This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball tip jars

The concept of a tip jar seems to have spread to the strangest places. It makes sense to me in an espresso shop, or deli, or any place where something is prepared expressly for you.

But a bookstore? My wife and I browsed in an independent book store where the only employee was a guy who sat behind the register reading a book. He never spoke to us unless we spoke to him. We asked a couple of questions and he basically grunted or pointed.

In front of him on the counter was a tip jar, which I found quite amusing given the level of "service".

Anybody seen tip jars in businesses where you don't traditionally tip?
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Kinda-Sorta

Around here places like Subway, Quiznos, and Pizza Hut (togo side) don't have tip jars as the workers get paid minimum wage or above.

But when I lived out west all these places had a tip jar...it was a tourist town, so that may have been the reason, but the funny thing is the workers there all got paid a really good hourly wage, since its a tourist town they have a hard time getting help, they advertise at $11-$12/hour (here they get $7.50).

I always fought the inner battle of to tip or not, since nowhere else had I seen a tip jar at the above businesses.

Starbucks here has a Tip cup at the drive through which I find a little odd.
    If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
    www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
      Starbucks here has a Tip cup at the drive through which I find a little odd.
      See, the whole Starbucks tip thing I am conflicted about, cuz I know that they get paid above minimum wage and are not dependent on tips like the traditional food server system. But the jar is there so it makes you feel like you "should." But then usually what I get is 2.84 so I feel cheap giving them my 16 cents change, but I don't really want to give a whole dollar either. I don't go there too often, though. I should get a gift card and then I won't have to worry since I won't have cash.

BN cafe does not have a tip jar, though I don't believe they expressly forbid employees from accepting tips (they just aren't allowed to have a jar). But since there is no jar, very few people tip.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        See, the whole Starbucks tip thing I am conflicted about, cuz I know that they get paid above minimum wage and are not dependent on tips like the traditional food server system.
        Which is closer to the way tips should work. Your server should only get a tip if you think they've provided some form of service beyond the basic.
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

In college, I had a number of friends who worked at 7-11. They often had tip jars on the counter, especially for the poor guys and gals working the night shifts and dealing with the usual college drunks and druggies. The general rule was the funnier the better, and I used to help my roommate with his signs when I'd hang out in the store with him for part of his shift, in exchange for free Slurpees and such. One of the guys used to have a little animatronic hula dancer that would sing and hula when someone came up to the counter in front of his tip jar.

Generally speaking, I tip some change or a dollar max at Starbucks/Caribou/coffee shops. Unless the service was amazing, I don't think it's necessary, given that what I bought cost $3 or less, and the barista that made it for me will only get a fraction of the $$ when they split the tip jar.

I generally don't feel like tipping is necessary unless someone goes above and beyond, or is bringing me my food/drink either via waitressing or delivery.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

But then usually what I get is 2.84 so I feel cheap giving them my 16 cents change, but I don't really want to give a whole dollar either.
            At my coffee place, we were allowed a tip cup, but it had to be off to the side so people weren't obligated. We still did pretty decent. A large coffee cost 1.48. Can't tell you how often we literally got someone's

If it's a busy place, then a few pennies here and there adds up though.
            "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
            - Raven

Comment

Quoth Writer Cath View Post
              At my coffee place, we were allowed a tip cup, but it had to be off to the side so people weren't obligated. We still did pretty decent. A large coffee cost 1.48. Can't tell you how often we literally got someone's

If it's a busy place, then a few pennies here and there adds up though.
              I made about $4 one day in tips when I worked at Tim Horton's.

Comment

For some odd reason, the CD store I worked at in college had a tip jar, and I think in all my time there I saw maybe three people actually use it.

Although, if I may pat myself on the back, all 3 did so after I changed the label on said jar (out went "Feed the Kitty", in went "Tips for Public Discourse" OK, it's not exactly great prose, but I thought it was clever )

Comment

I am convinced that I will now put a tip jar on my desk. Despite the fact that I am paid a lot over minimum wage and work in an office for a construction company. I should be tipped when I do good work. Despite it being my job.

Comment

Quoth I8DaCookie View Post
                    Coldstones (best icecream ever!!!) typically have a tip jar. But the difference between them and other places that have tip jars is that when you put in a tip they sing. So really, it's like you're paying them to sing a song, though the songs are about 15 seconds long and about getting a tip. I was in there one day and practically everyone put in a tip and they were singing non-stop for a good 10 min.
                    They never sang when I went there!!
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

In Ontario, servers get minimum wage too. If I'm ordering food that I'm going to carry out myself, I generally don't put anything in the tip jar. If I'm going to sit in the establishment with whatever I ordered, I'll put something in the jar -- even if I bus my own table, they still might want to wipe it down when I'm gone. Not that I make a mess or anything, but there's always a chance of crumbs or a coffee-cup ring.

There is a lower minimum wage for liquor servers specifically, and it's a dollar less than general minimum wage, so I always tip in bars.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...s/fs_wage.html

I can't remember ever seeing a tip jar in a really odd place like a bookstore.

Comment

They never sang when I went there!!
                        You're not really missing too much. Most of them end with some sort of "Thanks for the tip" like you're supposed to do so. Makes you feel obligated.
                        I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                        "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
                          Around here places like Subway, Quiznos, and Pizza Hut (togo side) don't have tip jars as the workers get paid minimum wage or above.

The Subway I somewhat frequent has a tip jar/cup. I've tipped a few times. The last time I tipped $3 because the guy who works there was nice and gave me a 50% discount. (I've told him about this site. I'm still waiting for him to show up.) He's a sweetheart.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We got a tip jar at our burger joint. We get paid substantial hourly wages, so tipping is unnecessary, (only half the customers do tip, about ten per cent on each order, and I still make out like a bandit.) We make on average equal to two hour's wages in tips each night.

I have indeed seen tip jars at book stores, seems unnecessary, but I'm not about to complain about the mere presense of a tip jar.
                            You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Mmm - I might just leave one on the reception desk and see how long it lasts, now you've started this thread...

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X