Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rude, unsocialized, or just a straight up asshole?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude, unsocialized, or just a straight up asshole?

So I go into a Rite Aid this morning and as I'm walking in the cashier yells out "Good morning, welcome to Rite Aid!" Which is all well and good, I guess, except he rudely cut off and interrupted the elderly lady, who he was waiting on while she was talking to him, to do it.

I think it kind of defeats the purpose of the greeting policy if clerks are being straight up rude to customers who are actually handing them money.

So I ignore him (because I'm not colluding with that sort of rudeness aimed at somebody's grandma) and go about my business and when I get up to the register, I put my stuff onto the counter. He says how are you? and I say fine thanks, and I then open up my shopping bag (I carry my own) and put it on the counter and I say "Here, I have my o..."

And of course he cuts me off and says "do you have a Rewards Card?"

So I just pause and say "Here, I have my own bag."

And he says "Do you have a Rewards Card?"

And I say no and he proceeds to ring me up and put my shit into a plastic bag.

You know, plenty of times, clerks get in a hurry and just go on autopilot and put my stuff into plastic bags. I don't care. I don't get upset and I don't make them rebag. They're in a hurry, and it's not that big a deal.

However, at eight o'clock in the morning, with me the only person in the store, and after this little exchange, I very pointedly took my shit out of the plastic bag and put it into mine in front of him.

Bet this guy is popular. I don't need my ass kissed, but come on.

Probably a bit of all three...he actually sounds very immature to me.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Burnt. You should've told him to come here...

Comment

Probably so!

Comment

I think I might have feigned concern and suggested that he get a hearing check.

Seeing as he seems to be having a problem listening. >_<

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It sounds like that cashier is in robot mode. I am required to greet customers too. Take care of the person in front of you first or at least say excuse me first.

It is easy to get on autopilot with bagging things. However you specifically told him you had your own bags so that was rude. He should have waited and asked about the rewards card as he was ringing.

Comment

To play Devil's Advocate.

1. We are required to greet all customers like that the moment they walk through the door, cutting people who are handing money to us be damned.

2. We are also required to ask about the "Healthiness +" card. That said, to cut you off without so much as an "excuse me" smacks of either him being rude or him being new.
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                To play Devil's Advocate.

1. We are required to greet all customers like that the moment they walk through the door, cutting people who are handing money to us be damned.
                Not the ones I shop at. I was there today. Nobody greets me when I walk in. I don't really care, I figure they're busy with people who were already in the store. Maybe it's a regional thing?
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I know some stores where they have to stop what they're doing and greet me. I'd rather they not inconvenience other customers to do so, but of course that's not the greeter's fault. If it were me that was inconvenienced (though it would have to be pretty bad, I'm fairly mellow), I'd complain to corporate about their policies and would NOT tell them which store I went to.
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X