This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't be that ADD? Can you?

I wasn't going to do this (two threads in one night) but I'm stuck at work by my lonesome and had an "incident" at lunch I wanted to share. Again, I feel that I remained very anti-suck, but I was angry, nonetheless.

Story time.

It is incredibly disgusting outside (sleety snow-rain) here, but I decided to be a big girl and go (on my half hour dinner break) to the Subway across the street, instead of making some poor delivery guy bring me food in the nasty weather. I got there, a little grouchy given that I had to wade from my car to the door, and popped inside. Wiped my feet real well on the mat, as the one employee was mopping at the time. I waited at the counter a few minutes while he finished mopping, and finally came around to the counter. This honestly wouldn't bother me much on its own, I know how it is to have to stop in the middle of a task at work.

He gets up there, makes a big production of washing his hands and putting on gloves, then finally, as 3 men he's obviously friendly with (given the way he greets and is talking to them in their native language) walk into the store, starts to get bread out for my sandwich. I start giving him my order, so far, so good. But then, as he gets to the condiments, he starts conversing with one of the guys, and ignores what I ask for (oil & vinegar and spices). He puts mayo on the sandwich (which I abhor) ignoring me as I try to stop him. After he dumps on the mayo, he reaches for the mustard, and finally notices that I'm asking him to stop. He laughs, and just wipes off most of the mayo with a couple cucumber slices, and continues with the sandwich. He rings me up, I pay with exact change, and head on my merry way, back to work.

The whole thing took 14 minutes (I know this because of the timer on my car's remote start, since I had the car running in the lot while I was in getting my food) and I had about 5 minutes left when I got back to work to eat my food. It's one of those incidents that I know seemed way worse than it was, given that I'm exhausted and grouchy, but still. Is it that hard to pay attention to a customer for what should be 5 minutes or less to make a sandwich? I waited 3 minutes or so for you to finish mopping, your buddies can wait that long to chat with you. /end rant
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

That happened to me before, at Subway also. They put pickles on it, and I hate pickles, they make me wanna gag, unless, I do not know that they are on there, but I can eat the sweet ones . Anyway, I tried telling the guy to stop, and he just keep talking to his buddies. I saw a manager, and told him, everything. He chewed out him, because apparently, it happened a few times before.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I don't mind secandary coversations as long as they get turned off to pay attention to the primary.

Getting the sandwich right is one. The reverse side is a customer on the phone while queing, when they're up to pay stop talking the the couple of minutes to pay attention to the cashier, then carry on convo is also fine, in my opinion.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

I'd have told him to start over. I hate hate hate mayo. And scraping it off the bread with a cucumber slice is just not enough.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That is extremely half assed.......but can you imagine what that half wit would have done if you told him to start over?

He probably would have just shoved the sub over the edge onto the floor (there has to be something behind the counter because stuff always falls on the floor on that end and employees don't usually rush to clean up).

Then he would have started your new sandwhich even more half assed just to make you leave. What a douche.

It's just like the thread about the employes at McDonalds.....JUST LISTEN FOR GODS SAKES! How hard can it be to listen and register what someone says?
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

The reverse side is a customer on the phone while queing
            This, rvdammit, was something I forgot to mention above. When I was walking up to the store, I got a call on my cell, but I told my friend I was about to walk into Subway, and cut the call short to be polite. I think that was another reason I was so annoyed.

In this case, it kind of is "the principle" of the thing. I don't want money or freebies, I just want the employee to do his job.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              I'd have told him to start over. I hate hate hate mayo. And scraping it off the bread with a cucumber slice is just not enough.
              Same here. I hate Mayo with a passion. Its one of the reason I avoid Wendys, since half the time they put mayo on even when I say no mayo.

I too would have told him to start over, it may have ended up being half assed, but at least it would not have any hint of that disgusting white goop on it.
              If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
              www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

I saw a cashier do something like that once. There was a customer in front of me, and she was trying to BS with her friends and ring up groceries at the same time. Unfortunately, she couldn't concentrate on both, and was extremely slow in ringing everything up. Then she forgot to ring up the coupons, and the customer didn't notice either. After the customer left, she noticed the stack of coupons, and asked if they were mine. I told her they weren't, and she just shrugged and put the coupons off to the side.

Once she was ringing up my stuff, the whole thing repeated, with her going at a snail's pace and BSing with her friends. She would have forgotten my coupons as well, if I hadn't mentioned them at the end.

I probably should have complained to a manager, but I hate shopping, and by the time I'm done, I just want to get the hell out of there.

Not surpsingly, I never saw that cashier again. I guess someone else complained even though I didn't.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Multitasking is not for everyone. I could never get that through the head of this one girl I supervised at the coffee shop. She was a good employee - but she could literally do only ONE thing at a time. So I had to forbid her from chatting, which I hated doing, but it was the only way she was gonna keep her job.
                  She hated me for it: "But everyone ELSE can talk while they work, why can't I?"
                  You tell me....

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                    Multitasking is not for everyone.
                    Yep. Ever see some people try to walk in a straight line while talking on their cell phone?
                    If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
                    www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Luckily for the Subway guy, you aren't allergic to eggs, etc.

I hate mayo more then anything. It's gotten to the point where sometimes I wish I was allergic, just so I could have a reason to bitch when they don't listen to the "please, no mayo" with my orders.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

For the first 5 years of my marriage, I thought my wife was allergic to mushrooms as whenever we went out she would request food without mushrooms and state that she was allergic. It wasn't until we went out with her parents that I learned the truth. She just doesn't like mushrooms and had many times requested her food not have mushrooms only to have the food arrive with mushrooms. So, she figured it was servers not paying attention or cooks not caring. She added the allergic statement because she figured that everyone would pay attention if they thought carelessness would result in a lawsuit. She was never rude about it.

PS She eats mushrooms now, took me YEARS to get her to do it.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          Get outta my head!

After being ignored the first few times I tried to get the guy to stop it would been:

"Um... NO. NO Mayo. New bread..."

*Mulligan*
                          I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                          "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Working...
                          X