Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Domicile of Despair (long, epic, get your popcorn)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Domicile of Despair (long, epic, get your popcorn)

Part 1 - Warning Signs

Get comfy, because this is going to be a long story. My memory of the time is a bit foggy, so bear with me as I try and drudge up some memories that I cannot say I'm very fond of. Its really long to boot, so I'll be posting it in parts, as I get the chance to type it up. This happened about five, six years ago. *edited that there, so sorry I forgot to specify a timeframe for this*

It all began after a bit of family drama finally drove me away from home. I decided at that point to move out, and to try and go to a college a couple of hours away, and try and stay on campus. I applied to the college, was approved, given a full ride to boot, plus a very small bonus for books. I thought things were going to be hunky dory, but little did I know how very, very naïve I was about the real world.

The dormitory on campus idea did not pan out, sadly. They were shut down a few months before the next semester, due to massive structural issues and supposedly some asbestos and black mold issues. So, I inquired at the office, and was recommended to check out the new living quarters being sanctioned by the school.

A couple of miles away from campus, a burgeoning company had purchased a decrepit motel, and were in the process of remodeling it to be suitable for living again, plus adding in a few amenities to attract students. It sounded like a dream place. A single room suite, with utilities included, plus access to a hair salon, pool, and exercise area. On top of that, there was to be a cafeteria where you could get meals, and they were even going to have a cooking staff who would bring your meals to you if you wanted.

All in all, it sounded like practical heaven to a youngling out on her own for the first time. Should've known better, but hindsight is 20/20.

After filing an application, and being approved, my parents took me out there to view the place, and.....it was not originally as they stated. Everything was still in the midway process of being built. Half the rooms were still being stripped, and there was construction debris everywhere. They promised profusely that everything was “on schedule to be finished by the time school starts”. Ok, guess we'll put down a deposit then! Picked out the room I wanted, got my keys, and went back home.

Fast forward to where I am moving in.

We arrive with the truck o stuff, and I go to my room and open the door....and promptly surprise a half naked dude playing video games in MY room. Turns out, oops, they forgot which room I wanted, and sold it to someone else, and since they couldn't find the keys, had new ones made up for him.

Apologies abounded, and I picked out a new place, and settled in finally, and waved goodbye to my parents.

Things went fine for the first week, and then the first round of trouble started.

I couldn't get any sleep because the guy who lived next door to me was....ehm....loud. As were his...female visitors. They tried to cover up their noises with music, but when the visitor's inclined to scream, it still doesn't cover it. And turning up the music to the point the walls are shaking doesn't help things either. Multiple calls to the landlord never worked, and I even tried knocking on his door and asking politely. That got me a nice middle finger in my face and a few choice swear words, while the Female of the Night came up behind him, mostly naked, and screamed at me as well.

Eep.

Then, a couple of days after I gave up trying to be nice, and called the landlord down AGAIN, my internet and phone cut out one day, and I couldn't get it working, no matter what. I called in the property manager (henceforth to be known as Slumlord) and asked him to take a look at it. I stepped out for a bit to get my mail while he examined the cables, and came back to find him sorting through stuff on my dresser. He jumped back when I walked in, and stammered that he was just looking around, thought he heard a noise. Angry, I asked what kind of noise would've come from a pile of laundry, and he just walked back to the cables and continued to check things out. I stayed in there then, and watched him until he pointed out the problem. The cables in the wall had been severed. WTF? He stated that it was unrepairable unless they pulled out the cables from the wall and redid them, and that would make a huge mess, obviously. Would I be interested in living in a different room?

So yes, moving yet AGAIN to a new room, and this time I picked a corner room, hoping that maybe with nobody on one side, it'd be a lot quieter.

As I was carrying totes of stuff on over, this one guy stopped me and said “Ohhh, you're the chick in <room>, right? Yeah, you ok?” I replied in the affirmative, and asked why.

“Oh, that last **tch he had over was CRAAAAAZY. She heard you calling, and took a knife to the wall and cut your wires, said she was gonna cut you too. Best be careful if you see her, you hear?”

