This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liar Liar you Shameless Ass

BG: My father recently passed away. He was the last living parent and as such, it's up to us kids to handle his affairs. Or rather, up to one particular sister and brother, since I live 1000 miles away. Dad had no money. Thus, there's no estate and anyone my dad owed is pretty much SOL. Nevertheless, there's still plenty of work to be done, cleaning out the property, handling notices of death, etc etc.

Further BG: A few years back, dad had his heat turned off for non-payment. Sis & I helped pay down the balance, scrape together a deposit, and get his heat back on just in time for winter. Because of privacy issues, the only way the gas company would talk to us was if dad made us contacts on the account. Not cosigners, just approved contacts so they could discuss the balance due and payment options. Every now and then, sis would still check the balance online or make a payment. End BG.

So sis contacts the gas company to let them know dad is deceased and explain that any bills due will not be paid and to please cancel service to the property. The man on the phone then proceeds to tell sis that even though dad is deceased, sis is a cosigner on the account and will therefore be responsible for any amount past due.

....Say what?

Sis explains she is NOT a cosigner, has never been a cosigner, and is merely an authorized contact on the account. The guy is firm and makes it clear sis is 100% responsible for the account and if she refuses to pay whatever is past due, then the account will go to collections.

Sis is needless to say quite upset and gets off the phone, since she needed to get ready for work. She tells me what happened and I was livid. I told her to escalate the call, demand a supervisor, demand proof she agreed to become a cosigner. Tell them it's fraud to illegally mark her name as a cosigner on the account, etc. Poor sis, I was ranting.

So sis calls back the next day to get more information and complain. They had no idea what she was talking about. They confirmed she was only a contact name on the account and has never been a cosigner. They asked if she knew the name of the guy she talked to before, but of course she didn't. Besides, remember that deposit we put down a few years back? That will pay all but 20 bucks dad owed anyway. So yeah, jackass employee took advantage of a grieving family member, lied and threatened collections on someone, all over 20 bucks.

You asshole. Karma will come back to bite you in the ass one day. And Karma is a big and burly beast. You deserve it.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

I don't even get why he would lie. It's not money owed to him.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      I don't even get why he would lie. It's not money owed to him.
      Yeah, but it is money owed to the gas company, and he might be evaluated on how much money he's able to get out of past-due accounts.

At least the second person talked to didn't give the same story, and made things right.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I had a collections agent lie to me once and threaten me with legal charges when I was reluctant to give the new phone number and address of a former roommate out. I was young and had never talked to one before, so I caved.

She wasn't upset that I had done this, though she did call to tell me she'd taken care of the bill . . . $25 . . . so I shouldn't get any more calls (I didn't).
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I think IPF has the right idea, the guy is probably pushed to reclaim as many monies as possible for the company. Even so, that's a new level of suckitude, twisting the arm of someone who's trying to do right by a deceased parent.

During the first call, the $700 deposit was never discussed and sis was led to believe she'd owe hundreds of dollars. Fortunately the second call cleared things up, but what a miserable human being. Not only was he a liar, he also didn't bother to look at how much the account really owed.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            Not only was he a liar, he also didn't bother to look at how much the account really owed.
            He wasn't just a liar, he was a cursed liar!

"calls upon the ancient spirits of evil to lay the smack down on Dippy the Donkey. If you smell what Lobo is cooking?"Voo-doo! Voo-doo! Voo-doo!
            Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
              I had a collections agent lie to me once and threaten me with legal charges when I was reluctant to give the new phone number and address of a former roommate out.
              I had one lie to me and threaten me with legal charges because I refused to let him call my work any longer. He was actually yelling at me by the time I told him that if he ever called again, I would be filing a harassment charge.

Thankfully, despite lying his ass off, he actually did know the law. And maybe he researched the account and found out that I actually had paid it off two years prior with the in-house agent that worked to get the money from me. (Crapital One - avoid them for having sloppy accounts practices >_< )

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There's a group of collections agencies that specialize in getting money out of relatives of deceased debtors. I cannot imagine doing that kind of job (well, I suppose if it were the only job I could get to keep my children from starving, but otherwise, pfft). They totally play on these poor grieving, often financially poor people.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                X