This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Rental Customer's Math and Reasoning Failures

So, the Shirts family has moved. We were finally able to buy a house. Last weekend, I rented a truck and hauled our stuff. I went to return the truck on Saturday around noon, and I was treated to one side of a conversation full of Stupid.

Truck Rental Manager was very nice, very professional. I told her I didn't mind waiting while she took the incoming phone call. I can't recreate the whole conversation, but I can approximate what I heard TRM say to the caller.

Customer had rented a 26-foot truck for her move. (I rented a 16-foot, and I hated driving it. Those things are massive compared to my little Plymouth, and I just can't get comfortable with them.) Customer wanted to know how tall the truck was.

TRM: That truck will be either 12-feet six-inches or 12-feet eight-inches, depending on which model you got.
    TRM: No, it won't fit there.
    TRM: A 12-foot-six-inch truck will not fit under a bridge with a clearance of 12-feet-two.
    TRM: No. It's just a couple of inches too tall.
    TRM: Yes, I'm sure.

Then came some other question I didn't quite catch, but TRM's eyeroll was enough to tell me it was not even close to intelligent.

Finally, TRM seemed to have a small epiphany.

TRM: Wait, you're not going toward the River Road bridge, are you?
    TRM: I would suggest you find a different route. Take the Marion bridge instead.
    TRM: Because the road to the bridge you want to take has a lot of steep hills, both up and down, a lot of hairpin curves, some blind curves, and even a few blind, hairpin curves ON steep hills!
    TRM: You're driving a 26-foot truck. On that road, you'll have to take up both lanes to make a turn wide enough. And just pray nobody's coming because they might not see you in time to stop.
    TRM: I really think you should take the other bridge.
    TRM: No, I'm not trying to scare you into buying extra ins... Did I SAY anything about buying insurance for the truck?
    TRM: No, it's up to you, but I think it's a bad idea. There's a reason you never see a semi on that road.
    TRM: [deadpan] All right, then. I'll see you with the truck tomorrow. If you don't get it stuck or get into a crash before then.

And she hung up. I didn't ask for details. I did say, that I didn't even like taking my car on that road unless the weather was nice and I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere. She agreed, then told me that she wasn't looking forward to the rest of her afternoon because some guy had hauled some caged chickens in the cab of another truck and didn't bother to clean up after them.

By the way, if you want to know where this customer wanted to drive her 26-foot truck, ask Google Maps how to get from "Skyline Road South, Salem, OR to Independence, OR".
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

... took the top row of chickens off ...
    [/Wolf Creek]
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That's....A scary looking road for a 26ft truck

Now I REALLY want to know if the customer got the truck back in on piece!
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
        TRM: A 12-foot-six-inch truck will not fit under a bridge with a clearance of 12-feet-two.
        TRM: No. It's just a couple of inches too tall.
        TRM: Yes, I'm sure.
        And here's what happens next: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgreeUKQOts

And no, insurance specifically does not cover that.

(ETA: Google Maps directed me over Vitae Springs Rd to Orville Rd to River Rd (at which intersection that low bridge is). Next railroad crossing to the south is at Riverside Dr, but there's no Street View on that one, so I can't see how tall the trestle is. Not to mention, Skyline Rd South looks even worse than Orville Rd. for a large truck. I'd definitely have taken her advice: three times the distance (though only twice the time, which tells you something right there about the kind of roads they are) but less chance of rolling or getting stuck.)

Quoth dalesys View Post
        ... took the top row of chickens off ...
        [/Wolf Creek]
        Nitpick: the tunnel is on the uphill side.
        Last edited by Shalom; 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

TRM: I would suggest you find a different route. Take the Marion bridge instead.

By the way, if you want to know where this customer wanted to drive her 26-foot truck, ask Google Maps how to get from "Skyline Road South, Salem, OR to Independence, OR".

Hi neighbor. Knew where you were when you said Marion Bridge

Yep, big trucks do not take that road for very good reason.
          Last edited by Peppergirl; 12-16-2011, 03:09 AM.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Good grief! That looks like driving over Raton Pass (between Raton,NM and Trinidad,CO), minus the drop-off down the side of the mountains.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I knew it was here when you said River Rd. and Marion bridge. I'm over Cordon Rd. X Silverton Rd.
              GFY

Comment

Holy crap!

I've driven the 26 footers . . . they're a pain in the ass to drive making sharp turns.

That caller is nuts.

Looks like we've got a candidate for a Darwin Award here. Check local news for "Woman drives UHaul off mountain road"
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                X