...Oh wow, seriously? I thanked him, and he actually helped me carry over the last couple of totes, and again told me to be careful, and left, and made a note to myself to be careful of who I ticked off in the future.

Pity, if only I'd remembered that advice for myself in the future. Namely, with my landlords.

-End of Part 1-
    Last edited by Seraph; 03-14-2012, 09:20 PM. Reason: ACK
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

O.O

Holy schmoly...

*settles in to wait impatiently for part 2*

*Screw waiting, wanders into chat to see if Seraph is there and to bug her*

Comment

...holy crap.

This is definitely gonna be epic.

PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

*gets the case of soda ready for Seraph*

*sits next to jay and eats popcorn*
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

*brings plate of iced gingerbread*
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

when i read that the lines had been severed i figured it was in revenge.

Comment

holy. freaking. crap.
              The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

And the school did...what exactly?

I'm going to guess nothing.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That's seriously messed up. The first part makes it seem like the pit of hell, I can't wait to see how much further it goes,
                  "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Because Lupo was jonesing, took a bit to type this next part up quick.

Part 2

So, now I'm in my new apartment, rather enjoying the higher amount of calm, and the fact that, hey, nobody lives next door to me! Things went fine for the first couple of weeks, and then I noticed that I was having a rather unusual rash of headaches and bloody noses, that just popped out of nowhere for no reason. (I jokingly told a friend that obviously I was developing telekinetic powers.)

Well, one day I returned from an all day session of classes, and noticed an unusual smell when I opened the door. I stepped inside.

Squish.

Oh dear heavens, say it isn't.....

Looked down, and yes. It is. My entire carpet is squishy. Upon looking up, there is an obvious mini waterfall coming literally out of the wall under the sink. Well, crud.

I squished rapidly around the room, saving whatever I could that was on the floor, and calling up Slumlord to notify him of the situation. In doing so, I tried to vainly stick a towel up under the waterfall (not sure why, not like it'd do anything), and my hip bumped up against a wooden wall panel. The panel apparently wasn't secured, and fell straight off.

Reaching over, I grabbed the panel to put it back, and stopped short. There, on the other side of the panel, in the wall gap, was a black growth that looked a heck of a lot like black mold. I backed up rapidly, and waited outside until Slumlord finally showed up.

Ended up, someone in the room adjacent to me decided to flush some nonflushable items, and they got stuck in the pipes and blocked it. They then ran their tub faucet for....who knows how long. End result was that the pipes burst somehow, and I was suffering the other side of the leak. Yay. I pointed out the panel area, and Slumlord peered down, and started growling. “*$#*@% sonofa*$#&% black mold, they said they got it all.”

Meekly, I asked for a new room, since it was obvious that I wasn't going to be able to really live in this one at this point. Slumlord said he didn't want to, and then I said well fine, I expected at the very least, a free month's rent because of this.

He promptly agreed that it was probably the best if I just picked out yet another new room.

Allllrighties. Picked out a new room, just a few doors down, and after checking it for any weird smells (and checking the panels in that room too for mold), I went and started moving yet AGAIN.

I distinctly remember that as I placed down my last tote, saying to the room “Ahhhh, finally. Now everything will be nice and not crazy.”

Ahhahahaha. Hahaha. Ha.

On a side note, my ex-room ended up being taped off and boarded up. They found black mold under the carpet (when they ripped it up to replace it), all in the walls by the sink, and alllll behind the plastic wall for the shower/tub.

-End of Part 2-
                    Last edited by Seraph; 03-14-2012, 09:14 PM.
                    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      I distinctly remember that as I placed down my last tote, saying to the room “Ahhhh, finally. Now everything will be nice and not crazy.”
                      Nice and not crazy? In that train wreck of a place?! It just keeps getting worse and worse! I'm waiting for the building to blow up, or an invasion of Zombie Rats.

::settles in with and and waits to hear the rest of the story::
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

After all those moves from one room to another, I would have just said fuck it and found somewhere else
                        Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Waiting with popcorn for future parts.
                          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Wow, just wow. And here I thought when *I* moved there were a lot of problems.

*pops a bag of popcorn as well*
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Black mold = very very bad.

Eee gods.

PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X