Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like all these complaints about the weather *dons sunglasses* are being blown out of proportion.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

*dons his Sunglasses of Justice(tm)*

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      Looks like all these complaints about the weather *dons sunglasses* are being blown out of proportion.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Damnit Jay... You got there before I could.
        There had to be DUMB in the water today. - Summerfly413

Comment

I get interrupting for real emergencies in the broadcasters service area. What I don't get is interrupting for some tragedy on the other side of the world. Even if I were inclined to do anything, there is nothing I can or need to do *right now*. That can wait until a commercial break comes up and they can get PSA credit for it.

What really pisses me off is when they interrupt programing to test the system. That can wait until a commercial break at 3AM.

Comment

i thought as long as there was an active warning, they had to be on air. we've had tornado warnings here, and even when it was pretty much out of state and nearing expiration, the weather guys said they had to stay on air until it expired. but im not sure lol >.<

Comment

Way way back, before I was born, there was a program called The Dick Van Dyke Show.

I was watching a rerun of this once (well, my parents were watching it and I was in the room), and in the middle of a joke, in fact in the middle of a sentence, there was a sudden break-in of a news bulletin. I was kind of annoyed, because I wanted to hear how the joke ended.

Turned out it was a phony bulletin that was really just part of the show, as the "burglar" shown in the news report was DvD himself. My mother pointed this out to me, and I complained that I still wanted to know the end of the story. She had a hard time making me understand that they hadn't actually written an end to the story, it was all a put-on. I wonder how many people complained to the TV station that they'd messed up their favorite program by interrupting it like that, not realizing (as I didn't) that it was part of the joke.

(ETA: Now I come to think of it, it seems more likely that it was the "New Dick Van Dyke Show" which ran from 1971-74; I would have been around the right age for that one.)
              Last edited by Shalom; 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Quoth Juggler View Post
                What really pisses me off is when they interrupt programing to test the system. That can wait until a commercial break at 3AM.
                that is what my cable system does ie. run the emergancy test at like 3 - 5am. the DOWNSIDE of that is I am awake (after coming home from work at 2 - 3am) watching TV and in the middle of watching either HBO or a channel that is NOT running infomercials and it get interupted with the test for the next minute or two.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  that is what my cable system does ie. run the emergancy test at like 3 - 5am. the DOWNSIDE of that is I am awake (after coming home from work at 2 - 3am) watching TV and in the middle of watching either HBO or a channel that is NOT running infomercials and it get interupted with the test for the next minute or two.
                  Or during hte only showing of an old obscure movie on one of the classics channels I am trying to record because it is not available anywhere...
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I used to have a book of "National Lampoon's True Facts", and it was a collection of odd and funny newspaper clippings and road signs. One had a clipping of a story regarding a family of three. There was a fire in their house, the fire department was called and arrived, but they didn't want to leave because they were in the middle of an important episode of St. Elsewhere.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                      ...I like Grissom too, people, but...come ON.
                      but...it's GRISSOM!!!
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Around here, it seems that the episodes that get not only interrupted by the emergency tests but also 'edited for time' (usually ever-so-slightly sped up, random bits cut out and ad breaks where there should not be) are the Grissom episodes. That annoys me muchly.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Edited for time more ad space. As if there wasn't enough already.

Comment

SpikeTV used to time-shift the episodes slightly (slot was just longer than one hour) to keep them at the intended running time/ad breaks but still squeeze a few more ads in. While annoying, even that was preferable to what they're doing now (one hour, but the episode is sped up/chopped up/6 ad breaks instead of 4).
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                            X