X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm apparently a bad group member.

Why am I a bad group member?
    Because I have a life apparently.
    The leader of the gay straight alliance at UVU sent out an email to all members stating that they wanted people to be more involved and that those who are not going to all activities are not contributing to the group and we shouldn't consider ourselves good members. Now, here's the part that pissed me off, he included "I have a full school schedule and still manage to make it to these events"
    Um, fuck you.
    I think that I speak for all people who have both a full school schedule and work full time when I say, full time school by itself is a cake walk compared to working and going to school. And of course you can make it to all the events, you fucking schedule them.
    At one point he asked me if I could make it to an upcoming event, and I said, no I can't, I have to work, and he replied "oh, well try to ask for time off, we'd love to see you"
    Who the fuck is paying his bills?
    For those of us living in the real world, our options are use up paid vacation (if you are lucky enough to have that) and not be able to actually do a vacation later (I am not sacrificing the ability to visit family so I can go to GSA events) or take unpaid time off and not know how I'm going to pay rent at the end of the month.
    Would it kill him to have events on weekends as well as week nights, so that people who work during the week can go to weekend events, and vice versa? I mean, we know he isn't working, so it's not as if he has conflicts of schedule.
    So, yeah, really not feeling good about being part of the group when I'm going to be criticized for wanting to pay rent at the end of the month.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Perhaps it is time to bring the issue up during a meeting. Suggesting that someone who lives in the real world and has to work for a living do the scheduling instead of 'Mr. Ivory Tower' who doesn't have to work and therefore only plans for his own schedule.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      Perhaps it is time to bring the issue up during a meeting. Suggesting that someone who lives in the real world and has to work for a living do the scheduling instead of 'Mr. Ivory Tower' who doesn't have to work and therefore only plans for his own schedule.
      This right here. There are few things more annoying than an activist with their heads in the clouds and their bills being footed by something other than actually working

Comment

Can you write this stuff down and hit "REPLY ALL" on the email so everyone he sent that to gets your response? That would be pretty epic.

Comment

WTF? When I went to our LGBT club, they didn't do that at all. They were even considering having meetings on two different nights to try and accommodate everyone's schedule. And did like meetings on Wednesday, activities on Friday, so that if someone couldn't make it to one, they could usually make it to the other. Very considerate and accommodating of everyone's schedule as much as they could.

Of course, all the club leaders did work or have other responsibilities and actually understood what a busy schedule means...
          "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
          "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
          Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Ask him if he's going to pay your bills for you. If not... Then the problem is his to rectify, not yours, and not the other members'.
            Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
              This right here. There are few things more annoying than an activist with their heads in the clouds and their bills being footed by something other than actually working
              O that attitude isn't restricted to just activists. Some of the guilds I saw in online gaming weren't much different.

They felt you should plan your life around their raids. The group had to come first in your life or there was something wrong with you. about the only leeway they had was for people deployed or on duty... and even then I think some didn't understand why we couldn't log in, or why we didn't swap duty for the raid to come first.

Whether it's an activist group, gaming group, or social hanging out group... sometimes the group has to pull its head out of its ass and realize they're not the most important thing in the universe.
              Last edited by PepperElf; 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Is there a way to start getting together on days that more people can get to or are only days that "he" wants meetings count.
                "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Well, of course he doesn't plan events on weekends! He's got better things to do then!

I like the idea of asking if he's going to pay your bills and buy your food if you start giving up work time to attend his events. Although to be honest, it doesn't sound as if much short of a direct hit with a sledgehammer would get through to him.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    Would it kill him to have events on weekends as well as week nights, so that people who work during the week can go to weekend events, and vice versa? I mean, we know he isn't working, so it's not as if he has conflicts of schedule.
                    I don't get this. Most of the clubs I was in in college had weekend events. The ones that didn't usually had more than one meeting during the week that allowed most members to fit their regular schedules.

I think it's important to remember more and more college students are working full time while in school, and don't have the flexibility of college students 20 years ago who typically worked 10-20 hours a week if that.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

There's a college society I'm involved with that only has meetings on a Thursday night, but we understand that not everyone can make it every week so we're not all 'rargleblargle you're not a real member unless you're always here' like in the OP.

I second the suggestions already mentioned to deal with this silver-spoon-sucking nutsack
                      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        O that attitude isn't restricted to just activists. Some of the guilds I saw in online gaming weren't much different.

They felt you should plan your life around their raids. The group had to come first in your life or there was something wrong with you. about the only leeway they had was for people deployed or on duty... and even then I think some didn't understand why we couldn't log in, or why we didn't swap duty for the raid to come first.
                        This so very very much! That's one of the reasons I got tired of Final Fantasy XI so easily. I wanted to participate in endgame activities, but none of the groups that I found were compatible with my work schedule. I lost game friends once they joined some of the more active groups. Though the latest 3 mini expansions alleviated some of this.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Is there some sort of association of clubs at UVU, or are they privately run and not funded by the school?
                          Because seriously, that's messed up.

My school's clubs did have rules about required attendance to be a member, but it has nothing to do with being a "Good member"
                          It makes sense.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

Whether it's an activist group, gaming group, or social hanging out group... sometimes the group has to pull its head out of its ass and realize they're not the most important thing in the universe.
                            but then let us remember what website/message board we are on. how many of us have complained about managers who think that our jobs are the most important/should be the ONLY thing in our lives???? and that is not even counting eating, sleeping, restroom breaks, medical/physical conditions, sickness/illness, SCHOOL or family obligations, deaths, births, blood gushings, limbs hanging on by a tendon, etc. Remember a LOT of manager out there do or are forced to eat, sleep, dream, and live THEIR jobs so why shouldn't we do the same????
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth SpaceCore View Post
                              Is there some sort of association of clubs at UVU, or are they privately run and not funded by the school?
                              Because seriously, that's messed up.

My school's clubs did have rules about required attendance to be a member, but it has nothing to do with being a "Good member"
                              The clubs are through the school, but the school has very little control over them. The only requirements are that a faculty member has to be willing to sponsor it and they must abide by UVU's code of ethics.... otherwise it's all fair game.
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X