This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week's worth of Sightings.

Some of these are funny, even I was laughing at one point. Some though, well they're the type that make you worry about humanity.

1.) DQ and the Fun Food Fracas.

The local DQ has this neat little system. When you order, they give you this rather large plastic thing that has a number on it. That number, in white on a red background, is what order you are. That way you get the right order right away...right? This is usually the case, though you'd be suprised how many people just ignore the little number things. Yes, Hilarity does ensue.

The other day, I go in for a few banana splits. While there, I notice there's a handful of people milling about and a series of those red numbers left on the end of the counter. My spidey senses were tingling. Bad things were coming.

This older man walks up to make an order, saying over and over that he doesn't want cheese. At one point, as they make the order, he turns to me and says something I don't catch. Probably a snide comment, but I don't know.

Ultimately, it transpires that he and three other customers get their orders munked up because all of them had ignored the little number cards. No numbers on the orders, so it becomes all helter skelter. Finally, at one point, the girls are trying to sort things out, when the older man looks at me and says:

"I shoulda never come here. They can't get my order right."

Looking right at him I said dryly. "They got the order right. You just weren't smart enough to get the number." And I showed him mine. No applause from the crowd, but the girls did give me a free shake later.

2.) No ID, NO SODA!

You know, I don't mind being carded, but there are times when I just want to scream. One of my favorite drinks is something known as IBC. It's a type of root beer that comes in this squat brown bottle that is reminiscent of an old style beer bottle. IBC ONLY comes in a bottle by the way, and has since some 1919.

Picking up a six pack the other day while out and about, I proced up to the cash register to pay. The cashier takes one look at the bottles and the little pack in my hands and says "I need to see your ID."

Blink.

"What?" I ask curiously.

Grabbing the root beer, she pulled it closer to her. "I need to see your ID, or you can't buy this." I honestly thought she was kidding. Reaching out to get it I said with a smile. "No you don't." To which she quickly pulled it back tucked it under her register and said. "Then you can't buy it." NO, she wasn't kidding. Crossing my arms, I opted to ask "WHY?" To which I was told that she had to ID for all beer.

Uh...root beer. As in soda pop...

When I didn't move she turned and threatened. "If you do not leave I'm calling the manager." Smiling I nodded. "Please. I want to talk to them."

The manager comes over, and she starts out about me wanting to buy beer without ID and such, to which the manager starts out saying how it's policy and such. Looking right at him I asked quote "Since when is it policy, to ID someone buying ROOT beer?" He blinked, said it wasn't, and then I said. "Then look at what I was buying."

From the look he gave the woman, I suspect he had words with her.

3.) I weep for the stupid...

The other day, while it was warm, I decided to wash my car. About halfway into it, I decided that I wouldn't just wash my car, but I'd wash my dad's truck and my mum's navigator. About halfway through the truck, with my car sitting aside, this gentleman pulls up in my driveway. Looking over I blinked, shrugged, and passed it off as someone my dad knows.

As I turned to hose off the car, this guy walks over and hands me his car keys. WTF? "I want it ready by two." he says sternly. Blinking at him I asked what he meant. "You wash cars don't you?" He asked. "No" came my answer. To which he replied. "Then what do you call this smart a**?" Looking around I hmmed. "I call it washing my family's cars because my mum and dad are sick, and you trespassing. Why?"

He left right quickly after that.

Still, we live on a dead end street. So I have to wonder does he drive up to every person he sees washing a car and pawn his off on them?
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

ow. Respac I think they clamor to you.

Comment

Mmm, IBC. That's the only root beer I ever drink! Delicious!

That aside, I think you handled all three situations very well. Aside from calling that DQ guy stupid, but, then again . . . he was.
      ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
        The manager comes over, and she starts out about me wanting to buy beer without ID and such, to which the manager starts out saying how it's policy and such. Looking right at him I asked quote "Since when is it policy, to ID someone buying ROOT beer?" He blinked, said it wasn't, and then I said. "Then look at what I was buying."

From the look he gave the woman, I suspect he had words with her.

Oh, biscuit. What a stupid woman. At least the manager got a clue.

Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'd give anything to have an all year DQ around here.

I'm jealous.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yeah back in my cashiering days I made the IBC mistake once....then I payed attention. Its an easy thing to mistake for beer if you are not paying attention. But I was not as idiotic as your cashier, I looked at what she was buying again and we had a little laugh over it. I also carded someone for a bottle of Sparkling Cider once....
            If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
            www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Can you go anywhere without something happening?

I'm glad that 99.9% of the time I don't have these problems.
              "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
              HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                Actually, I had this happen to me with this Key Lime Soda i buy, and they needed to see my ID as well. The clerk explained it to me that since you can buy beers/wine coolers/etc in the same type of box, you could easily switch one out, show them the Key Lime Soda label, and hop out with alcohol. I'll admit that I think it's kind of silly, but I can see why they cover their butts as well.

Comment

Quoth angelicafire View Post
                  Actually, I had this happen to me with this Key Lime Soda i buy, and they needed to see my ID as well. The clerk explained it to me that since you can buy beers/wine coolers/etc in the same type of box, you could easily switch one out, show them the Key Lime Soda label, and hop out with alcohol. I'll admit that I think it's kind of silly, but I can see why they cover their butts as well.
                  How 'bout looking at the bottles? Oh, wait, that makes sense...
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

BSE-
                    If it makes sense...

blas-
                    I have one too *gets a lil giddy on the inside*

repsac-
                    Those were hilarious. IBC makes a cream soda too... you should try it
                    I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                    "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
                      repsac-
                      Those were hilarious. IBC makes a cream soda too... you should try it
                      they also have a black cherry soda that i'm exceedingly fond of.

blas...they don't have dq year-round up there? wow, they're like a staple of small-town life down here. they're everywhere.
                      My Space

Comment

The only all year round DQs I know of are Braziers, and we don't have them around here. Don't get me wrong, there's 4 in this big city and 2 in my parent's city and 2 in my old hometown.......but none open all year.

I bet if I went down to LaCrosse or Tomah or Madtown there'd be some lol.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

About item #3

Dude... FREE CAR!
                          Remember the scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off where the lot attendants take that sweet car
                          (Cameron: The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion.
                          Ferris: It is his fault he didn't lock the garage.)
                          on a joy ride thru Chicago?

You could have done something similar, gone thru a carwash for cheap, and charged him $$$.
                          Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

I really don't know what it is about me. Maybe it's my cologne. :P

As to calling the guy stupid, I hate to admit that I wasn't in the best of moods then, and his constant whining which actually sounded like someone beating the snot out of a bag pipes with a sledge hammer, didn't help matters.

I'm not exaggerating either here. His voice was THAT nasal.
                            Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                              As to calling the guy stupid, I hate to admit that I wasn't in the best of moods then, and his constant whining which actually sounded like someone beating the snot out of a bag pipes with a sledge hammer, didn't help matters.
                              Hey, hey, now! Don't be insulting bagpipes like that!

Blas - we have Brazier here, too, but they still serve all the ice cream and stuff (mmm.... tropical Blizzard!). Don't they up there?
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X