This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
    The one thing we can never figure out is how he got through that window... there was no car parked outside, and he's never shown himself as much of a jumper since.
    Read "Space Time for Springers" by Fritz Leiber.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Our dog is terrified of sticks - or was. Which was a problem, because I have to use a walking stick a lot of the time.

But enough time, patience, and her discovering that I never used my stick on HER has caused her to calm down. She now gets excited when I take the stick down because we're probably going for a WALK!!!!!111eleventy!

But she still won't come close to the stick. She'll ask for attention on the other side of me, or she'll tell me how excited she is to be going for a walk - but from a distance.

Clearly, someone's swatted her with a stick often enough for her to be frightened of them.

She's a darling of a dog! All she wants is for her Pack to be HAPPY! And she's intelligent - a lot of her best behaviours, she learned by herself, just by watching our reactions!
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My mother adopted a dog when I was in 3rd grade. She was a rescue dog. When we got her she was clay red (we lived in East Tennessee which is notorious for its red clay mud) and my mother named her Ginger Snap. After a few baths we found out she had white on her paws, muzzle, belly and tail and she was mostly a beautiful golden color.
        She had most definitely been abused (the people taking care of her before us found her but didn't have room with the dogs they already had). She was also scared of sticks. Or anything raised up like a broom or even your hand.
        In June of this year she died in my parents home surrounded by three humans that lived her and my dad's new dog.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Grrr. Two more dogs got dumped this week. One was a chocolate lab. The other was some kind of chihuahua thing. It had a chihuahua face and ears, but was about half to three-quarters the size of my beagle. Both very friendly and the lab at least seemed to know "sit". Hope they make it.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            I went out to investigate and sure enough there was a scared little dachshund that hadn't been there when I came in around 6:30. Someone dumped a dog. And it's getting close to freezing outside.
            Some piece of shit (and I'm being nice) did a similar stunt to my grandmother a few years back. Middle of winter, she said that a "strange cat was stealing Kitty's food." We didn't think much about it, since other cats did show up at times. This one though, was different. She wasn't as skittish, and seemed to want me to pet her. Sadly, she wasn't the only strange cat on the farm...

As I was unloading my car, on a *very* cold night, I found a box next to my workshop. Anyone want to guess what was in there? 6 tiny, shivering kittens They'd been dropped off earlier in the day, and left to fend for themselves. Good thing I found them, and was able to put all 7 kitties in the garage for the night. Otherwise, with the 3 inches of snow on the ground, and sub-zero temps in the forecast, they would have frozen to death

We ended up giving all of them away. I couldn't take them, and it didn't seem fair to my grandmother, for her to keep them. She had one cat, and he was enough. All 7 kitties went to the shelter, and were adopted quickly.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I got my Zootsie at the pound after she had a litter. All her kittens were adopted so we took her. She was terrified of everyone and lived in the closet for the first two weeks. We kept telling her we'd accept her however she was and to just come out of the closet! LOL...
              She also couldn't stand men at all and would run from Hubby whenever he came in the room. We figure she was hit by a man a lot.
              Lots of patience and loving and three years later, she loves my husband and is a complete love sponge. She's still pretty shy, but around us she's out and proud!

Comment

Having just met a friend's fat little Doxie for the first time tonight, this makes me so sad. All I can see is her dog pawing at me leg, demanding pets, and then waddling to me again to knock the cat over when I tried to pet it, because she didn't think I'd loved her enough, yet.

My Dobby was almost a 'throw away' dog. My coworker in the pharmacy is known to temporarily house homeless or unwanted animals because she and her husband have a hard time saying no. A friend of hers called her up and said something along the lines of "Hey, we have five dogs and we're on the way to the pound, did you want any of them. One is really small."

At first they said no, then she convinced her husband to at least go and save the little one. Their friends even asked him if they could just "Get him out of the drop box at the pound" which was promptly answered with a disgusted "NO! Then we'll have to stare at all the other ones you're dumping, too." They got puppy home and she almost immediately called me to ask if I wanted him, and if so, to please come get him before she got too attached She already has six dogs, you see. I took him home the next day and was worried at first, because I carried him in the house, in a crate, and he exploded. Growling, snapping, refusing to come out. I think he'd just finally had enough of being flopped from home to home, and after a day and night snuggled up with Coworker and her husband, thought he was going to live with them. After a good night's sleep, however, he warmed right up to the rest of the family, human and canine alike. He was easy to train, considering he's got a good amount of Chi in him, and spends most of his time curled up in Mom's lap while I'm at work. Poor Mom, she usually has all three inside dogs on her lap most of the time! I can't imagine how anyone could just dump him Although I'm sure with him being small, and at the time, still a puppy, he would have been adopted quickly. Buuuut, I've been wanting a small dog for a while now and I couldn't take the chance of him going to the wrong home

Since then, Coworker's pit bull found a stray, teeny, tiny kitten under their house and she had every intention of 'rehoming' that one, too. Yeah, it's been like three months. I don't think kitty is going anywhere, hehe!
                Last edited by ShinyGreenApple; 12-17-2011, 06:16 AM.
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I have to stop reading these threads! I can't have pets but now I kind of want a dog. *note to self: stay off pet threads!*
                  "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                    JarethsPet, that made me well up.
                    Its amazing how much he's changed since I adopted him. My mother comes over ever Wednesday and his usual tactic is to lay UNDER an object near her. Last week he got up on the daybed which is near my computer chair(that she was sitting in) and laid down as close on the bed as he could get. For the first time he was comfortable enough to not be on the ground(where he could run away if he wanted)

Comment

Sonofabitch! One of the girls in electronics just posted a picture on FB of the cutest fuzzy white puppy with brown markings. He's sitting in one of the electric carts at work and the picture is captioned "Lost puppy. He can be yours. Someone please take him!" etc. Apparently some heartless prick saw fit to dump a puppy in the Volde-Mart parking lot at Christmas. Man, if we didn't already have five dogs . . . he looks so sad and scared.

I hate people Hopefully a kind hearted associate, manager, or customer will take him home.
                      The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Working...
                      X