This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting on TV

Not sure what category this fits into, so apologies if this is the wrong forum. Even though I don't work retail myself, this still made my blood boil due to my empathy for those that do.

So I am watching CNN and they are doing a story on how lots of stores this year will open at midnight on Black Friday. So even though employees will technically have Thanksgiving off, they will have to pretty much sacrifice the day with their family to get enough sleep to be there serving the over-consuming SCs. One reporter mentioned that a lot of employees are upset over this as it is yet another holiday that they are losing out on and the other anchor lady chuckled all snooty like and said "they should just be thankful they have jobs."

I hate people.

Wow. That's a horrible thing to say

Is Black Friday really that impressive that stores need to open so early?

I'm Canadian and our equivalent is Boxing Day (Dec 26, though often now the sales last the whole week) and most stores open at 1pm. Granted, there are employees that work before that 1 pm time to set up the sales (I usually come in at 10 or 11, but we're a small store). I hope we don't get the to the point where the majority opens so early. I even think 6 am sales are early! lol

Comment

Why do people always say that?? If she were made to work the same hours, would she be saying, "I'm just grateful to have a job"?? I think not.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        Why do people always say that?? If she were made to work the same hours, would she be saying, "I'm just grateful to have a job"?? I think not.
        Well, who knows - given how extremely fragile things are at the moment, it may happen that in a few months' time she finds herself at the sharp end of retail, and then she'll know just what it's like.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Not all of those people working those shifts have just one job. My mom has to work from 1am Thanksgiving night till 1pm the next day since our mall, which houses her Macy's, has decided to do this and no one who works there is happy about it. My mom hardly gets enough sleep as it is working two jobs on top of everything else she does, now she doesn't even get a break on her one day off from her full time job. No, she has to spend more than half the day sleeping (if she even can), then wake up in time for dinner and either attempt to sleep some more or find something to do until she starts her 12 hr shift that requires her to be on her feet the whole time with pushy, entitled sucky people with terrible ankles and developing arthritis in her feet (she currently has one in a boot because the pain is so terrible)! Yes, many people should be thankful for having their jobs, but that doesn't mean they can't complain about stuff like this. They have a right to complain when they work long hours for little pay and then don't even get to use their few days off to relax with family. I truly wish I could let my mom stay home and go in for her just so she doesn't have to deal with the asshole people she will most likely have to deal with. Am actually half tempted to meet her there and see if they will let me at least help out a little when they need it, since I'll already be up and not doing shit. I don't care if it's helping stock, keeping people somewhat orderly or at the very least, the one to yell and take the brunt of suckiness when someone crosses a line, that way the store and employees can't be blamed for it and they still get the satisfaction of seeing a sc get pwned.
          Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

My dog Bella enjoys the holidays, she's a certified service dog.. She keeps me calm while I shop. I'm more likely to take her shopping with me during the holidays.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

On the one hand, many news anchors also work holidays; on the other hand, it sounds like she's unlikely to be the one doing it this (or any other) year...
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Tithera View Post
                Not all of those people working those shifts have just one job.
                I've got two retail jobs and would like a third if I only get twenty hours a week from the two I have. :P We don't exactly have Black Friday in Canada the way you do in the US, because we had Thanksgiving a month ago and there's no convenient marker, but it's going to get busy soon anyways. If I can get double pay or something for working holidays, hell yes I'll do it. I requested Christmas Eve because I'm not going out of town for the holidays this year. We'll see what happens...

Comment

"I suppose you'll want the whole day, then?" said Scrooge.

"It's only one day a year, sir," replied Bob Cratchett.

Ugh.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Spoken like a reporter talking head who knows that anyone can sit second chair on TV.

Comment

I just realized that one of my best friends, who worked in retail, has been out long enough that I can see that she doesn't get what the problem is with stores being open on holidays.

I had posted this elsewhere:
                      "I just heard a commercial on the radio for Albertson's saying, 'For your convenience, we'll be open until 6pm Thanksgiving.' No, it's rewarding people for their poor planning and corporate sees an opportunity to make a buck, the employees be damned."

Her response was:
                      "Those people working on Thanksgiving will be paid well. Unlike other places, most grocery stores are unionized so the employees are treated better. They will probably make double time and I'm sure they will have volunteers just for that reason. They are not Hastings or Dillard's (places we've both worked in the past)."

Whether they're paid well or not is beside the point I was making and she didn't get it, which is sad.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I always make it a point to thank people for working on holidays, and remember, it's not always poor planning more more often than not something went bad at the last minute, maybe there was a spill, the oven imploded, etc.
                        Having been the worker on a holiday, it's a pretty mellow day

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          Somebody needs to remark in her hearing that it's easy for her to say when all she has to do is sit in front of a camera and read cue cards ... for a sum of money that far outstrips the effort she actually has to put forward.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                            Somebody needs to remark in her hearing that it's easy for her to say when all she has to do is sit in front of a camera and read cue cards ... for a sum of money that far outstrips the effort she actually has to put forward.
                            QFT

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                              Maybe someone did and it got left out in editing.
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X