This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of sucky

Not that bad, but it does highlight a midwestern tendency I don't like. The older generation here (50-70) likes everyone to be the same, think the same, dress the same. If they see difference, they will point it out, sometimes in a joking manner, so as not to appear so critical. It still annoys me, but far less than it used to, and today I was like, "OK, whatever." It's been in the high 60s today and rainy. Since I'm now acclimated, I am wearing layered tanks, crop pants, and flipflops. I WILL wear flipflops as often as I possibly can; I'm an expatriate Southern Californian. So I was coming out of the doctor's office and passed a lady in her 50s or 60s who was wearing a jacket, pants, closed shoes. She looked me up and down and said, "It's raining" in this singsong voice. I just said, "uh, yeah...." and went on my way. So what if she was cold? I felt fine. I don't have to dress like her.

And that reminds me of another weird midwest thing: they're afraid of rain. I'm the one from the desert, people, and it doesn't bother me. Yet, there's so much precip here, and people run to escape it. I don't even know where my umbrella is.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

It's not just people of that generation. They taught it to their kids in their 40s and 50s. I swear, everyone I work with is way more concerned about my feet than their own damn feet.

I wear flip flops or otherwise open toed shoes anytime I can get away with it, until snow sticks for good in the winter.

This weather has been great for tshirts, light long sleeved shirts, but no need for a full on rain suit and closed toed shoes. A little rain won't kill anyone.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
      A little rain won't kill anyone.
      Tell that to Elphaba.
      Quoth Food Lady View Post
      Yet, there's so much precip here, and people run to escape it.
      When you're that much of a wicked .... you have to worry!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I will admit that I sometimes get a little suprised by people running around in 30 degree weather in t-shirts and shorts...but I would never, ever say anything to them. Wear what you want, it's no problem of mine.

I've actually had people make comments to me that I was over-dressed. Excuse me, it was cold when I left the house this morning!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I was out in jeans and flip flops when running errands this evening. My feet are soaked.

Rainbow sandals FTW.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            Tell that to Elphaba.

When you're that much of a wicked .... you have to worry!
            I just got done reading that book "Wicked". It was great!

Comment

And that reminds me of another weird midwest thing: they're afraid of rain. I'm the one from the desert, people, and it doesn't bother me. Yet, there's so much precip here, and people run to escape it. I don't even know where my umbrella is.
              myself and Mr. Katt were once walking in a torrential downpour* loudly commenting on how terrified people were of water falling from the sky, and questioning how horrible it must be for them to shower...we got some nasty looks, especially as we were skipping and jumping in the puddles.

*it started out not so bad but within 15 minutes the sky opened up and the gutters were full, I stood and watched the water come up to my ankles....
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Regarding weather and how people dress, just remember that the definition of a sweater is something a kid has to put on when their mother gets cold.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

heck I'll wear sandels when there is snow on the ground and I am north of 50 AND a transplant (from further south but not that far)
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I WILL wear flipflops as often as I possibly can; I'm an expatriate Southern Californian.
                    As a fellow Southern Californian who does the same, I feel a is needed.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    Rainbow sandals FTW.
                    Hopefully they weren't the black ones! My black Rainbows dye my feet every time they get wet. I usually forget at least one a rain season but they're soooo comfy!
                    Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I have had many a coworker give me weird looks and make comment about my flip flops. I wear them as often as possible.
                      It rained last night and was drizzly this morning so to make sure my new work shoes stayed dry I wore flip flops. I love them.
                      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Um, regarding the rain thing, I have a reason for running if I forget my brolly. I wear glasses, so even a light shower will leave me blind & groping around like Velma without her glasses.

If I've got my brolly, though, I love ambling along watching the world go by.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

You're excused, jester. And I have to say I pictured Irv wearing rainbow-striped sandals. I didn't know that was a brand.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*nods* When I wore glasses I made mad dashes..because nothing worse then not being able to see anything. Now that lasik has taken care of that...I love playing in the rain. Let everybody else do the "Omg I will melt if I get wet" mad dash. The exception is .. if it is COLD rain..then I still dash.
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post

Hopefully they weren't the black ones! My black Rainbows dye my feet every time they get wet. I usually forget at least one a rain season but they're soooo comfy!
                              They aren't.

Pity the weather is getting colder here, but it should warm up again by the end of the week.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X