Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wherein a little Rabbit is detained and almost has a heart attack...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein a little Rabbit is detained and almost has a heart attack...

I just got back into the UK on Wednesday morning, after spending two weeks in Ohio with my American fiance, who I hadn't seen in 12 months. And being as we've both had an awful load of shit to deal with lately, the trip was something I was determined to enjoy.

In fact, it wasn't even the best trip I've had, and I could barely relax at all, but I did try. I was made redundant from my job 2 weeks before coming out, dropped by my tattoo apprenticeship who are refusing to pay me, and then my mum got really sick. I mean, we knew that it was likely not to be as serious as we feared, but we were fearing ovarian cancer at one point. I almost collapsed with relief the day I phoned home and my mum told me the tests showed it was a uterine fibroid. Still fucking nasty, but its not going to kill her and its going to be treated relatively easily. She has even named it ("Bob").

So a little Rabbit (me) was travelling from London to Ohio and had to stop in Atlanta. This little Rabbit was not only under a huge amount of stress but also suffers from anxiety disorder. What followed did NOT help at all.

Customs is old hat for me. I travel on a visa waiver, and usually I have to reassure the customs officer that I WILL be returning to the UK at the end of my trip. Why is that? You see, when a foreigner enters the US (or most foreign countries for that matter) they ask you some important questions, usually including the following:

-What is the purpose of your visit?

-How long will you be here?

-What is your occupation?

Now, when I was much younger and newly engaged, I made the mistake of gushing happily to a customs officer about how I was visiting my fiance and he assumed that I was trying to sneak in to get married. We will be getting married at some point, but we will be going down the legal route by applying for a K1 Visa when the time is right- its a fiance visa, basically, that lets the foreign fiance come into the US, marry the American citizen, and then stay there.

You cannot do this on a Visa Waiver (what you normally fill out on the plane, or rather, fill out online prior to travel). Tourists can use the waiver, and when I'm just visiting, so can I. But the guy freaked out for a moment, until he realised I was going back to work a couple of days after returning to the UK. In 2 weeks.

So here we go, even if you are visiting an American lover, if you can prove you ARE leaving in a reasonable time and that you have a job or other commitment to return for, you are good.

Bunny got made redundant a month ago......

So I wasn't too worried when I approached the officer and handed her my passport, and I certainly wasn't too surprised to discover she was grim and surly, although I was disappointed. Atlanta's staff, in my experience, are friendlier than Cincinatti's (last year I had the most hilarious guy ). No biggie. I say good afternoon, and she starts doing her stuff.

Ah, problem. She's hispanic or something, and English is obviously not her first language. She asks me to repeat myself several times, as my accent appears to confuse her. She comes off quite frosty too. I have a bad feeling...

And then we come to the questions.

"What is the purpose of your visit?"

"I'm visiting my boyfriend, he lives in Ohio, I'm connecting to there," I say. I tend to say boyfriend as "legally" we're not engaged, as in, we don't have a date set.

The expression she gives me is not promising. She is suspicious and looking at me like I'm a criminal. She goes through the regular finger-printing and photo stuff and asks me "What is your job?"

I say "I've actually just been made redundant."

"Wha?"

"I've just been made redundant. I was laid-off."

She asks me to repeat again, and I do.

I elaborate after she asks what my job was. "I worked for a clothing store. They just had to close down a lot of stores in the UK and mine was one of them, I was laid off 2 weeks ago. So I'm just looking for another job now."

Another hard look. "What you do when you go back?"

"Well, I'll just keep looking for another job until I find one."

She then asks me how long I'm staying, and I tell her 2 weeks. I even show her my itinerary showing the date of my flight home.

And she doesn't believe me. She takes my passport, puts it in a zip-lock folder and tells me to go through some big menacing doors, where I find a bunch of foreign men who look like illegals, and some surly-looking men in uniforms. I'm surprised I didn't shit myself. I was terrified.

An officer comes over, asks me to repeat basically everything I've already been ask, I hand over my passport and itinerary and he directs me to sit down. I was absolutely terrified now. That woman had asked me if Bear and I will get married and I told her we will when both have saved enough money to apply for the K1 Visa, because we know its very expensive. I know why she has sent me here, and I'm having horrible visions of being putting in handcuffs and deported.

Thankfully, the guy who has my passport is a nice guy, who sees a young English lady who looks younger than she is, and also looks kinda geeky (I was wearing a Kingdom Hearts t-shirt) appears to have taken pity on me, and realises what has happened. He doesn't keep me waiting more than 15 minutes, takes my Bear's phone number and speaks to his dad for a few minutes. Once confirming who I am, how long I'm staying etc (it really helps that my future father-in-law loves saying my full name XD I have a pretty middle name) he smiles at me, and says "ok, [Rabbit] you wanna talk to him?" and lets me speak to dad-in-law.

