This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met Ed Problems Part 4

Remember this post? The one where we got another shut off notice a month after they supposedly fixed everything after they accidentally shut-off our power for non payment?

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=82125

Today ANOTHER notice was delivered. That's it, we're switching to PPL!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

What a bunch of maroons.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I'd write a good, solid complaint letter to the state regulatory board. One customer's complaint isn't much to a company, but a complaint forwarded by the board that decides if you can operate in the entire state is a different matter.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Did you see the article in the Pocono Record yesterday 12/3? as I assume you live in PA because both Met-Ed and PPL are both familiar terms to me.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/112030328

I'm glad I have PPL
        Last edited by JarethsPet; 12-05-2011, 12:28 AM. Reason: cuz I can

Comment

I didn't realize that one could have a choice in electric supplier. In my area, we have one provider.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Ok, got ANOTHER one this month.

PPL, here we come!!!

PS. Thanks for the article!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              I didn't realize that one could have a choice in electric supplier. In my area, we have one provider.
              Same here. The entire state is set up as a "Legalized monopoly" matrix. Where you live determines whom you pay for power. Period. It used to be that way with Cable TV, as well; the major player here (cox) did everything they could to keep Satellite, and later, digital competitors out of the market because, iirc, in the words "Competition for the cable dollar is bad for the consumer". Thus sayeth a company that was charging $35/mo for what we now call Bottom-of-the-barrel cable (local channels plus a handful more)...in the 1970's.

The MetEd thing sounds like how the water bills work here -- they physically show up at any given house as infrequently as twice a year in some cases. The others are all estimated, so you can wind up with (bimonthly) bills that look like $45 -- $45 -- $65 -- $45 -- $45 -- $45 -- $30, etc....
              Last edited by EricKei; 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                The entire state is set up as a "Legalized monopoly" matrix.
                These used to referred to as Public Utilities. This included, and in many areas still do, services like electric, gas, water, sewer, cable, and telephone. Ever since Ma Bell was broken up by the FTC back in the 80s, there have been many movements to breakup other public utilities in the name of giving the customer choices and make it cheaper. I think in reality it makes things more expensive, but that is a topic for Fratching. However, there are time I miss Ma Bell.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Thing is... even if you switch to another provider... can they still shut you off?

I ask because I remember reading a story here where someone had just set up shop in a new location. The previous owners hadn't paid their bill so the company sent someone over to shut off the power.

And they still tried turning off the power. Even though the location had new owners who utilized another company for power.

I would recommend switching as you planned but also notifying the local utilities commission about the problems. And asking what you should do if the old company tries to pull any more crap. Or maybe call the police if the old company comes on your property after you drop them.

Comment

IA - Aye, but in this case, I'm referring specifically to private companies granted the right to hold the monopolies, and set up such that competition is actually prevented (even if the provider is NOT a government agency) -- especially with power. e.g. If you live in the New Orleans area, you pay Entergy for power. If you live in Norco, you pay Norco Electric. If you live one parish over, you pay Atmos electric. Etc.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      IA - Aye, but in this case, I'm referring specifically to private companies granted the right to hold the monopolies, and set up such that competition is actually prevented (even if the provider is NOT a government agency) -- especially with power. e.g. If you live in the New Orleans area, you pay Entergy for power. If you live in Norco, you pay Norco Electric. If you live one parish over, you pay Atmos electric. Etc.
                      Any many public utilities are set up that way. A private company provides the service. A public utility commission regulates the service.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Point taken. I just wish the Commish/state would do some real regulating here. x.x Ya see, Entergy is allowed to raise their rates here by 10% a year without getting permission/commish signoff. They only need to ask if they want a higher rate hike. The last time they asked (afaik), a few years ago, they were turned down. Thus, instead, Entergy simply added a new fee to the bills, a "fuel surcharge", ranging anywhere from an extra 40~120% of the actual energy usage on the bill (it seems to be random; I've had the fee listed as anywhere from +$50 to +130 in consecutive months with nearly identical power usage/fees charged). They effectively got their rate hike anyway >_< No wonder they're not well liked. I understand they're not too popular in England, either, due to some shenanigans a few years back.

Yeah, I know I'm ranting, it's just that I'm accustomed to public works being...less than adequate here, especially when the politicians interfere with it (case in point -- levee inspections prior to Katrina were done as "politicians go out for an extended martini lunch and dinner session with a couple of Army Corps guys in tow; they walk up and down a levee for five minutes at each inspection point, anything less than a leaky breach is ignored...despite what certain unnamed sources might say, it wasn't ALL the Army Corps fault. Our "leadership" (local and state) dropped the ball mid-storm, too)
                        Last edited by EricKei; 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM.

Comment

They call them P & L companies for a reason...

P & L does not stand for Power & Light anymore...

It's Plunder & Loot now.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

^_^ It was strange because when I first noticed this post, THAT day was an article about them.

Welcome!! ^^

Comment

Working...
                            X