This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I swore at a customer today"

This is what a friend of mine who is co-owner of a bakery/cafe told me the other week. We were sitting around talking about customers when she opened her tale with line in the title.

A strawberry cheesecake was made on Monday, put in the display cabinet on Tuesday, purchased by the customer on Wednesday and returned by the customer on Thursday as moldy. My friend was happy to refund the money even though she had no idea who the customer stored the cheesecake. It went down hill after the customer got her money back and uttered the line:

"Now you are going to check every item in the store for mold and I will wait while you do it.".

An argument started over checking the cakes as my friend is very fussy over the product, new it was okay and didn't have time to go through everything in the store. Once the evil "NO" word was said to the customer all the classic lines about poor customer server and wanting the manager.

The response from my friend was:
    "I am the owner of this store and I don't have the time to check all the products. If you don't like it you can fuck off out of my store."

A bit more background for the curious. The customer was not a health or food inspector but wanted to act like one. My friend is the day baker and the other owner is the night baker. She gets to handle all the customer complaints. This is the only moldy cake that has been brought back. She believes that either there was mold in the strawberries used or the customer didn't keep the cheesecake refrigerated.

I'm betting that this customer was a dumbass and left the cake out all day - probably in the sun.

Comment

Quoth TopEndDave View Post
      "I am the owner of this store and I don't have the time to check all the products. If you don't like it you can fuck off out of my store."
      Oh, how I wish I could say that to certain customers... :sigh:
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

i'm betting the sc thought she was talking to a peon and that she'd somehow get her in trouble with "the boss"

which makes it fun when they find out... o wait, the boss can't fire herself...
        Last edited by PepperElf; 01-11-2012, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
          I'm betting that this customer was a dumbass and left the cake out all day - probably in the sun.
          That would be likely depending on how hot it is up there.

Enjoying the weather?
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

you know... is it bad that this thread made me think that... if i ever owned a business i'd put it in the dog's name?

that way when some SC wanted to scream at the "owner" and demand I get fired i could look at the dog and say, "who loves her momma?" and the dog would always pick me. Then I could turn and say, "Sorry the owner sided with me, buhbye!"

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
              I'm betting that this customer was a dumbass and left the cake out all day - probably in the rain.
              And she'll never have that recipe again. OH NO.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                And she'll never have that recipe again. OH NO.
                She could always check the other bakery. You know, the one across the street from MacArthur Park
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ah the joy of being an owner...you can tell a dickbag customer exactly what you think of them. The idjit woman probably thought since it was a cake, it could be left out on the counter like a regular iced birthday cake. Who'd have thought a cake made mostly with dairy would go bad?

Why do I have a feeling this woman will try to come back and buy more cheesecakes in the future just to be a pain in the ass? Also, was the cake returned mostly whole, or was like half of it eaten before the mold was noticed (IOW: scarfed a bunch of cake, left it out intentionally, then returned for a refund so I could have a few free slices of cake)?

Comment

oo good point shadow. very good point.

Comment

Quoth ShadowBall View Post
                      Ah the joy of being an owner...you can tell a dickbag customer exactly what you think of them. The idjit woman probably thought since it was a cake, it could be left out on the counter like a regular iced birthday cake. Who'd have thought a cake made mostly with dairy would go bad?
                      Or if it was an icecream cake, that it needed to be put in the microwave to warm up.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        oo good point shadow. very good point.
                        Ahh, that's right! Hmmm, but if you saw soft fuzzy mold growing on a sliced area of the cake, then you'd KNOW it grew after it was cut, not before. Still, the company would probably just replace it regardless of the evidence.
                        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The weather up here lately has been hot and humid. Not much rain as the monsoon hasn't stuck around since a cyclone before Christmas dragged it away. Milk will go off very quickly up here. Maximum temperature has been 34C (93F)with the minimum averaging about 25C (77F). Humidity is usually above 50%.

My friend decided to refund the cake despite, that it could have been the customers fault as a good will gesture. All the cakes are kept refrigerated and those on display are in a box with a see through top so customers can see the condition of it. The customer demanding that all the cakes in the refrigerator be checked while the customer supervised was the sucky bit.

Being the owner means that you can say what you are really thinking without being fired.

Comment

Quoth TopEndDave View Post
                            "Now you are going to check every item in the store for mold and I will wait while you do it.".
                            "In that case, you're going to be waiting a long time."

XD That's so rude, the way the SC expected the baker to check every single cake in the bakery on her sayso. Who does she think she is, the Queen? Good for your friend for not taking any crap from that SC!
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Insane. Her responsibility to that customer ended when she took back the cake and refunded her money. She had no obligation to do anything else on that person's say-so. Glad she told her to GTFO.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X