This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input as to who might be sucky here?

Okay guys, please tell me if I'm being sucky or if the manager is.

The husband and I are in an AMC theater waiting for The Muppets to start. I discovered I had a coupon for a free drink (got it with a free pass from my coke points), but that it had expired at the end of March of this year. I know from past experience that expired coupons can be traded in for new ones.

When I approached the manager, his attitude was like I was trying to pass one over on him. If he'd said no, that would have been fine. But he huffed and sighed and said "well, I guess I can make an exception *this time*" with the unspoken "but dont do it again" look.

I'm at a loss right now. I want to call corporate to get claification on their coupons, but I don't want to seem like I'm looking for a freebie grab. I get free passes with the coke points and they all come with the drink coupons now.

Input please?

*note: typed on my cell. Sorry for the poor grammar.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Unfortunately, there are so many people who do try to grab freebies, that a lot of management types treat everyone as people trying to grab freebies. I'd say you were not sucky for asking (if you threw a fit if told no, then that'd definitely be sucky, but you didn't do that.) The manager most likely has given up on there still being non-freebie-grabbing people in the world.

Comment

It's an ongoing battle with customers who want to use freebie coupons at varous places. sounds like you asked nicely, he was using an improper technique to "train" you.
      I try to train my customer all the time, but I like to think I'm a bit more subtle than that....

Comment

Yeah, it just made me feel like he was trying to go out of his way to make a huge deal over something he could have discreetly taken care of. Just the way he leaned over the counter and told the cashier about the fact that the coupon was expired made me feel..well..somewhat unwelcome.

I admit we haven't been hitting the theaters like we used to as we're trying to make every penny count, much like the rest of the country. I just feel it really could have been handled a lot differently.
        Random conversation:

Comment

I think the manager was the sucky one because of his attitude. I can understand the unwritten "we'll take an expired coupon but only if they ask and we'll tell them it's a one-time courtesy" thing, but if the customer is not being sucky there's no reason to make them feel guilty for trying.
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I agree you were not being sucky. There's nothing wrong with asking the question politely, especially if the company is known for swapping expired coupons for new ones.

The manager was mildly sucky because he tried to make you feel like a jerk; it was probably his frustration at dealing with the real EW's that it just leached out onto you.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Thanks. It was funny when I was talking to the husband during the commercials. What should I do? Then I came upon the "Hey! ask the SC crew!"

I think I am going to call Monday and find out what their policy is. The last time I had a coupon expire was earlier this year and there weren't any hassles in getting it exchanged.
              Random conversation:

Comment

I figured this deserved an update:

I did call corporate and put my complaint in, as well as requested if it was possible to get what their coupon policy was, specifically for their coupons if they're expired.

I didn't hear anything for well over a week and reached out to them via their online community to see if someone could help. It turns out it was sent to the wrong theater. I was assured it would be sent to the correct one and that was the end of that.

Tonight I received an e-mail from the General Manager, who as it turns out, was the same person I interacted with. In short, I was right (it kinda sounds like I'm gloating, but believe me, I'm not). The coupon should have been exchanged with no hassle. I'm being offered a coupon if I respond with my mailing address.
                Random conversation:

Comment

Working...
                X