After i finish talking to him, he hands me back my passport and things and says "Did we scare you hon?"

I nod and squeak "Yes, you did." ^^;; (I was sweating too).

"Sorry about that. I work with these guys everyday so I know they're not scary really!"

He then tells me to have a lovely time seeing my fiance and to enjoy myself.

So he was super nice, and I was thankful, because I was only seconds away from a proper panic attack (in fact, I'm still astounded that I didn't panic!).

But am I wrong in thinking the female officer could have done something differently? I understand she was only doing her job, but I've been questioned about my relationship before and I've not been detained over it in the past (we've been together 8 years also, if I was gonna try sneaking in illegally, wouldn't I have tried that by now?). She was kinda rude and surly, and made me feel like I was a criminal, that I had done something wrong when I hadn't.

And while I understand that Spanish is widely spoken in America, I also understand that English is the official language and it was not her first language. Surely it was not appropriate to have her waving in English travellers when she was having trouble understanding me? She asked me to repeat myself quite a few times.

Not to be racist or anything about her ethnicity, I don't care about that, its just i think the language problem might have contributed to me almost shitting a brick needlessly <.<
    Last edited by Little Retail Rabbit; 03-23-2012, 09:41 PM.

I've run into some crappy customs officials on both sides of the U.S./Canada border. Sometimes they're just mini-Napoleans, who got their uniforms and promptly developed massive delusions of grandeur.

However, I think some of them are genuinely petrified of doing the wrong thing, especially post-Sept. 11. If this woman was new on the job and/or had just listened to a stern lecture about letting "the wrong person" through, she might have decided "better safe than sorry" and unfortunately you got to bear the brunt of that.

As for the language thing, somebody speaking a second language might be OK with the accent(s) they know but get completely frazzled with an unfamiliar one (it would be interesting to see how she copes with regional U.S. accents ....) If this woman has a problem with virtually all her "customers," then yeah, that's something that should be dealt with. Going through customs can be tense enough without that to complicate things.

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
      And while I understand that Spanish is widely spoken in America, I also understand that English is the official language and it was not her first language. Surely it was not appropriate to have her waving in English travellers when she was having trouble understanding me? She asked me to repeat myself quite a few times.
      Actually, that is incorrect. We have no law, and no portion of the Constitution, making a proclamation about our official language. Many people have complained about this, and tried to get either a law or an amendment passed, but nothing has happened in that regard as yet. As such, unless her not speaking the language as a native is an impediment to doing her job, we can't say she can't do it.

Now, I understand why you would feel it was, but looking at what happened, you had a mild inconvenience. Scary while it happened, but still mild (15 minute delay, it sounds like). If that's all that happens is a few passengers get an extra 15 minutes added onto a trip that is already quite long, then that's not enough to say it's an impediment to her job. Hell, there are some who would say she did a better job for stopping you, not worse.

Doesn't change that it sucks, and I'm not trying to say it didn't suck. Just trying to explain some of the legal issues and how they're seen over here.

Comment

First, I'm so glad you got to see your fiance. Second, sorry about your job. I was wondering how you were. Third, glad your mom is getting treated and will be fine, and has a sense of humor about it (lol @ "Bob"). Fourth, I understand that they have to ask all kinds of questions at customs, but it still sucks.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Rabbit, that sucks, but I'm glad it all worked out.

After 9/11, the TSA was established as part of the new Homeland Security. They hired thousands of people, most of whom are not paid much, and I don't think there are a lot of job requirements to get a position.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Is it bad that I think you should have told her you work in a clothing store...and not told them you were laid off? I mean, just say something like "I work in retail clothing." I'm not blaming you, I think she overdid it somewhat. They are supposed to be thorough, yes, but also courteous.

