This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth blas View Post
    And everyone else is grateful to have saved on their heating bills, saved on auto repairs and extra gas (any vehicle tends to guzzle like crazy when it's -30) from the damage that winter does to the roads, probably avoided many accidents, and didn't have to cancel as many plans because of weather.
    Not to mention not having to plug the cars in at night. Which is something I do not miss having left North Dakota.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Can you even plug in newer vehicles?

I noticed a few vehicles around here do plug in at night during the winter, as we do have outdoor plugs for that very thing, but I don't think my car can.

The last car I saw do that, forgot to unplug, and drove off with their cord.

I have remote start, so I just fire it up a few mintues before I leave. It will only run for about 7 minutes without me getting in and putting in the key, but it's usually enough to defrost and get the car ready and decent enough for me to be in there and I can wait a few extra before I go. This winter has been so nice that I didn't need to ever leave it running for more than a few minutes before leaving.

I love remote start. Even in summer, as long as I leave the A/C settings when I turn the car off last time, the car is nice and cool by the time I get back in.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I got my degree in meteorology. It's not an easy science. I don't trust any forecast over 3 days myself, but most stations want ratings, so they do those silly 8 day forecasts, ha.

Also, there is a huge difference tv weather person and meteorologist

FYI, we are trying to control El Niño and La Nina, and when we do you mere mortals shall bown down to us, hahahaha.

We of course, will bow down to our feline overlords
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          A classic scene from ROCKY & BULLWINKLE when Congress, trying to figure out what to do with Captain Peter Peachfuzz, gets a brainstorm. "Where can we put a man who's always wrong? Where else, THE WEATHER BUREAU!"

Bob Ryan is probably the worst, but Doug Hill's not much better. And the less said about Topper Shutt the better...
          Oh, you have Topper in your area now, huh? He was with one of our local stations back in the 90's for awhile.

As far as our weather folks go, Van Denton's not too bad, but I think I'd believe him over Eric Chilton or Lanie Pope.

And that ain't saying much.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Lurking Sockpuppet View Post
            What is this snow thing you speak of?

Born, raised and still live in Florida.

Sockpuppet

What part of Florida? I grew up in South Florida. I got my first taste of winter after moving to upstate New York (Buffalo area). It's been really mild this year but I heard last year's winter was insane.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
              What part of Florida? I grew up in South Florida. I got my first taste of winter after moving to upstate New York (Buffalo area). It's been really mild this year but I heard last year's winter was insane.
              Currently Saint Augustine, originally Jacksonville. There have been times where we have had flurries but they melted as soon as they touched the ground. Back in 89 we actually had a snow/sleet storm that shut down the area. I have never been exposed to any real snowfall. I did make it to the smoky mountains one year and there was a little snow remaining on the ground.

Mild is an understatement for this year. It has been beach weather for most of the winter.

Sockpuppet

Comment

Snow? Oh, right, snow. That stuff that came down so hard a few years back that I didn't manage to get my paper route done until after 11 AM. ... For reference, I start at 2 AM. 2 vehicles ended up stuck, and I had to get a third vehicle- a nice, high, big-engined van to push them out of the drifts they'd gotten stuck in. And I'd gotten the second vehicle to try to get the first out of the drift... Ended up taking the first two cars home and leaving them there, finishing in the van. I think this was 2007 or similar... 2007 was not a nice winter over here. Fortunately, most folks were quite understanding about not getting their paper early in the morning. Less snow, less runoff, less chance of flooding in the summer.

Comment

I have heard of people who want to sue b/c of no winter...WTF.

Comment

Quoth sweetj82 View Post
                    I have heard of people who want to sue b/c of no winter...WTF.
                    Who are they going to sue? God?
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Governor Walker or the local weatherman. Whichever is more hated on any given day.

Would I be far off in betting a paycheck or two that the idiots threatening to sue because of the lack of snow/cold are dribbling idiots from Wisconsin? Ooooh wah wah wah no snowmobile trails this year! WAAAAHH!
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                        I've had a very mild winter in my neck of the woods.

For which I am eminently grateful.
                        Same here. It was an awful winter last year, with shitloads of snow falling first in November, then some more in January. The council ran out of grit very quickly and I was unable to leave the village where I was living for four days. O.o Plus it was cold, and rampaging dickhead panic buyers were stripping all the local shops of everything edible.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Cat View Post
                          I got my degree in meteorology. It's not an easy science. I don't trust any forecast over 3 days myself, but most stations want ratings, so they do those silly 8 day forecasts, ha.

Also, there is a huge difference tv weather person and meteorologist

FYI, we are trying to control El Niño and La Nina, and when we do you mere mortals shall bown down to us, hahahaha.

We of course, will bow down to our feline overlords
                          For those who don't habla espanol, el Niño is Spanish for "the Niño ".
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post

RIP Chris Farley.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

March 15 - Tornado warnings, thunderstorms and hail.....in Michigan...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                                Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

RIP Chris Farley.
                                XD I heart both of you. Just sayin'.
                                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
                                X