This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint About Store Selling Fake Product

A customer complained to security today about one of our smaller family-owned stores. This is a rather large family whose various members own 4-small stores in our mall, 2-selling crap and knockoff stuff, 2-selling useful items. The customer purchased some jewelery stamped with .925 (for sterling silver) from a case labeled STERLING SILVER. Each piece was approx. $15. Once home he tested it with a magnet, it stuck, so he returned the items. The store owner didn't bat an eye, which made the customer figure he knew the stuff was fake. In my personal opinion, I would see the price and realize that the stuff couldn't possibly be sterling silver, but since it is stamped and labeled as such I'm sure many just figure it's their lucky day, it must be a sale! I have no problem with him selling the fake stuff if it's labeled such. Another store this family owns also sells jewelery. We had another customer complain after purchasing a $300 'gold' necklace (also stamped and from a case labeled SOLD 18K GOLD), then having it checked at a jeweler to find it was plated. However, this store refused to refund the customer or do a return, so he was pissed.

I've spoken with one manager who pretty much said 'buyer beware' but I think I will go to the mall's boss because there have been so many complaints and everyone in the area thinks that this family is a bunch of cons. I don't like them myself, but as long as they stick to the rules we will be fine. When you lie to the customers though, that crosses the line. I don't know if the customers can do any legally and don't know if I could recommend that anyway. I don't know if some sort of anonymous investigation could be launched, but then that would look bad for the mall. The stores probably feel that if they revealed what they actually sell, they wouldn't get as many large purchases from people who really seem to think you can buy a 20inch sold gold chain for $300 so they can feel important. Someone seemed to imply that it's ok to sell the fake stuff to someone who believes it's real as long as they never actually SAY that it's real; then they can fall back on "well, the customer never asked if it was or not!"
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

It's fraud. It's illegal. Report them.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

This is completely illegal. The US has regulations about this; that's the entire point of the stamps -- there is a set standard for metal and only metal meeting those standards is meant to be stamped. ENTIRELY against the law, and frankly if an investigation will make your mall look bad, NO investigation will make your mall look worse.

Also, it's entirely possible to get sterling and gold at those prices. I worked in a trading post that sold a lot of Native-made jewelry (mostly sterling, although there was a selection of gold), and the prices depended on when the owner had purchased them. They'd been in business over 20 years and some of their pieces had been purchased that long ago, and were either on the shelves or in a warehouse. Obviously the price of these things was lower then, and they did not jack up the prices now to fit with the current demand. Or if they did, it wasn't enough to be noticeable -- they had the best prices in the mall and possibly the town.

Although in all fairness I now feel like I'm getting ripped off when I buy silver. The Navajo/Hopi/Zuni pieces I bought were either heavy silver, really finely handcrafted, or both, so when I go to Kohls and see super-delicate earrings going for 40-50 dollars, I gag a little. >_>

Comment

Have to agree with the above, definitely illegal. Those customers have every right to sue.

And chances are with people that upset, they'll sue the mall, too, if they find out they were aware of the problem beforehand and did nothing. Whether or not that holds up will still cause issues for the mall and its tenants.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly
          I don't know if the customers can do any legally and don't know if I could recommend that anyway.
          Sure they can. They can sue the store for selling them a knock-off.

Quoth LillFilly
          I don't know if some sort of anonymous investigation could be launched, but then that would look bad for the mall.
          It will look even worse if the customers also decide to sue the mall, and their attorney is demanding to know why the mall did nothing when told one of their tenenats was selling counterfeit merchandise.

Quoth LillFilly
          Someone seemed to imply that it's ok to sell the fake stuff to someone who believes it's real as long as they never actually SAY that it's real; then they can fall back on "well, the customer never asked if it was or not!"
          If you believe that, I have a beautiful Louis Vuitton bag to sell you.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It's fraud, no doubt about it.

And it's illegal, no doubt about that, either.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

In the UK all gold, silver, palladium and platinum jewellery is sent to one of the Assay Offices for testing, and only then will it get the Assay hallmark. I always check for the leopard, castle, anchor or rose in any major jewellery purchase.

Hallmark fraud = bad. I learnt all about hallmarks when I worked at F.Hinds for a short time.
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

The only possibility is that they are plated in sterling silver or 18k gold, not made from it.
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

If the signs are implying that anything in that case is a certain standard of metal, then the customer IS "being told" that it's something it's not.

CYA time, seriously.
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

While I am not an attorney, I believe that as long as you have not bought anything from them, you have no standing to file a criminal complaint. That does not mean you can not offer a tip to the local DA about a criminal activity.

I might start with an investigative reporter at the local news outlet. Someone like the Fox News I-Team.
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Perhaps a word to the local BBB - I think they're the US equivalent of our Trading Standards?
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'd suggest notifying the mall as well cos this can hurt their reputation.

and you can always go in as a customer and bring a magnet along. once you find fake stuff call the police non-emergency line and ask them what your options are.

(i'm betting if you do it within the store they'll freak out though so you might want to decide if you want them knowing or if you want them caught)

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                          Perhaps a word to the local BBB - I think they're the US equivalent of our Trading Standards?
                          Not really. When you get down to it, the BBB has no real power other to say, "There was a complaint against this store, and here is how we feel about how they handled it." They have no enforcement powers. That falls to the individual states in the U.S. and how the local governments handle business fraud.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            Not really. When you get down to it, the BBB has no real power other to say, "There was a complaint against this store, and here is how we feel about how they handled it." They have no enforcement powers. That falls to the individual states in the U.S. and how the local governments handle business fraud.
                            This.

The FTC may be the ones to contact if not the police.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              If you believe that, I have a beautiful Louis Vuitton bag to sell you.
                              But it matches your eyes and shoes so well!!
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X