This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    Unlike other places, most grocery stores are unionized so the employees are treated better. They will probably make double time and I'm sure they will have volunteers just for that reason.
    ...Unionized? I knew I was living in the wrong part of the country. If grocery (or restaurant, or....) workers here tried to unionize, they'd all be fired and replaced the same damn day >_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My store is also opening at midnight. I start work at 2330 on thanksgiving night and end at 1130 in the morning.

Am I upset about working for a holiday?... honestly I don't know. I like getting paid and I like not having to drive in more (longer shifts and less days = using less gas). And to be honest after being in the military working a 12 hour shift or even working on a holiday isn't something I'm unfamiliar with.

I'm just not looking forward to ... having to quickly change my sleep schedule. I mean I can do it but the first night is always the worst. And the parking. I'm not sure if my BF is going to drive me to work or not.

The one thing I may miss the most is... using the day to decorate the apartment. I traditionally spend the day decorating, putting up trees etc.

now that's one thing I think I may miss. After I got out of the Navy I would help Mom & Dad put up the tree (until they gave it to me) and then I'd go and help sis too. I'm going to miss seeing the snow n stuff like that. *sigh*

but that's related to my latitude and not whether or not i work on thanksgiving night

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        ...Unionized? I knew I was living in the wrong part of the country. If grocery (or restaurant, or....) workers here tried to unionize, they'd all be fired and replaced the same damn day >_>
        Some are, some aren't. She doesn't seem to know that. One of my exes worked at a grocery store that was and he didn't get treated "better"....whatever that means.

I've worked for K-Mart and Wally World and we had specific instructions on what to do if approached by anyone wanting to try to unionize us.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I've been doing Black Friday shopping for a few years now and even I hate the earlier and earlier openings. I'd rather the stores opened at their normal times on Friday.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Not all grocery stores are unionized. My brother worked for one that was, and another one that wasn't. Not much difference in their operations because the union they had was pretty wimpy. I don't believe he got double time for working holidays.

And the money it not always the point. Thanksgiving is supposed to be a family day. Granted, not everyone has a family, or one they want to spend time with, but probably most people do. If they have to be at work at midnight that day, they don't get a holiday at all, and since retail doesn't pay that well anyway, I wonder if it's really worth it to lose your family holiday and spend the next day catering to rude, pushy morons who stampeded their way into the store as soon as it opened.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My husband works at the movie theater and they are NEVER closed and he has worked every single holiday.

There are people out there that always work on the holidays and while it sucks for people in retail there are also people out there who have done it long before this year.

Comment

Working...
              X