It's possible she just picked you at random, too. They do that, and travelers always wonder if they did something to cause that to happen, but they do pick people sometimes for no discernible reason to ask more questions.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

that happened to me a few years ago had the guy quizzing me over how much was in my bank account, and declaring incredulously how i expected to survive in america on £300 for a couple of weeks (was staying at my friends house so no hotel expenses), and kept repeating again and again how he expected me to be on my return flight - and they would be looking for me specifically. i was utterly terrified, and i wasn't even visiting my boyfriend! i was visiting a long time friend, and we were going to wrestlemania! was definitely because i was a single female flying alone with no "obvious" ties to the uk (was still looking for work but wanted to have a blast while i still could). i understand WHY they detained me, but being lectured by a disapproving scary older guy, being threatened with being sent home there and then, and being treated like i was breaking written and unwritten laws didn't do my already skyrocketing stress levels any favors.

fortunately the trip to canada to see my actual boyfriend went off nicely, though it helped massively that the woman quizzing me had already visited the uk before, was nice and non threatening, was familiar with my place of work, and called my boyfriend to verify who i was. i am forever grateful that his mobile had a signal in the airport, i dread to think what would have happened if that was not the case x.x;;

scary experiences, glad they let you through XD

Comment

I used to work at an international airport (private side), and some Customs folks are just DICKS. There was one in particular where I worked that we all dreaded, he'd always make everyone get off the plane and go inside the terminal (private flights, hours 2200-0600). It was a good day if their luggage could stay on board. He was always on a power trip, and liked to mess with anyone he could, just because he could. He tried it with a medivac when I was working and I went over his head. A patient when was just flow in from Canada (closer to the US hospitals than Canadian) CANNOT walk into the terminal to be cleared, or be expected to fill out paperwork to temp clear them...sorry for the rant there, we hated that guy.

In the future, just don't say you are unemployed. Keep your answers short and to the point. The more people "babble" (not saying you were) the more suspicious it makes them. Be polite but to the point. For every plane that comes in from overseas it's hundreds of pax, and for each plane x amount of people have to be pulled for randoms. The longer you take, the longer they have to decide to pull you aside.

I always get pulled for extra checks no matter where I fly, even using an airport ID card. I've learned to just roll with it because I know there is nothing to find. I've had every level of security check me out (gotta love hubby have a TS and me having had a DEA check). Just breath easy and relax. The worse they can do is turn you around...just ask Paris Hilton Japan didn't want her

Comment

Honestly...I am an American citizen...

And when I came back from almost a month in Japan over summer, the customs/whatever was just so rude, surly, and kind of an asshole.

:/ So its not just foreigners. They treat their own like shit.

Comment

Last time I went back from the Netherlands to the US, I also got pulled aside and questioned. He was fairly polite, but he was obviously digging to see if I was stupid enough to say in some format that I had been in the Netherlands to pick up marijuana.

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
                      We will be getting married at some point, but we will be going down the legal route by applying for a K1 Visa when the time is right- its a fiance visa, basically, that lets the foreign fiance come into the US, marry the American citizen, and then stay there.
                      I wish the UK had something like that...nice and simple...Housemate is getting extremely confused over our Gov's visa websites, and they have the nerve to say 'we're too busy to answer your questions'.
                      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                        they have the nerve to say 'we're too busy to answer your questions'.
                        Isn't that their job? Admittedly not their only job but still an important part of it.

Comment

When I went down under with my wife & mother-in-law, it was December so I'd worn my winter coat to the airport & subsequently wore it when changing flights & on arrival, so as to avoid carrying it. This apparently caused enough suspicion on arrival in NZ that I was to have been take & interrogated; they waved me aside, and it was only when my wife & M-i-L followed me over to them that they decided to let me pass unimpeded.
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

My first year, I was actually detained for an hour and searched for drugs!

The second, another goth girl got detained for wearing a trench-coat. I never wear my coat now, just a hoody or a cardigan.

Yeah, I do realise all things considered, I got off lightly, but it was pretty freaking scary and I couldn't help but think if the lady understood English better or else was a little more professional, it might have been avoided.

As for answering the questions in depth, I figure if I give them all the information, I'm just being straight up and honest. My mum told me I shouldn't have told her anything at all, but I said "you have to answer those questions, and if they do somehow find out you're lying, thats even worse!" Its not like you can refuse to answer. I actually didn't think about the fact me being unemployed was a big deal straight away, it dawned on me slowly when this lady was giving me evils. Realising, I tried to elaborate, and being as all the information was the truth (and shortened, as I realised she was having trouble understanding, so I decided to keep it short and sweet), I don't think I came off as babbling nervously. I was trying to be relaxed and to the point. It was when she sent me to the scary office that I began sweating ; ___ ;

Still, the other guy was a star

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Is it bad that I think you should have told her you work in a clothing store...and not told them you were laid off? I mean, just say something like "I work in retail clothing."
                              *snip*
                              I was wondering that myself. Really ... is she going to phone across the Atlantic to make sure you actually have that job?

It sounds like the simplest solution but ... maybe somebody more knowledgeable can address whether this is a good idea ... ?

Comment

Working...
                              X