This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What the hell are peaches doing in pear sauce?"

Monday night I was away from my phone to try out a yoga class. On the train ride home, I realized I had a voicemail from a number I didn't recognize. Oh well, I figured I'd listen and call back. It started off and I was pretty sure this person had been talking over my voicemail message. In their defense, they sounded like they were older. I'm not calling this person sucky, but more likely confused. This voicemail had to be heard to be believed. This is not quite verbatim and shortened a little bit, but not far off:

Caller: I am really worried about the willful spending of money that's going on. I am worried about all the money we owe on this house. Somebody has to be!
    Me:
    <insert about 15 seconds of dead silence>
    Caller: I'm gonna bake a cake. You know what? I'm gonna bake a cake. Because I want something to eat other than ice cream.
    Me:
    Caller: I made some jello. I said to myself, I want to make some jello. So I wanted to make it with peaches and I took the peaches out of the cabinet, but they said "peaches in pear sauce" and I said, "What the hell are peaches doing in pear sauce?!?!"
    Me: <trying really hard not to totally lose it on the train>
    Caller: I bought some cookies. I went to the store and I bought some cookies and they were really cheap, too! Vanilla cookies! I saved 40 cents"
    <voicemail abruptly ends>
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

That was... excessively weird. My first guess would be someone who lives alone and was so desperate for any sort of interaction that they rambled on to the voicemail recorder til it cut them off. Any bets that whoever it was just kept right on rambling on til they got a dial tone? That's assuming they weren't also on a cell phone, in which case there's no telling how long they kept rambling.

You know, I'd be tempted to save the number and just randomly call it from time to time just for the entertainment value. Plus, who knows, the person at that number might turn out to be interesting once you get past the desperate for any sort of contact part.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Cookie View Post
      Caller: I made some jello. I said to myself, I want to make some jello. So I wanted to make it with peaches and I took the peaches out of the cabinet, but they said "peaches in pear sauce" and I said, "What the hell are peaches doing in pear sauce?!?!"
      I can answer this one. They were put there by a man in a factory downtown.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
        They were put there by a man in a factory downtown.
        You are my...Hero...
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          They were put there by a man in a factory downtown.
          I'm stealing this.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I think I know why they're having too much willful spending of money.... S/he keeps buying other sweet things instead of eating the peaches!

I feel bad for the peaches, too. They didn't ask to be put in pear sauce, and now they may never be eaten. :-(

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
              I think I know why they're having too much willful spending of money.... S/he keeps buying other sweet things instead of eating the peaches!

I feel bad for the peaches, too. They didn't ask to be put in pear sauce, and now they may never be eaten. :-(
              Let's have a moment of silence for the peaches
              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

... I could go for a couple a peaches in au pair sauce ...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  If there was one thing I was lacking today, it was an earwom.

Glad you could provide.

Comment

Quoth Cookie View Post
                    "What the hell are peaches doing in pear sauce?!?!"
                    "The backstroke?"
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                      If there was one thing I was lacking today, it was an earwom.
                      I already had one going, but this replaced it handily, and for the better.

As for the phone call - WTH?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        ... I could go for a couple a peaches in au pair sauce ...
                        Really like your peaches, wanna shake your tree...
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You know, one part of the random ramble I can kind of sympathise with.

I like pears, but they don't tend to be very long lived, so I buy these pear pots at my local supermarket (ingredients list: Pears, Pear juice. That's it.) One day I thought I'd pick up the next size up so I could make a dessert with it (pre-chopped, so less messy), & discovered that for some strange reason the pears in the larger pot were stored in grape juice. WTF? Doesn't help I'm intolerant to grapes or pure grape juice...
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                            They come in a can.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              They come in a can.
                              That ragged edge left by the can opener...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X