This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my mother....

My mother is terrible at restaurants. Any type. Any kind. She's just....blagh.

She is just incredibly picky.

I can't decide which annoys me more, honestly.

- Her habit of basically acquiring double the silverware needed.
    She freaks out if she even thinks she sees some sort of dirt on silverware, so she either demands extras from the staff, or tries to make us go take it off other tables. (I stopped listening to her on that when I was in my teens.)

- Food temperature pickiness.
    She simply MUST have hot fries. If they're not practically on FIRE, she's upset about "how cold they are", and will go back up and throw a mini fit about it. And of course, we've heard her several times complain that the fries scorch her fingers. <facepalm>

- Food "allergies".
    Yes, she's one of those. If she decides she doesn't want a certain item on her meal, she'll state she's allergic to it. I keep telling her to not do that, but she just sniffs and says "its the only way to make sure they don't screw it up like they always do."

So if you see a very, very embarrassed daughter faceplanting at a table with her mom, saying "this is why we CANT HAVE NICE THINGS", there's a good chance its us. :P And I apologize in advance for her borderline OCD.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

My sister-in-law can be this way. On one family dinner she nearly got the server to walk out. I know this because I overheard him talking to the manager. I quickly headed over to them and apologized for how she was acting and promised to get her out of there as fast as we could. He got a very nice big tip for all his trouble (Almost as big as the total bill).

Comment

The only big thing my mom is picky on is where she sits. She's a table hopper sometimes lol

Comment

I work with someone like that. The cafeteria lunch is too expensive...we're talking $5 for lunch total. Where else would you get lunch for $5? If she has an apple, she'll take about 3 bites and then say it "tastes funny." She removes a third to half of the meat from her sandwich, saying it's too much; but if they put in less to start with she says they're stingy. If there's no ice, she'll complain her drink (that she got from the COLD SODA MACHINE) is "warm." Something is always too cold, too warm, too soft, too hard, too crunchy, too soggy, too much, not enough.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
          ... She's a table hopper sometimes lol
          A case of "You can make the frog a princess, but you can't get the frog out of her?"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            A case of "You can make the frog a princess, but you can't get the frog out of her?"

Omg, I LOLed and snorted at that one. Why? She's scared of / hates frogs. That was perfect! Thanks

Comment

My ex boyfriend's step mother was an absolute horror in restaurants. Nothing was ever right. And if something had too much salt she would bellow "This tastes like briiiiiiiiiinnnneee"

sigh.

I haven't seen her in over 15 years and still don't miss her.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

And this, boys and girls, is why I know how to cook.

If I want something a certain way, I (wait until I'm having a good day then) cook it myself.

If I go to a restaurant, I'm in the mood to experiment with flavours & learn from the experts. To a cafe, and I'm either the same (for really good cafes), or I'm hungry and for some reason not able/willing to cook for myself.

Or hell, I might just be in the mood for Indian (India/Sri Lanka, not Native American) food the way the little cafe down in the local shopping centre makes it.

Basic cooking - especially something like sandwich making - is NOT THAT HARD, people! (Especially the fussy folks we're talking about in this thread.)
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  - Food "allergies".
                  Yes, she's one of those. If she decides she doesn't want a certain item on her meal, she'll state she's allergic to it. I keep telling her to not do that, but she just sniffs and says "its the only way to make sure they don't screw it up like they always do."
                  I remember reading a post with a SC doing exactly this. I think it was one of Kisa's.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    I remember reading a post with a SC doing exactly this. I think it was one of Kisa's.
                    I think so. I remember that one too, and I cringed because I thought immediately of my mother.
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Basic cooking - especially something like sandwich making - is NOT THAT HARD, people! (Especially the fussy folks we're talking about in this thread.)
                      But if they make it themselves who will they fuss at about the way it is made? The person in the mirror?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                      X