Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEFORE I had $MiniMe I was bound & determined if I had a girl, no WAY was I gonna dress her in pinks & dresses *shakes fist at social conventions* ... After several dozen comments about "what a sweet little boy" because she was in neutral colours - even if she was wearing an obviously girly headband - that wore off pretty quick
    Guess things haven't changed much; she's still interchangeably DEFINITELY a Little Miss and DEFINITELY a tomboy
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
      Mother's intuition?
      Possibly... although when my mother was expecting me, she thought I was going to be another boy because everything was the same as it had been for when she carried my brother. Mum and dad had even decided I was going to be called Daniel. Then when I made my appearance, the midwife said 'Well that's no Daniel, thats for certain'.

And regarding the thing about colours for boys and girls, when I was having my second scan, the doctor attending was wearing Muslim attire and she said that they don't have this pink=girls, blue=boys thing, as far as they're concerned it's any bright colours for all babies.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I'm not sure how it works any where else, but I know in Texas they've changed how WIC is done since the first time I worked at a grocery store. It used to be this thing the cashiers had to fill out by hand and involved all kinds of time and making sure you had the right stuff. So when I started working at my store over the summer I was kind of thrown off when I got my first WIC customer. Before, it was a big ordeal and each WIC card had to be rung up separately and stuff, but now it's all done electronically. Everything that they're allowed to buy on WIC is stored on a card that looks like a foodstamp card, but has a little gold tag on it and you can ring up everything they have together, even stuff that's not on WIC and the customer sticks the card into the slot at the top of the credit card machine and it takes off all the WIC stuff. Makes it much easier. The register even prints out a receipt to show what has been taken on the WIC and the customer can look it over before confirming it at the pinpad and then on the final receipt shows what they have left.

BTW early congrats on the new addition.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
          And regarding the thing about colours for boys and girls, when I was having my second scan, the doctor attending was wearing Muslim attire and she said that they don't have this pink=girls, blue=boys thing, as far as they're concerned it's any bright colours for all babies.
          It's largely an American Judeo-Xtian thing, from what I've gathered. The streak of Puritanism is just so hardwired people have to get pigeonholed practically at the moment of birth. Even just dressing a baby in neutral colors gets criticism. I want to ask such people why do they care so much about a total stranger's child's gender? Isn't that just a little...creepy, this obsession with "boy or girl"?

There's a couple, I think they live in Canada, but they decided not to reveal their child's gender for the indefinite time being because they want to help him/her break the stereotypical social molds. (And the child's hairstyle and clothing are deliberately chosen to be androgynous so one can't tell just from sight) People are FLIPPING their shit out over this like you wouldn't believe!
          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth Amethyst Hunter View Post
            There's a couple, I think they live in Canada, but they decided not to reveal their child's gender for the indefinite time being because they want to help him/her break the stereotypical social molds. (And the child's hairstyle and clothing are deliberately chosen to be androgynous so one can't tell just from sight) People are FLIPPING their shit out over this like you wouldn't believe!
            I think I've heard about that. I honestly think it's a great idea. Makes me wonder what it's name is. Must be something very gender neutral. I do have to say I'm glad I have the parents I do. My sister and I are only 21 months apart and in our late 20s. She's much more girly than I am and I like to play video games while she likes to knit. She wears make up much more than I do and whenever we go out, I always have her help me with my make up because when I do wear make up it's very minimal. I personally am for breaking the stereotypical gender roles. I say just do what makes you happy and who cares who's offended.

Comment

Can't remember where I read this, but in Regency times, boys were dressed in pink (reason being men were of a "hot ruddy nature" while girls were dressed in calming, soothing blues because girls were supposed to be calming and soothing.

When I have kids, s/he is going to have a purple nursery with fairies everywhere. Don't care if my oarents are going to flip their lid because "omg your boy will grow up to be gay!!!". He will not care. Same with my daughter, she will not care if her room is decorated in fairies or monster trucks.
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

im too impatient to wait so i like knowing things before hand

with my daughter there were some issues when i was 6 .5 months pregnant so i had to have an amnio.

the dr asked if i wanted to know and i eagerly said yes. i'd wanted to know from day 1.

the benefit from knowing the babies sex was i was told my baby would probabley not survive birth it gave me a chance to name her early

i dont think i would have been too bothered if i was given the "wrong" colours.

i used cloth nappies when she was a baby and when they started to look a bit grey (after a months full use!!) i ended up buying some dyes and dying them gorgeous colours.

she was the only bub with teal nappies
                it was so pretty :-)

Comment

Quoth georgie View Post
                  i used cloth nappies when she was a baby and when they started to look a bit grey (after a months full use!!) i ended up buying some dyes and dying them gorgeous colours.

she was the only bub with teal nappies
                  it was so pretty :-)
                  What an awesome idea!

With my daughter I thought it would be nice to be surprised as she was my first. My husband already had one of each from his first marriage so he was fine with either gender as well. Since I gave birth at 24 weeks, there was no time for a baby shower and we hadn't really started getting the house ready or buying things, so my little one got what was generously donated to her by the supporters of the NICU babies...including some pretty pink hats. One of my biggest regrets is not asking for the pink and white hat she wore most of the days of her life - they didn't automatically give it to me after she died and I was too numb to think about it. The dress she was put in when she passed was blue with flowers on it, and it looked pretty on her. I still have it. (Wish there was a heart smiley on here.)

It's not likely at this point, but if I should get pregnant again I would choose to find out the gender before birth this time. Not because I plan to do the gender stereotypical kind of things...more because I think it would be exciting to know in advance, and to give me more time to choose a name. Even more than 7 years after my daughter, I still have a LOT more female names picked out than male names...so if I knew I was having a boy I'd have more time to figure it out
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

My Mum was told that I was going to be a girl, then promptly forgot for the rest of the pregnancy. Apparently her reaction to me was, "oh, that's right, I forgot".

Comment

I knew almost from the moment of conception what I was having. Boy the first time, girl the second. I hate surprises, with a passion.

WIC stories always make me laugh, though. Since I've been having so many health problems, my parents have been watching the kids a lot and doing most of my shopping. I walked my mom through using the checks but she just wasn't listening. It's a good thing they went when the store wasn't busy. A 30 minute trip for me turned into 2 hours for them. Those poor cashiers.
                      "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                        Can't remember where I read this, but in Regency times, boys were dressed in pink (reason being men were of a "hot ruddy nature" while girls were dressed in calming, soothing blues because girls were supposed to be calming and soothing.
                        I hear a similar account from the same time periods: Red was considered too strong a color for women to wear. And since pink is just washed out red, it too was too strong for a woman to wear.

Comment

If your baby doesn't get all blue things, how will he know who to date?

Comment

Quoth pltkcelestial18 View Post
                            I think I've heard about that. I honestly think it's a great idea. Makes me wonder what it's name is.
                            http://www.autostraddle.com/canadian...its-sex-90186/

Its named Storm.
                            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I have no patience myself, so I always found out what I was having.

What I can't stand is parents putting one of those headbands with a bow or flower bigger than the babys head on the kid.
                              http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

Working...
                              X