This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just wanna smack em

So, my roomates(married couple) came home from Goodwill one day and was very proud of what they did. Apparently they got a skillet and the price was $6. Well, they took a sticker that said $1.99 from another item and swapped them. I just wanted to smack the living crap out of them. I hate when people do that. And to be proud of it too? I know we don't have a lot of money but we aren't that bad off. I refuse to use the skillet and always get nagged at when we I make dinner for all of us. Pisses me the off

Ok, bad enough to do it at a store (it's absolutely wrong and I would never do it, but neither do I lose sleep over a large corporation losing a few dollars). But to do it at a charity shop? To cheat a charity of money? Damn, that's low.

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Its a 4 dollar difference. Its really a good deal being 6 bucks. Its prolly like 30 dollars somewhere else. It just irks me.

Comment

When they nag at you for not using it, tell them 'I try not to use stolen goods.' Then when they try to claim they paid for it, point out by switching the price tags they stole $4 from a charity. And as far as any DECENT person is concerned, that makes the pan stolen goods. They probably will ignore that, but there's a good chance they will shut up about it just so you don't remind them again that they are thieves.

Comment

Maybe you can go to the store, give them the 4-dollars they're owed, and tell them what your friends did so the employees can watch for them the next time they 'shop' because that's a horrible thing for so-called friends to do, and they certainly wouldn't stay MY friends for very long!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I confess, I switched tags. Once, as a teenager. On a deck of playing cards at a truck stop.

I never did it again.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I agree with Teskeria: if they're going to keep nagging you to use it, keep rubbing their faces in the fact they basically stole it.

I also agree with LillFilly. The shop should know these people are doing this. Your roommates may find that the next time they go to that shop, there somehow always seems to be a staff member hovering a few feet away ...

Scammage knows no boundaries, I'm afraid. At the thrift shop I volunteer at, it's not unusual for people to rip off the tags. IF someone at the checkout are alert, they may notice the little plastic thingie still attached to the item. (We've started writing the prices of shoes on the soles in Magic Marker.)

My first inclination, if I get handed an item that obviously used to be tagged, is to say, "Oh, that'll be $10" which usually results in a from the customer. Problem with that, of course, is ... there's no guarantee that the person bringing the item to the checkout is the one who ripped off the tag.

Comment

Local Goodwill figured out a way around this. Quite industrious I think. Color coded tags combined with water soluable (spelling) markers for anything not clothing related. If the two do not match, they will not sell the item. Would take somebody a little time to change both.

For clothing they use color coded tag holders (not sure what they are called, would normally hold the tags in place, but no tags). Harder to replace, as they pass through the material. No tag holder, no sale.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Donate the skillet back to the charity shop.
                  I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                    Donate the skillet back to the charity shop.
                    Or give the skillet to Lupo. I'm sure that she could find 101 uses for it.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have to buy a new one today since I a different one. I'm broke, but I ain't gonna steal it. Wish I could give it back, or had the means to give them 4 bucks (damn laundry). It was also way out of character for them to do that. Esp when hubby is on parole. Idiots.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        Or give the skillet to Lupo. I'm sure that she could find 101 uses for it.
                        No.

Just no.

Bonk! Klang! tweet tweet tweet
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          No.

Just no.

Bonk! Klang! tweet tweet tweet
                          Dude, I'm sure she has a whole armory of skillets!
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                            I have to buy a new one today since I a different one. I'm broke, but I ain't gonna steal it. Wish I could give it back, or had the means to give them 4 bucks (damn laundry). It was also way out of character for them to do that. Esp when hubby is on parole. Idiots.
                            Donate them something to sell. Even if you don't have anything much, if you're craft-skilled you could make them something out of 'found objects'.

Trivets or pot holders made of discarded clothes can be done very nicely, if nothing else. Make sure the clothes in question are heat-proof. (Denim is a good candidate, so are old 'work clothes' of the overalls/work pants/work shirts sort.)

If you can braid, you cut the cloth with pinking shears (or use a fabric that doesn't unravel and use ordinary scissors). Make each strip about an inch wide, and as long as you conveniently can. Braid the strips together. When a strip is about two inches from ending, put a replacement strip with it, and braid the two as if they were one until the first ends.

Once you have finished up the cloth, or think you have a long enough braid, roll the braid into a coil. Get a sewing needle and thread, and sew the coil together so it doesn't uncurl. If the thread matches, you can sew pretty damn roughly and still have the thing look good.

If you want to, decorate the finished trivet with anything heat-proof. Otherwise, you're done.
                            Last edited by Seshat; 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                              I confess, I switched tags. Once, as a teenager. On a deck of playing cards at a truck stop.

I never did it again.
                              I think Karma allows each one of us a pass on a couple of idiotic things done as teenagers - at least I hope so Especially if we're smart enough not to do it again

Madness takes it's toll....
                              Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X