This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small sighting...

I stopped at my nearby BN (where I worked first) on my way home from work to look at a book that just came out (and which I'm getting my friend at my last store to borrow for me) to see if I really want to borrow it, and to say hi to a friend who usually works Fridays. I ran to the bathroom, and there was a woman in there with 2 shopping bags and a big tote bag. So, being the nice person I am, I held the door for her (went out first and stood to the side, reaching back to hold it). She walked through, said not one word of thanks, nor did she even so much as look at me and nod. Well, you're so welcome.

I also saw a woman with a little girl who must have been her granddaughter. Grandma's hair was in pigtails. That's neither here nor there, but at a certain point, I think it's time to stop wearing pigtails....Just my opinion.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

I think the door incident was rude. While I do not expect men to go out of their way to open doors for me, if they know I am behind them, it would be kind to at least hold it open until I can grab it and get out myself. I thank anyone who is polite enough to open a door for me or keep it open so I can get out.

I've been behind jerks who know a trail of people are behind them and just whip it shut. Those jerks wonder why they never get any girls.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I swear... What is it that makes people forget the rules they learned in kindergarten?
      I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
      "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

I'm a door holder. I get nearly-frightened or generally shocked looks far more often than I get thank you's. Not going to stop me from using the manners my parents taught me though.

And me? I will *always* say thank you, unless, of course, I have my mouth full. Because that would be rude.
        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
          I swear... What is it that makes people forget the rules they learned in kindergarten?
          hey now, in their defense most of them probably dropped out of kindergarten.
          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

*ahem*

One is never too old for pigtails.

Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
              *ahem*

One is never too old for pigtails.

There's a cute pic of Becks with her hair in pigtails, and she lighting up a smokey treat. She might still have it on her MySpace page.

Back on topic-sort of--I hold doors open. My mother taught me manners. I thank those that hold doors open for me. Some people don't return the courtesy. :Þ
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Why thank you, big sis.

Would we say Mommy taught me manners, also?

Mike's parents didn't go well teaching HIM manners, or he's lazy. I'm not sure which.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My husband happens to totally dig it when I do pigtails.....

Comment

My mother raised me right, I actually recall the conversation where she told me to always open a door for a lady. It involved her standing in front of a door for quite a while while my poor 6 y.o. mind was churning trying to figure out why she didn't open it.

Anyhow, now I think it's fun just to trip people out, since no one expects to have a door opened for them anymore I'll just open it right up, flash them a big goofy grin and say something cheesy like "after you" and wave my arm. It's cool, like Cary Grant.

It was especially fun when I had a huge blue mohawk...
                    Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to offend with the pigtail comment. This woman was probably in her 60s, though. Guess I'm just not a pigtail kinda girl. Some folks can pull em off and some, well, not.

Comment

Some folks can pull em off
                        OW! Not that way!
                        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                          OW! Not that way!

I gotta say, I am really regretting not going with my impulse and calling out "you're welcome" after her.

Comment

I always hold the door for a woman or a group if if I am the last one in or out. I open the doors for the women if they are getting into my car.
                            Last edited by powerboy; 03-05-2007, 03:02 AM. Reason: Had to finnish a word
                            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I hold the door open not expecting to hear a thank-you, maily because people are assholes. If they don't however say something I'll holler out "Your'e quite welcome". Never does anygood, but hey, if they are going to be assholes why can't I?

Comment

Working...
                              X