in there.

I'm no expert, but I do know that businesses like to get good deals.

Rapscallion
              Maybe, I don't really know how that all works either. They get plenty of trade, though - always have (they've been there forever and the current owner is 2nd or 3rd generation there). I'm surprised he hadn't done it sooner; more than once I've seen people get their bill not realizing that they need cash; one person would usually end up running across the street to the bank.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
              X