This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fucked over just before Christmas :(

My BF and I found a German restaurant we liked because it was different. It was small but they had a few interesting twists on traditional items. I mean I like some of the traditional German foods but I get bored of seeing the same menu every day... so this place was interesting.

"Was" is the operative word. They were fucked over by their employees.

We went in one day and found the owners there. The husband was cooking and the wife (just 4 days after popping out a baby!) was waiting tables. Apparently the people they'd hired had either called in or pulled an NCNS. And one of them who HAD been in didn't tell the husband they were running low of some items until there was just one serving left.

Fast forward a couple of weeks... They were on their last night of business. They weren't pulling in enough to keep open.

Mainly because it turned out the employees were lying to them and stealing. The employees would claim there had been no customers... but the food the husband had made was missing. Turned out the day shift was pocketing the sales and giving their friends food for free.

Seriously how fucked up is that. The bosses have a new mouth to feed and you go and fucking STEAL from them when this is how they live? Shit heads.

People like that were why the owners of the gas station I worked at were so anal about watching the camera footage and being there for a better part of the day.

Dishonesty is so prevalent, anywhere you go. It's horrible.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sadly, this is why small business owners need to keep a really sharp eye on their employees. One of the newspapers I used to work for was part of a chain of about 7 or 8 owned by a family, who treated their employees very well. They used to say they were "just one big family." Well, you guessed it. One "family" member was ripping them off on classifieds, I think it was. She never took vacations (red flag!) and was never, ever absent. Finally at one point she was gone for some reason and the temp they brought in to cover for her was the one who discovered the scamming. By that time it had been going on for literally years and they had lost so much money they were in the middle of selling off all their papers -- which are now owned by a giant mega-corporation that doesn't give a f*ck about its employees.

Comment

It's deplorable. Just deplorable. Why on earth can't humans control their greed?
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
          It's deplorable. Just deplorable. Why on earth can't humans control their greed?
          Cause they're humans?
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            People like that were why the owners of the gas station I worked at were so anal about watching the camera footage and being there for a better part of the day.

Dishonesty is so prevalent, anywhere you go. It's horrible.
            That's SO true... When I was at C-Store, I would tell my managers to spend at LEAST one whole hour a day watching that thing. The ones who did never had problems.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
              Sadly, this is why small business owners need to keep a really sharp eye on their employees. One of the newspapers I used to work for was part of a chain of about 7 or 8 owned by a family, who treated their employees very well. They used to say they were "just one big family." Well, you guessed it. One "family" member was ripping them off on classifieds, I think it was. She never took vacations (red flag!) and was never, ever absent. Finally at one point she was gone for some reason and the temp they brought in to cover for her was the one who discovered the scamming. By that time it had been going on for literally years and they had lost so much money they were in the middle of selling off all their papers -- which are now owned by a giant mega-corporation that doesn't give a f*ck about its employees.
              Ow. That hurts. I'd have to guess it was more than just classifieds, though, unless she was a manager and pocketing most of what came in. Advertising brings in a lot of revenue, but if losing money in just one dept. kills the business, there's something else going on. Of course, that could have been just the last straw that really did them in.

There used to be a wonderful pagan/craft store here. When the owner & her partner adopted a baby, they needed to take some time off. They trusted three friends to run things for them. Well, the friends were pretty much incompetent (and overwhemed). Bills didn't get paid, suppliers stopped supplying, and it was such a mess that they ended up closing. One of the little idiots even lied to me when I asked about a certain book. "It should be in the next shipment." I found out later that the publisher had already cut them off for non-payment. I really miss that store, it was the heart of the pagan community at the time.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

One of the owners of an action figure store I went to ended up screwing over Peter Jackson (yes that Peter Jackson). HE figured he would help himself to his credit card number. I'm not sure if they went out of business or not but that seems a bit shady.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Ow. That hurts. I'd have to guess it was more than just classifieds, though, unless she was a manager and pocketing most of what came in. Advertising brings in a lot of revenue, but if losing money in just one dept. kills the business, there's something else going on. Of course, that could have been just the last straw that really did them in.

There used to be a wonderful pagan/craft store here. When the owner & her partner adopted a baby, they needed to take some time off. They trusted three friends to run things for them. Well, the friends were pretty much incompetent (and overwhemed). Bills didn't get paid, suppliers stopped supplying, and it was such a mess that they ended up closing. One of the little idiots even lied to me when I asked about a certain book. "It should be in the next shipment." I found out later that the publisher had already cut them off for non-payment. I really miss that store, it was the heart of the pagan community at the time.
                  She was running the classified ad department and over the span of five years she embezzled more than $2 million. Apparently (especially towards the end) she'd often walk out with a couple of thousand dollars stuffed into her purse and she was fudging the paper trail, of course. When the police went to arrest her they had to sidle sideways through the house to get past hundreds of pairs of shoes (many never worn) and rooms full of unworn clothing, a lot of it still with price tags on it.

I think at that point there may have been other issues with the papers as well (newspapers in general are plummeting up here in Canada), but this was pretty much the nail in the coffin.

Wow, that sucks about the pagan/craft store. I'll bet the friendship kinda soured after that. Doesn't sound as though the friends set out to shaft them, but it had to leave some nasty residue behind anyway.
                  Last edited by Pixilated; 12-13-2011, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    Seriously how fucked up is that. The bosses have a new mouth to feed and you go and fucking STEAL from them when this is how they live? Shit heads.
                    It's happening far too often anymore. Someone wants to make an honest living with their talent, and someone else has to screw things up for them. I hope those bad employees get everything they deserve, and then some.

I do enjoy good international food. It's difficult to find it really well made, and it's a shame when a really good restaurant has to close.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                    X